GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changed my DSG Fluid, But need explainations

GTIWolfsburg

Passed Driver's Ed
So recently I went to a dealership to change my DSG fluid, brought my own fluid - L/molly

After everything was done, I've noticed a few things that if anyone would want to explain to me how it works.

First important thing:

I've noticed a little acceleration doesn't make a small clicking/clanking sound anymore?

Before it would happen a lot as I would drive up my steep driveway at low RPM

Second important thing:

Idk why but my exhaust has gotten quieter?

Before it was loud and obnoxious to me [using APR DP + Akrapovic link+cat]

Third important thing:

I've noticed at high RPMs, my brake pedal [when not stepping on the brake/applying pressure] it shakes, even when i lay my foot on the side of it.

I've also noticed my steering wheel doesn't shake? but it feels like I can feel the road?

If anyone can help me explain why these are happening, thank you.

I was thinking, maybe he fixed an exhaust leak, that I wasn't aware of? But the notes the dealership told me, they didn't say there was an exhaust leak.

The notes just said that they fixed a center cap, which i'd assume he broke the center cap when taking off the tire.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Only thing I can think of was maybe they tightened stuff? Would explain noises if things were moving. Would also explain why you're having more vibrations now that it's tighter.

The DSG job doesn't require anything in the subframe to be tightened so my thought is maybe tech noticed it and torqued it down and now u feel it.

Maybe they filled it too full and it could be transferring more vibrations to cabin but that's a little far fetteched.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Uberryan

Banned
Check to make sure nothing like an intake pipe or anything else is resting on the brake fluid res. That'll make a vibration in the brake pedal for sure, and that would've been removed for the DSG filter replacement.

GTIWolfsburg

Passed Driver's Ed
Only thing I can think of was maybe they tightened stuff? Would explain noises if things were moving. Would also explain why you're having more vibrations now that it's tighter.

The DSG job doesn't require anything in the subframe to be tightened so my thought is maybe tech noticed it and torqued it down and now u feel it.

Maybe they filled it too full and it could be transferring more vibrations to cabin but that's a little far fetteched.

Hmm, i was thinking that they tightened my exhaust as well. But i can say this i bought 6 liters of Liq molly and all were used, none left. But I've heard people using like 6Liters? Since he's a mechanic for VW i'm sure he knew what he was doing..
So i'm assuming he most likely tightened it down. Kinda happy, because I've been worried of exhaust leak for a while now. But should I be worried about the pedal vibrations? [ I know for a fact that my 3" downpipe goes into a 2.25" catback/link pipe. because I was worried a while ago if that would create back pressure, which is probably causing the vibrations? ]

Last edited:

GTIWolfsburg

Passed Driver's Ed
Check to make sure nothing like an intake pipe or anything else is resting on the brake fluid res. That'll make a vibration in the brake pedal for sure, and that would've been removed for the DSG filter replacement.

From looking at it , it didn't look like they were touching the res, BUT i did notice that i lost a screw into the abyss a long time ago for my APR intake, it seems like they replaced it lol.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
From looking at it , it didn't look like they were touching the res, BUT i did notice that i lost a screw into the abyss a long time ago for my APR intake, it seems like they replaced it lol.
1. Don't assume someone's a good mechanic because of the dealership they work for.

2. While engine is cold and car is level, pull the drain plug for the trans fluid and whatever comes out is extra and could have been added at colder temps. (Don't worry there should be a overflow tube still threaded inside that will keep the proper amount of fluid contained, if the techs didn't forget it or break it etc...)

3. Check your braking system. (Pads and rotors.)

4. They shouldn't have taken your wheels off to swap DSG fluid. Maybe you were missing a cap and they did you a solid and threw one in. If they took your wheel off then I'd be suspicious of whatever else they might have did for no reason.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
2. While engine is cold and car is level, pull the drain plug for the trans fluid and whatever comes out is extra and could have been added at colder temps. (Don't worry there should be a overflow tube still threaded inside that will keep the proper amount of fluid contained, if the techs didn't forget it or break it etc...)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just wanted add additional emphasis to the cold engine part.

When I did my first dsg change a whole bunch of extra oil came out. Dealership/factory I don't think care if they overfill.