GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to OEM Golf R Bumper Conversion - Parts List & Tips

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've just recently done this and I didn't see any list like this that existed. It would have saved me a huge headache knowing exactly everything that I needed.

5K0807217CNGRU - Bumper Cover
5K0955110GGRU - Headlight washer cover
5K0955109GGRU - Headlight washer cover
5K0853671J041 - Center Grille
5K0853665E041 - Side Grille
5K0853666E041 - Side Grille
5K0853950A - End plate for side grille
5K0853949C9B9 - End plate for side grille
5K0805915B9B9 - Valance Panel Bracket
5K0805903F9B9 - Valance Panel.
5K0807723F - Support piece
5K0807724F - Support piece
5K0941055B - Daytime Run Lamp
5K0941056B - Daytime Run Lamp
1K5945071B - Side Marker
1K5945072B - Side marker

N90959101 - Speed nut (x2)
N90974701 - Self tapping screw (x6 minimum)

Kufatec Adapter for LED DRLs. Make sure you select halogen or xenon as appropriate. These plug into your headlight connector and adds an extra harness that plugs into the drl. This allows the drls to function correctly as well. During the day the lights will be bright and at night when your headlights turn on they'll dim so you aren't blinding people. The only issue I had with them was my UU lights don't light up anymore on my headlights. The drl/low/high beam all works and so do my blinkers. The pins are set up a little differently with the kufatech adapter so now the UU lights aren't being powered.

See P1NDLESK1N's post for help with coding.

If you have a neuspeed intercooler you'll have a couple extra issues, but they're easy fixes. The bottom slat on the center grille had to be shaved a little bit in 2 spots. The bumper just sits a little too close down there. The other problem with the IC is that the silicone hoses will also be in the way of the side grilles. For this one all I had to do was remove the hoses off the IC, cut maybe 2 inches off the driver side and 1 inch off the passenger side. After reinstalling the hoses there was enough clearance.

You'll have to remove the foam that slides onto the bumper beam, or you might be able to shave it down. I just removed it. The bottom corner of the bumper beam needs to be trimmed off in order for the side grilles to fit as well.

I also had to trim a couple pieces off of one of the valence parts. They were keeping the bumper from lining up correctly underneath the car.

The 6 screws I recommended are for screwing in the DRLs to the bumper. You'll need 4 of them for that. I felt like a full length screw was going to damage the plastic on the DRL, so I cut 4 of them in half. I couldn't find the correct screw for those. The other 2 are to screw the 2 support pieces to the bumper too. They're probably not really needed, my oem bumper didn't have them screwed down, but it looked like they should have been.

I'd order a few extra screws just in case, but the R bumper should use just as many screws, maybe 2 more.

When you're doing test fits you'll at least want the valence parts installed. It gives the bumper its proper shape. I'd have the 2 support pieces installed as well, those prevent drooping under the headlights.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Very nice writeup. About the kufatec adapter, I'm a little lost; this is to adapt and make the r bumper fog lights work, to run the LED drls in the headlights, both? What if I'm running an hid kit but was halogen from the factory, would I select xenon now? Lol.

PS how are you liking the UU lights? Good cutoff, any fogging issues?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Very nice writeup. About the kufatec adapter, I'm a little lost; this is to adapt and make the r bumper fog lights work, to run the LED drls in the headlights, both? What if I'm running an hid kit but was halogen from the factory, would I select xenon now? Lol.

PS how are you liking the UU lights? Good cutoff, any fogging issues?

The adapter you need is based on your factory options. If you had factory halogens but now you have aftermarket HIDs you still want the halogen adapter.

The OEM LED DRLs come with a 3 pin harness so there's no way to connect the foglight harness to them. Your only option to get the OEM LED DRLs working on a gti are to splice wires, or order this adapter. It's basically a headlight harness but it has a 3rd harness coming off of it that goes down to the LED DRL. I've disabled my headlights as DRLs, so now my only DRLs are the LEDs and they're on at full brightness when being used as DRLs. When I switch my headlights on the DRLs dim.

I believe Replica R kits come with LED DRLs that have a different harness. It's a 2 pin like the foglight harness and they usually come with adapters to hook them up, so you just continue using the foglight harness and don't need to mess with anything else.

I like the UU lights. Good cutoff, good lighting. Just kinda bummed the UU's don't light up anymore because of the new harness.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
thanks for the input! all good info. your setup looks great.

Djalexchang

I've just recently done this and I didn't see any list like this that existed. It would have saved me a huge headache knowing exactly everything that I needed.

1K5945071B - Side Marker
1K5945072B - Side marker

Kufatec Adapter for LED DRLs. Make sure you select halogen or xenon as appropriate. These plug into your headlight connector and adds an extra harness that plugs into the drl. This allows the drls to function correctly as well. During the day the lights will be bright and at night when your headlights turn on they'll dim so you aren't blinding people. The only issue I had with them was my UU lights don't light up anymore on my headlights. The drl/low/high beam all works and so do my blinkers. The pins are set up a little differently with the kufatech adapter so now the UU lights aren't being powered.

If you have a neuspeed intercooler you'll have a couple extra issues, but they're easy fixes. The bottom slat on the center grille had to be shaved a little bit in 2 spots. The bumper just sits a little too close down there. The other problem with the IC is that the silicone hoses will also be in the way of the side grilles. For this one all I had to do was remove the hoses off the IC, cut maybe 2 inches off the driver side and 1 inch off the passenger side. After reinstalling the hoses there was enough clearance.

You'll have to remove the foam that slides onto the bumper beam, or you might be able to shave it down. I just removed it. The bottom corner of the bumper beam needs to be trimmed off in order for the side grilles to fit as well.

I also had to trim a couple pieces off of one of the valence parts. They were keeping the bumper from lining up correctly underneath the car.

The 6 screws I recommended are for screwing in the DRLs to the bumper. You'll need 4 of them for that. I felt like a full length screw was going to damage the plastic on the DRL, so I cut 4 of them in half. I couldn't find the correct screw for those. The other 2 are to screw the 2 support pieces to the bumper too. They're probably not really needed, my oem bumper didn't have them screwed down, but it looked like they should have been.

I'd order a few extra screws just in case, but the R bumper should use just as many screws, maybe 2 more.

When you're doing test fits you'll at least want the valence parts installed. It gives the bumper its proper shape. I'd have the 2 support pieces installed as well, those prevent drooping under the headlights.

Hey thanks for making this post I currently have ordered everything you listed but am having some issues with the R drl. I bought the harness and everything works as should however the led drl in the headlights stopped working once plugged into the fog light harness. I researched and tried coding but no help. Did you have led drl in your oem headlights?

Attachments

• FBDD3AA0-5C99-4CF6-8433-2F8209BB64E7.jpeg
    FBDD3AA0-5C99-4CF6-8433-2F8209BB64E7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 337

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Hey thanks for making this post I currently have ordered everything you listed but am having some issues with the R drl. I bought the harness and everything works as should however the led drl in the headlights stopped working once plugged into the fog light harness. I researched and tried coding but no help. Did you have led drl in your oem headlights?
I had aftermarket lights that replaced my stock halogen lights. I couldn't get the DRLs on the headlight to work with this set up. I got the fog lights in the R bumper to work correctly, but the way the adapter redirects the pins it ends up taking power away from the DRLs in your headlights.

Djalexchang

I had aftermarket lights that replaced my stock halogen lights. I couldn't get the DRLs on the headlight to work with this set up. I got the fog lights in the R bumper to work correctly, but the way the adapter redirects the pins it ends up taking power away from the DRLs in your headlights.
That makes sense, thank you. Did you have happen to have a close up pic of your front bumper with that oem lip that’s supposed to go under?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
That makes sense, thank you. Did you have happen to have a close up pic of your front bumper with that oem lip that’s supposed to go under?
Only the pic above with the trim pieces cut off, but that's more of a trim piece that protects the bottom/edge of the bumper. I never put a lip on it.

Djalexchang

Only the pic above with the trim pieces cut off, but that's more of a trim piece that protects the bottom/edge of the bumper. I never put a lip on it.
Cool, thanks for the help! Currently waiting for the body shop to modify my exhaust to fit the center exit valence then I get it back finally

MagicalOnions

1K5945071B - Side Marker
1K5945072B - Side marker

Hey I’m pretty sure I got that same bumper kit as you, and I was wondering if you could help. So the only fitment problem I’m having at the moment it’s getting the bumper to fit on both sides of the fender, like the clips on the side of the fenders. Itll get on one side, but then the other side pops off, it’s as if the bumper isn’t long enough to reach from one end to the other, thx in advanced!