GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

south florida guys --- headliner woes

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
hey, guys.

The headliner on my 2014 GTI is finally starting to succumb to the head and humidity.....sagging considerably.

Any recommendations on where to take the car ? What are your favorites?

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
would love to know tbh mines started sagging back in October really need to fix it. what sucks is my car is pretty low mileage (just hit 40) and it still happened.

Just hit 30 and mine started. Mine is always garaged kept and I do my best not to park in the sun when out, stilled happened last year.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Called a couple of dealers, just to see; one wasn't sure how much, insisted they had to see the car. Another wants close to $1k. That must have sterling silver woven in the black threads, sheesh.

I've got a little over 90k on the car, so I guess the headliner has lasted pretty well; it's garaged at work, but outside the rest of the time.

Going to search around some more, ** still looking for recommendations, guys and gurls** if anyone has any, please :thumbsup:

Uberryan

Banned
I know there's a mobile service that will come to you and do the headliner. I think I was quoted around $360-ish a few years ago. On my MKV this happened within 3 years of original ownership. Then I switched up to the 2011 MK6 and it happened around 2013-2014... so about 3 years into original ownership then. Now it's happening again as of 2016-2017 when I first noticed it drooping in the back hatch area. VW can't get these headliners right. Interior pieces in general are a challenge for them and obviously they aren't concerned about fixing the problem or correcting the glue quality since this also happened on a MKIV Jetta I owned as well...but that was lightly used. Still.

Pretty sure they're completely ok with this as they're essentially creating work for themselves in most cases if each potential failure occurs every 3 years or so. Puts most outside the bumper to bumper.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I know there's a mobile service that will come to you and do the headliner. I think I was quoted around $360-ish a few years ago. On my MKV this happened within 3 years of original ownership. Then I switched up to the 2011 MK6 and it happened around 2013-2014... so about 3 years into original ownership then. Now it's happening again as of 2016-2017 when I first noticed it drooping in the back hatch area. VW can't get these headliners right. Interior pieces in general are a challenge for them and obviously they aren't concerned about fixing the problem or correcting the glue quality since this also happened on a MKIV Jetta I owned as well...but that was lightly used. Still.

Pretty sure they're completely ok with this as they're essentially creating work for themselves in most cases if each potential failure occurs every 3 years or so. Puts most outside the bumper to bumper.

Hey, FocalPoint; thanks for the nudge. I looked for mobile and I see that one I think you mean. I believe I'll try them, reviews seem good. I thought I had escaped the headliner thing but it suddenly went from perfect to fallen in just the last two days.
I guess no one makes headliners like they used to; VW didn't seem surprised, mostly 'yeah, we know they fail.' But I know some BMW people whose cars are doing the 'headliner flop' thing too. And it's outside warranty. Phhhffft.

torga

Autocross Champion
Not from FL, but I got my headliner done at an indie shop in NM for ~$380. It wasn't the OEM fabric, but I choose the closest fabric they had in terms of color and texture. It looks great now.
Commenting mainly to give you an input on my price paid.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I ended up taking my headliner out myself and dropping it off at an upholstery shop. Only charged me $130.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Not from FL, but I got my headliner done at an indie shop in NM for ~$380. It wasn't the OEM fabric, but I choose the closest fabric they had in terms of color and texture. It looks great now.
Commenting mainly to give you an input on my price paid.

Appreciate that feedback, thanks Torga.

I ended up taking my headliner out myself and dropping it off at an upholstery shop. Only charged me $130.

Ha. More power to you, you're braver in that than I am! Tried that on my MK4 once, I broke more interior things than I fixed, and things never seemed to fit back properly. I'm good on engine components and so forth, I'll leave the interior trim stuff to someone who knows where all the little clips and tabs or whatever, go.

For those interested locally, I'll leave some feedback here on how it goes, I'm set up with an appt with the mobile repair business tomorrow.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion

Ha. More power to you, you're braver in that than I am! Tried that on my MK4 once, I broke more interior things than I fixed, and things never seemed to fit back properly. I'm good on engine components and so forth, I'll leave the interior trim stuff to someone who knows where all the little clips and tabs or whatever, go.

For those interested locally, I'll leave some feedback here on how it goes, I'm set up with an appt with the mobile repair business tomorrow.

I feel ya. I try to avoid working on my interior more than absolutely necessary, since it seems I can never reinstall stuff without just creating more creaks and squeaks. Or, I end up breaking something.

My headliner is starting to separate under the visors and near the A-pillar area. Not too bad for now, but when it gets a little worse I'll have to do something about it.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

lol, Well I did end up breaking every single airbag clip that sits in the pillars. I also had to order a new sunglass holder since I broke some tabs on that. It wasn't too bad other than that.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
So, south Florida, here's the scoop on the headliner: I'm a very happy camper.

FYI, my GTI is a CSG Driver's Edition with the Titan black interior. This company I tried is a mobile service that comes to your location. I dealt with a woman named Heather. She's excellent. It took her about two hours to complete the job, start to finish. Their Website is http://mobileheadlinersmiami.com. FocalPoint- my price was a bit less than what you mentioned above, $225. YMMV. As to the headliner material it feels and looks identical to the old one, even to its thread pattern, and the color match is spot on. I worried about sags, wrinkles and having a tight fit but I swear this looks like it came straight from the dealer lot. All the overhead lights and switches worked properly when checked afterward. I give them a big thumbs UP! :w00t:

Uberryan

Banned

FYI, my GTI is a CSG Driver's Edition with the Titan black interior. This company I tried is a mobile service that comes to your location. I dealt with a woman named Heather. She's excellent. It took her about two hours to complete the job, start to finish. Their Website is http://mobileheadlinersmiami.com. FocalPoint- my price was a bit less than what you mentioned above, $225. YMMV. As to the headliner material it feels and looks identical to the old one, even to its thread pattern, and the color match is spot on. I worried about sags, wrinkles and having a tight fit but I swear this looks like it came straight from the dealer lot. All the overhead lights and switches worked properly when checked afterward. I give them a big thumbs UP! :w00t:

Nice! Glad it's even cheaper. Good deal man, looks like I'll be going with them.

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie

Do you know if they used a high quality glue? To prevent the sagging again. Wish I was in South Fl I would def jump on this.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Do you know if they used a high quality glue? To prevent the sagging again. Wish I was in South Fl I would def jump on this.

You know I asked her that exact question, as I wondered how long this new fix would last. Their website states they only use good quality materials. She added that although the warranty was for three years, she's been doing the job for 8, and has only had to re-do one headliner in 8 yrs.