GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed charge/discharge pipes installed!

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
ok, I have been googling and cannot find this info, what is the discharge pop? is it where gas from the exaust goes then tubed into the turbo? thanks

skotcoop

Ready to race!
ok, I have been googling and cannot find this info, what is the discharge pop? is it where gas from the exaust goes then tubed into the turbo? thanks

http://www.neuspeed.com/prod_images/xlarge/48.02.71_img2.jpg

There it is. This view is looking at the right/under side of the engine from the right wheel well. The forward side of the discharge pipe connects to the intercooler while the aft end connects to the turbo discharge end. The air initially comes from the intake.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!

skotcoop

Ready to race!
So this discharge pipe takes the exaust gas then pushes it through the throttle body?
The discharge pipe links the intercooler and the turbo. After the intercooler it goes into the "charge" pipe, then into the TB. The exhaust chamber of the turbo is separate.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
The discharge pipe links the intercooler and the turbo. After the intercooler it goes into the "charge" pipe, then into the TB. The exhaust chamber of the turbo is separate.

Ok, so i apologize but i need a step by step. Turbos work by taking exhaust and running a turbine, aka turbo, the turbine spinning then powers somthing that blows more air into the intake.

What is an intercooler, does it literally cool exhaust fumes coming into the turbo?

What is this discharge pipe purpose, if the exhaust gas is cooled in the intercooler, why does it go though this discharge, aka charge pipe?

Thanks.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!

Also isnt intercooler a bit of a miscnomer, since it is technically not btwn anything, but after the exhaust, so maybe aftercooler is more correct.

Thank for any help.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
The quality and fit of the Neuspeed pipes are worth the cost alone. The factory pancake design is bad. To have that much restriction right after the turbo is ridiculous. And to the guy who posted above about a lack of diy, the included instructions walk you through step-by-step. Its more time-consuming then anything considering all the belly pan screws and stuff that needs removed.

I have to disagree to "the fins being a major air flow cut" though, if anything the fins acts as a straightener, right before the air is entered into the throttle body and manifold. I'm not sure if removing these will hurt things but I do know that a straighter path of air is faster then turbulent.

A smaller circumfrence increases velocity though...so is bigger diameter a better thing...perhaps stock is not worse...itd be interesting to do the math

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Ok, so i apologize but i need a step by step. Turbos work by taking exhaust and running a turbine, aka turbo, the turbine spinning then powers somthing that blows more air into the intake.

What is an intercooler, does it literally cool exhaust fumes coming into the turbo?

What is this discharge pipe purpose, if the exhaust gas is cooled in the intercooler, why does it go though this discharge, aka charge pipe?

Thanks.

You should google how turbos work instead of being lazy.

But I'll help you out.

1) Yes exhaust causes a turbine to spin, which then pulls in air from the intake
2) This air is then pushed out of the discharge pipe and sent to the intercooler, where it is cooled. (You can learn about how intercooler work later)
3) After the intercooler, the air goes up the charge pipe, through the throttle body, into the intake manifold, and then finally it enters the engine where gasoline and air are then lit by a spark to create an explosion.
4) The exhaust is then sent out of the engine and starts the whole process again.

Also isnt intercooler a bit of a miscnomer, since it is technically not btwn anything, but after the exhaust, so maybe aftercooler is more correct.

Thank for any help.

It is in between the turbo and the intake manifold :iono:

A smaller circumfrence increases velocity though...so is bigger diameter a better thing...perhaps stock is not worse...itd be interesting to do the math

People have done the math; people far smarter than you. There is a balance between a bigger/smaller diameter. Smaller can have a higher velocity, but won't allow as much air to flow through.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
You should google how turbos work instead of being lazy.

But I'll help you out.

1) Yes exhaust causes a turbine to spin, which then pulls in air from the intake
2) This air is then pushed out of the discharge pipe and sent to the intercooler, where it is cooled. (You can learn about how intercooler work later)
3) After the intercooler, the air goes up the charge pipe, through the throttle body, into the intake manifold, and then finally it enters the engine where gasoline and air are then lit by a spark to create an explosion.
4) The exhaust is then sent out of the engine and starts the whole process again.

It is in between the turbo and the intake manifold :iono:

People have done the math; people far smarter than you. There is a balance between a bigger/smaller diameter. Smaller can have a higher velocity, but won't allow as much air to flow through.

Very condescending....with people far smarter comment. Whats that all about?

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Very condescending....with people far smarter comment. Whats that all about?

Glad that was your only take away.
What I am saying is that there are people whose job is to find to best diameter for the discharge pipe. They research and test to find a proven optimal size, they don't just have one thought and decide that's better.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys, I plan on doing this install hopefully soon as I picked up these pipes off of a forum member.

How PITA is it to remove/reinstall the belly pan? Can this entire install be accomplished by jacking up 1 side only? I don't have access to a lift and have two jack stands and a pump at home... Thanks.

BTW- Sorry for bringing this thread up from the grave but it's better than starting a new one, no? I SEARCHED FIRST! :D

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
So I just got to this today. The discharge pipe was not a bad install at all. I initially had some confusion with the adapters that it came with because I forgot that was for the stock turbo and with K04 I had already the increase diameter so that threw me off initially on what to do with the pieces. Instructions didn't state it either. Otherwise, easy enough.

Now, the charge pipe. Wtf do you need to use to take those damn T30 screws out??? I swear, I nearly snapped my socket wrench trying to remove it and they didn't budge at all. If anything I felt like they were wearing and that's the last thing I need.

Is it even worth it to remove in the end? Someone posted in another charge pipe thread that he was going to put his OEM back on because it was actually designed better for the throttle... I'm not sure but I don't know if I want to tackle this again... At least I got the recommended one installed of the two. Can't say I feel or hear anything different but my car is already loud enough to probably pick up anything extra.