GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Options for an Awesome Daily Driver or Track Car

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
MY CURRENT “AWESOME DAILY DRIVER” SETUP:

Springs
Installed Driver Gear springs with new MK6 GTI replacement strut mounts, bearings, nuts, bolts (~3/4” drop)
Sway Bars
Installed H&R 26mm front and 22mm rear, both set to soft
Front Subframe
Installed TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Collar kit has been installed along with replacing the other subframe bolts with Audi subframe bolt – part number N-908-235-01
Pendelum Mount
Installed HPA red 75 durometer polyurethane lower mount and kept OEM rubber upper mount. Originally had the Autotech metal insert which destroyed my lower mount, installed the HPA mount but realized I still had the OEM rubber upper mount.
Other Factors
New Jersey roads, 4-door MK6 GTI, 30,000 miles with recent Peloquin LSD/USP Steel Shift Forks/Motul Gear 300 fluid installed, Stoptech BBK, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch Disk
Future Plans
APR Stage 3, 19” Hartmann 256 wheels, Continental DW 225/35/19 tires

SUSPENSION UPGRADE OPTIONS:

Shocks & Struts
Option 1 = $657 Bilstein Sport Non-Adjustable Shocks & Struts for lowered vehicles
Option 2 = $717 Bilstein HD Non-Adjustable Shocks & Struts for stock height vehicles
Option 3 = $TBD Ohlins Road & Track
Option 4 = $TBD Koni Sport
Reference thread = http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147240

Sick bumpage of a thread

Questions:

Which strut/shock combos are the ones mentioned in Option 1 and 2? Bilstein currently has the B4 (OEM replacement), B6 (Performance) or B8 (Performance Plus) for sale. I'm assuming that Option 1 is the B6 and Option 2 is the B8. Can anyone confirm?

Also, and I realize that this is somewhat of a loaded question, but...what is a "fair" installation price for struts/shocks and DG springs? Is this the sort of job where you'd go to a local suspension place or would you go to a euro specialty shop? I have a great one that I use for engine work, but not sure if it's worth it to spend the extra cash to go there for this kind of a job. I'm sure their hourly rate is going to be higher for the work versus a place like Firestone or whatever who charges less or maybe even a flat fee for strut/shock/spring replacement.

torga

Autocross Champion
Also, and I realize that this is somewhat of a loaded question, but...what is a "fair" installation price for struts/shocks and DG springs? Is this the sort of job where you'd go to a local suspension place or would you go to a euro specialty shop? I have a great one that I use for engine work, but not sure if it's worth it to spend the extra cash to go there for this kind of a job. I'm sure their hourly rate is going to be higher for the work versus a place like Firestone or whatever who charges less or maybe even a flat fee for strut/shock/spring replacement.

From my experience with big chain shops like Firestone, they will not install any parts that you bring them; they will only install parts they can source since that will allow them to honor any warranties. I assume they don't want to deal with angry customers after installing bad parts that the customer brought in. You're best off going to an indie shop to install your parts.

But, if you're at least somewhat handy, you should do it yourself. Shock/strut and coilover install is one of the easier things to do on a car.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
From my experience with big chain shops like Firestone, they will not install any parts that you bring them; they will only install parts they can source since that will allow them to honor any warranties. I assume they don't want to deal with angry customers after installing bad parts that the customer brought in. You're best off going to an indie shop to install your parts.

But, if you're at least somewhat handy, you should do it yourself. Shock/strut and coilover install is one of the easier things to do on a car.

Yeah, using chain place like Firestone was a bad example. I really meant more "mom and pop" type garages. I've got a couple in my town that I'd feel comfortable with taking my car there for non-engine work that I don't feel like doing.

The thought briefly crossed my mind to try to do it myself. I just did full rotor/pads job and a wheel bearing myself and thought it was pretty easy.

Struts? Springs?? Sounds involved. Have to see if there are any vids and go from there.

:iono:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, using chain place like Firestone was a bad example. I really meant more "mom and pop" type garages. I've got a couple in my town that I'd feel comfortable with taking my car there for non-engine work that I don't feel like doing.

The thought briefly crossed my mind to try to do it myself. I just did full rotor/pads job and a wheel bearing myself and thought it was pretty easy.

Struts? Springs?? Sounds involved. Have to see if there are any vids and go from there.

:iono:

The shock/struts are pretty doable if you do your homework. I've done it a few times and it's not terrible. Hardest part is the drivers side clearance. The other three sides are easy. Maybe do the 3 sides and if it's no prob try the driver's side and if you have an issue just have a shop do the one strut. A shop will charge you 1 hour each corner so it's usually about a $500 install.

It is involved but not hard and there are some good write-ups. There is one for the MK5 Jetta that is excellent and it it the same for the MK6 Golf. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here is the one I used first go around. It's for the TDI but it is the same for all golfs and Jettas (GTI, TDI, 2.5L) both MK5 and MK6. Also, a good trick is to get a 1/4" ratchet extension and file it down on 2 sides for a strut spreader tool.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/strut-shock-installation-and-replacement-mk5-vw-tdi-and-audi-a3/

I've done this on a couple of models now and it is the same procedure.

Last edited: