GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Your opinion on the start of my build!

NJBoostedGTI

I do with Cobb + stratified for the tune, the turbo back is way more pricey than it should be. Cts has it for 1149.

Bin the APR map and go Stratified/COBB. See what deals you can get from Stratified on an exhaust too. I'd try just a downpipe by itself first to save you some $$. As far as intakes, the APR is really expensive, you can get others for way less

Pretty solid so far, but like others have mentioned, consider a Cobb AP + Stratified combo. Stratified makes some great tunes, and have excellent customer service. With the AP, you can monitor and data log. The AP can also read trouble codes.

Personally, I'd go with the CTS Turbo-back for less money. In my opinion, valved exhaust is just a ploy to sell you hardware you don't need.

The DV+ is a solid investment. I have one on my car.

Regarding intake, the APR is nice looking, but you can get the IE intake or similar. my IE is great quality. These are much louder than the APR, bonus if you care about aesthetics.

+1 on another cobb AP and stratified tune. I would also recommend the Integrated Engineering intake over the APR intake. https://www.performancebyie.com/ie-mk5-mk6-2-0t-tsi-high-flow-cold-air-intake-kit

As others have said, I would pick a different intake...BSH and IE come to mind for similar money, you get a more complete kit. Stage 1 tune is great, and I've had great experience with APR but I would find a local tuner to port flash vs removing the ECU. Shopping around for downpipes/catbacks can save you a bunch of money. I wouldn't bother with the DV unless yours is acting up. My next suggestion would be a good subframe mount and lower control arm bushings.

Thanks everyone for the help! I've decided to switch to the IE intake and cobb + stratified tune. Also, looking to go either CTS downpipe or the turboback, havent decided yet. Sticking with the DV+ as well, heard its great figured why not.

My next question would then be, does anyone have a link on the correct cobb + tune on stratified please? Also, what maps would you suggest if any? How would i get the APR map? Or should i just leave it?

Last edited:

NJBoostedGTI

Well what do you want from your car? Based on your list the noises it makes are important to you.

A downpipe would be a great start along with a stage 2 tune. Granted your tires are up to the task of putting more power to the ground.

I'm not sure how I feel about shipping ur ECU. I'd rather flash in my garage with unitronic uniconnect. Not a fan of the Cobb access port. Not that it's bad I just don't prefer the extra gear and it hogs the odb2 port.

After that you should look at CAI I really like Unitronic or Integrated Engineering. The apr ones can turn yellow after awhile. The flutter noises sound good.

Anyways after adding power mounts would be a good pick to reduce wheel hop and torque steering. The 034MS recommendation is solid. I would get street density of you're going to DD. Also the deadset kits are very good.

Depending on where you live if it gets hot a FMIC is a solid investment to give your car more endurance and not just a 1 pull pony.

Based on where you drive if you want extra suspension bits 034ms again makes a solid rsb which is designed to be used with stock fsb. If you need more you could go 28/24 sway combo front and rear H&R are popular. You could go as far as braces and custom control arms and end links as well. Up to u.

Brakes. The brake stiff kit is nice. And depending on ur application you might want to go the bbk route.

Exhaust I always feel are show off peices but deep down I might just be jealous.

If you have any plans for big turbo just go straight into it. Don't baby setup into it. Its important to know what you want from the car before you start modding. DD vs weekend track monster vs slammed and camber you should have an end goal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My plan isn't to go big on it. I just want a nice quick and fun car that i can dd. Also, would love for the best sound possible. Coming from the intake/turbo/dv/exhaust, whatevers needed, to have a clean crisp legit sound. I've looked up videos on sounds and reviews on a couple different parts. Decided to go with the IE intake and Cobb + stratified (only cause it's been reccomended a lot and i know someone whose focus ST is cobbed and it sounds amazing and is pretty quick.) Sticking with the DV+ and stuck between either the CTS downpipe or the full CTS turboback exhaust.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
My plan isn't to go big on it. I just want a nice quick and fun car that i can dd. Also, would love for the best sound possible. Coming from the intake/turbo/dv/exhaust, whatevers needed, to have a clean crisp legit sound. I've looked up videos on sounds and reviews on a couple different parts. Decided to go with the IE intake and Cobb + stratified (only cause it's been reccomended a lot and i know someone whose focus ST is cobbed and it sounds amazing and is pretty quick.) Sticking with the DV+ and stuck between either the CTS downpipe or the full CTS turboback exhaust.
Good deal. I'm focused on an oem+ DD so I've got a metric ton of links in my build thread if u wanted to cruise over them. I also include links to buy maintenance items with diy vids.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone for the help! I've decided to switch to the IE intake and cobb + stratified tune. Also, looking to go either CTS downpipe or the turboback, havent decided yet. Sticking with the DV+ as well, heard its great figured why not.

My next question would then be, does anyone have a link on the correct cobb + tune on stratified please? Also, what maps would you suggest if any? How would i get the APR map? Or should i just leave it?

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=209_219

So you can go two routes here; Cobb AP + Stratified flash tune, which is a general tune Stratified has, sort of tailored to the typical aftermarket mods.

Or, you can go Cobb AP + Stratified pro-tune. The tune will be built based on your car and your specific mods. This will require you to data log, send logs to and work with your assigned tuner. You go back and forth until you are satisfied with your tune.

Add the "crackles" tune for $10 for purely aesthetic, if that's your thing. They are addicting. :)

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I love when people call a few mods a "build" lol... if you're gonna put rods in, do some serious modding, etc it's a build otherwise it's just a mod list imo.
But you are "STALK" lol jk.

Here you go peeps.
Buy the AP from them and get the tune free for now.
http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209_213&products_id=677

They custom build the file to the mods you have on your car... so you might wanna save this till last or if you are gonna order everyhthing at once... otherwise you will have to pay them to change your tune to the mods as you add them.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Here you go peeps.
http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209_213&products_id=677

They custom build the file to the mods you have on your car... so you might wanna save this till last or if you are gonna order everyhthing at once... otherwise you will have to pay them to change your tune to the mods as you add them.

Yeah, it came across as jerkish I guess... didn't mean it like that really, I would call a big turbo, motor work, etc a "build" not a stage 2 or k04 set up, that's just me.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

So you can go two routes here; Cobb AP + Stratified flash tune, which is a general tune Stratified has, sort of tailored to the typical aftermarket mods.

Or, you can go Cobb AP + Stratified pro-tune. The tune will be built based on your car and your specific mods. This will require you to data log, send logs to and work with your assigned tuner. You go back and forth until you are satisfied with your tune.

Add the "crackles" tune for $10 for purely aesthetic, if that's your thing. They are addicting. :)

You only get the pro-tune if you have a bigger turbo. Otherwise you get the customized flash tune with or without revisions. The customized flash tune is built for your mods as well, but revisions are only done if you paid for it.

Metzgerd2

I'm about to part out my car if your interested I have full bolt ons

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

CHerna

Ready to race!
You only get the pro-tune if you have a bigger turbo. Otherwise you get the customized flash tune with or without revisions. The customized flash tune is built for your mods as well, but revisions are only done if you paid for it.

Whoops. I've been calling it wrong this whole time. :eek:

NJBoostedGTI

Good deal. I'm focused on an oem+ DD so I've got a metric ton of links in my build thread if u wanted to cruise over them. I also include links to buy maintenance items with diy vids.

Sweet! I will definitely give them a look over, Thank you!

Here you go peeps.

They custom build the file to the mods you have on your car... so you might wanna save this till last or if you are gonna order everything at once... otherwise you will have to pay them to change your tune to the mods as you add them.

I appreciate the links, thank you! Have any of you guys been around the Cobb AP + Stratified tune? Everyone seems to be recommending it but someone I know warned me about them blowing up engines. He's been out of the game for a while now so I took it with a grain of salt but definitely curious if any of yall heard such things?

Yeah, it came across as jerkish I guess... didn't mean it like that really, I would call a big turbo, motor work, etc a "build" not a stage 2 or k04 set up, that's just me.

Haha all good brotha, not looking for people to sugar coat anything. Looking for help, if I'm doing or saying something wrong I'd want someone to correct me on it!

Roctre

Ready to race!

I appreciate the links, thank you! Have any of you guys been around the Cobb AP + Stratified tune? Everyone seems to be recommending it but someone I know warned me about them blowing up engines. He's been out of the game for a while now so I took it with a grain of salt but definitely curious if any of yall heard such things?

Haha all good brotha, not looking for people to sugar coat anything. Looking for help, if I'm doing or saying something wrong I'd want someone to correct me on it!

Everyone that has been recommending the Stratified tune runs it to my knowledge, including myself. I haven't heard one thing about someones engine blowing up from there tune and I check the thread for the tunes every time someone posts.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Not a correction at all, just how I personally see it, but each person has their own ways. Nodding isn't bad, get to a certain point, and it just get so expensive with the smaller things... that's been my experience.

Laimface

Ready to race!
someone I know warned me about them blowing up engines. He's been out of the game for a while now so I took it with a grain of salt but definitely curious if any of yall heard such things?

Your mate is telling you what he tells his customers about competitor mappers to reel you into a sale, if he was still doing it.

Not a single report of a GTI blowing up due to a Stratified map, in the age of forums and Facebook, as soon as it happens everyone will know about it.

Most of the crappy maps are from that big company beginning with A and ending with PR. Issues galore.

NJBoostedGTI

Everyone that has been recommending the Stratified tune runs it to my knowledge, including myself. I haven't heard one thing about someones engine blowing up from there tune and I check the thread for the tunes every time someone posts.

Nice! Figured as much, it seems extremely enjoyed and is very well spoken about. Chances are im going this route. Thanks!

Your mate is telling you what he tells his customers about competitor mappers to reel you into a sale, if he was still doing it.

Not a single report of a GTI blowing up due to a Stratified map, in the age of forums and Facebook, as soon as it happens everyone will know about it.

Most of the crappy maps are from that big company beginning with A and ending with PR. Issues galore.

Haha, APR was my original plan, thank god I came to the forums and didn't follow through with that goal!

CHerna

Ready to race!

lmaooo you're not wrong.

But seriously, I have not heard of Stratified and blowing engines once. Not even from the Focus/Fiesta ST community.