GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

problems with boost (apr tune) please help

Crunk

Passed Driver's Ed
hello, im having a problem with my car and was wondering if anyone on the forum has or had the same problem. when im accelerating in 4th-6th gears after 3,000 rpm my boost gauge shoots up around 20 psi and my rpms will go down slightly, then after a second it seems to accelerate normal. but it doesnt sound like how it is supposed to sound like when it accelerates with the tune. another thing i thought was weird was that when the problem happens the gear indicator that tells you what gear your in disappears then come back on after the problem stops. im posting 2 videos to try to show what its doing. any info or help would be awesome.

sorry for the shaky video and the glare on the boost gauge but its the best i could do on short notice.

car info:
2012 golf r 2.0t
27,000 miles
mods:
apr stage 1 tune
magnaflow catback
apr stage 1 carbonio intake
new south boost gauge

http://vid848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/halfcrunk/20140908_132847_zpsh7t5m1lw.mp4

http://vid848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/halfcrunk/20140908_133129_zpsvhmms5t7.mp4

zrickety

The Fixer
If the clutch is slipping you will see the rpms drop once it grabs and then the car will accelerate and they go up again. Assuming you tried stock mode and it was normal?? Go easy on it until you save up for a better clutch.

Crunk

Passed Driver's Ed
I took it to a shop who is an Apr dealer, they first thought the same thing about the clutch but after test driving my car and duplicating my problem he said it was something he hasn't encountered before. I also don't feel any loss of power nor do I hear any free reving..... does anyone know if when your clutch slip does the shift indicator disappear then reappear after its done slipping? I will keep the clutch in mind but still looking for more suggestions.

simpson110

Ready to race!
My vote is for clutch also.

Crunk

Passed Driver's Ed
My car did that and it was the clutch. Also what shift indicator?

What I mean by shift indicator is the numbers on top of the middle dash display that show the time and general information. On top of the display it shows when to shift and what gear your in.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
What I mean by shift indicator is the numbers on top of the middle dash display that show the time and general information. On top of the display it shows when to shift and what gear your in.

Yeah, it's still a clutch issue. That indicator is based off of the speed to engine speed ratio. You'll notice that when you disengage the clutch it does the same thing, because the ratios are not known or stable. When the clutch slips it thinks the car isn't in gear.

butchered by autocorrecr

07STitoR

Ready to race!

Really? I never knew haha that's pretty cool. Guess I'll keep an eye on it to see when to shift.

Crunk

Passed Driver's Ed
You can see the rpms flair in the first video. This is caused by the clutch slipping. Time for an upgraded clutch.

i talked to the shop ive been talking to about my problem and asked him if there was a possibility that it might be my clutch. he said that if it was my clutch that was going out then my boost gauge wouldnt read a high reading of 18-20 psi because the engine wouldnt be under a load. since the car is under a load it seems the clutch isnt slipping.

simpson110

Ready to race!
Go ask another mechanic because the one you have doesn't know what he is talking about. You have all the symptoms of a slipping clutch, and this is coming from someone that had a slipping clutch. Put it in stock mode and I bet you don't have any issues.

If your mechanic is so sure it's not the clutch what is his diagnosis then?

07STitoR

Ready to race!
No! Don't! it will just piss you off! I wish I had no knowledge it ever existed. Some people even put black electrical tape over it.

Haha you're right all it does is get you to short shift the crap out of the car and lug the tiny motor to get high mpgs. It tells you to shift to 6th @ 40mph! What simpson said is true switch back on the stock map and it'll go away then you'll realize its the clutch. It's also true that when your clutch is slipping you'll have no load but your clutch isn't slipping bad enough for that to happen.

Crunk

Passed Driver's Ed
OK, sorry for keep bugging about my situation but I put it in stock mode and the problem is still constant. Only difference is the boost is reading 15psi instead of 20 psi. Any more ideas other then the clutch? Again sorry but I have no idea whats wrong and don't wanna spend Hella money having a shop test everything to find out whats wrong. Thanks again.

simpson110

Ready to race!
Still confident it's the clutch. How long has the issue been going on for? If it's been happening for awhile now the clutch is probably glazed badly enough to let it slip at stock power levels.

Also seeing you are in the Bay Area you are most likely using the 91 map which is only a 30 hp gain over stock. So really not that much of a difference.