EDIT:
12/31/2012
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/brake_FAQ.htm
Great read on upgrading your brakes and what to expect from a BBK
Edit:12/26/2012
Added Modshacks install pictures for reference
http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/gti-20-2011-stuff/brembo-brakes/

Hello all,
Figured I would start posting more useful info on here.
Ive been doing alot of research and i wanted to pass this info onto people who want to do this upgrade and arent sure where to start.
There are multiple threads on here about BBK x vs. BBK y. But not alot of comprehensive info on where to get a nice cheap upgrade besides new pads, rotors, tyrolsport brake caliper stiffening kits.

For those that want a Big brake kit at a reasonable price we all know about the porsche boxter/cayenne/taureg brakes but not alot of info on who sells what parts & where to get them at a reasonable price. The following is for the porsche boxter non-s calipers only. THESE ARE NOT THE 17z calipers, that is a completely different caliper.
The following parts are needed if you dont want to read the whole post:

REQUIRED:
Porsche boxter non-s calipers:
Prices listed below
Left- 986 351 421 03
Right- 986 351 422 03

Painted calipers:

Brackets:
Performance diesel- no longer producing them, but are floating around on the net.

apikol.com- only company producing them at this time that i know of.

brake lines:
Ive heard from multiple people that the stock lines will work with a new banjo bolt: M10 x 1.0 banjo. Not sure if this is true or not.

Apikol sells the front lines for $80 on their site, which comes with banjo bolts & crush washers.
http://apikol.com/products-page/brake-components/dot-approved-braided-ss-brake-lines/

boxter non-s brake pads:
Simple search for brake pads using whichever brand you like just remember to use 1999-2004 boxter base in your search criteria.

Brake fluid:
Honestly I would use Super blue brake fluid for the first flush and then alternate with a yellow/clear fluid for the next change.

Bolts:

Use Stock Carrier to strut bolts for the apikol bracket. I am unsure about the performance diesel bracket

Use these for the apikol bracket only!
M12x1.5x62 *Note* These did not work on my Perf Diesel Bracket. I purchased the apikol bracket instead
http://apikol.com/products-page/brake-components/bolts-porsche-caliper-to-bracket-short/

Boxter-s Brake Dampeners
These will be inserted into the pistons of the caliper to assist with getting rid of the brake squeal that people experience,

Price is $18 each, x 4 per car. $72 total... Thank you Modshack
OPTIONAL:
Caliper hardware kit: (if yours doesnt come with them)
996 352 959 01

Caliper crossover tube aka brake caliper connecting line:
These can strip out easily so its good to know where to go for them.
Ecs has them for 35.50 a piece
Left: 996 352 962 00
right: 996 352 961 00

Caliper bleeder screw:

930 351 919 00

Rotors
You can use the rotors you have on your car as long as they are 312x25mm
aka stock gti front rotors. golf & tdi guys will have to buy them.

Now for the long detailed version
First off are the calipers:
1999-2004 Porsche boxter non-s calipers
Part numbers:
Left- 986 351 421 03
Right- 986 351 422 03

The cheapest places to find them are ebay, auto wreckers, etc.
These can be found from anywhere between $150-$250 per caliper

The next place I looked was at sonnerporscheoemparts:
http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/pa...ake=Porsche&action=oePartSearch&siteid=215405
They go for $315 per side + shipping with no core charge. Quite nice honestly, but remember you will also have to buy the additional hardware listed above.

The next place I looked was ecstuning.com
They go for $347.88 + shipping each

Germanautoparts.com has them for
$433.34 + shipping each :iono: not sure why they are so expensive but if your on the east coast you will get them in 2 days or less.

Another option is to go through apikol directly, they sell both of them for:
$730 for both + shipping.

Lastly the other places you could look is vwvortex, golfmk5 & here at golfmk6. People are occasionally selling them due to cars being sold, wrecked, different direction, etc. I was able to find them on vortex for $600 shipped brand new.

Next are the brackets needed to mount the caliper to your hub.
As said above performance-diesel used to sell a kit but has since stopped making them. Apikol is now the only place I can find brackets unless you decide to have them custom made, depending on your connections/contacts.

Next are the brake lines. As stated above i have heard that you can use stock lines with a banjo fitting as long as you use a M10x1.0 bolt & crush washers. But I personally would just buy apikol's lines since they are only $80 and come with banjo bolts & crush washers already. You will loose the stock gromet though and you will have to use the supplied zip ties to secure them.

Next are the brake pads. Ecs tuning sells alot of choices from
pagid
textar
ebc
mintex
There are many other choices, really its up to you.

Rotors will be the stock size 312x25mm from the gti. You can use the stock blanks or use cross drilled/slotted/cross drilled & slotted.

From what I have been reading you will need a minimum of 5mm spacers per side to clear the stock 18in wheels that come on the gti.

Brake fluid needs to be flushed during this change since you will be changing out your brake lines

ATE super blue is a good choice.

So overall this has been my cost doing this project:
Porsche brakes: $600
Brackets: $50
Lines: $80
Brake Fluid: ATE super blue : $15.13 x 3 = $45.39
EBC Redstuff: $120.37
Total: $895.76
Thats $1000 less than all other kits out there. If your willing to put in the work on sourcing these parts its the best kit available for the money.
Ill be putting these on as soon as the calipers arrive.
So now that I am done with this long long post If I have missed anything feel free to let me know and ill make corrections. For those that have done this already, post up any issues you have come across for the new crowd.

Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Well done, nice review !!

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Well done, nice review !!

Thanks. Ill be posting install pictures once all things are delivered.

I also updated the post with bolts for the bracket and caliper

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
Sub'd

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
This most likely the route I will be going but I would like floating rotors does anybody make stock replacment floating rotors for our cars?

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
This most likely the route I will be going but I would like floating rotors does anybody make stock replacment floating rotors for our cars?

racingbrake.com makes stock 2 piece rotors for a decent price.

Just stay far far away from their calipers, Crossover tubes & bleeder screws tend to burst causing alot of issues.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
racingbrake.com makes stock 2 piece rotors for a decent price.

Just stay far far away from their calipers, Crossover tubes & bleeder screws tend to burst causing alot of issues.

Cool I know all the horror stories about their calipers but will check out their rotors

DSF767

Ready to race!
This is a nice BBK upgrade. Ugh, now I may have to rethink my Spring Mods and get a set of these before I do my sway's decisions decisions.

I have about 12k miles on my car if I was going to do this would you recommend getting new front rotors or would you use the stock ones?

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
This is a nice BBK upgrade. Ugh, now I may have to rethink my Spring Mods and get a set of these before I do my sway's decisions decisions.

I have about 12k miles on my car if I was going to do this would you recommend getting new front rotors or would you use the stock ones?

Stock ones are fine as long as they arent scored. However you will be getting new pads so its something to consider. OEM blanks will be just fine

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't buy crap from RacingBrake. That's just my .02. I was one of the folks that got suckered into buying their big brake kit. Biggest mistake I've ever made. Ended up replacing it with the Wilwood kit for $1500. RacingBrake has the worst customer service and their pieces are overseas garbage.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
I wouldn't buy crap from RacingBrake. That's just my .02. I was one of the folks that got suckered into buying their big brake kit. Biggest mistake I've ever made. Ended up replacing it with the Wilwood kit for $1500. RacingBrake has the worst customer service and their pieces are overseas garbage.
Yea I saw the horrible posts they made on their forum regarding the issues with the crossover tubes & bleeder screws. Im shocked they are still in business with attitudes like that. Fortuneately their rotors havent disintegrated during a driving session. I cant imagine what kind of carnage would be caused if the bolts failed on the 2 piece setup

Lighter wheels & tires would be a better choice than two piece rotors.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
Direct fit. Quality kit for a great price. Look up the part number on Wilwood's web site and then search for it on Summit for their price. It's ~$300 cheaper than direct from Wilwood. I have a little over 2000 miles on my kit and I have absolutely no complaints.