GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake manifold- plates in the head

zrickety

The Fixer
So my manifold finally broke, I'm swapping it now. Has anyone tried running without the plates in the intake ports on the head? I would think it would flow a little better.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Ran IE intake manifold for the last year or so. It required the removal of the intake port plates. Went back to oem manifold last week. Only difference I saw between the two setups was a small amount of low end tq. Mid and Top end power are very similar. Looks like I lost ~5 g/s of peak maf flow but overall it was close across the Rev range. Peak boost is within 1/2 a lb. of old setup.

I know that mod helped on FSI engines, but TSI head flows a lot better so I don't know how much gain is really there.

I'm running a modified stock turbo for context.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Thanks. I'm not expecting a drastic change, I see them as one less thing to attract carbon build up. The gasket looks like it will seal just fine either way.
As a side note, my old manifold wore some material off the head...apparently the plastic pieces that go over the flap rod were moving around. The wear is quite surprising.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
If anything you'll probably loose low and mid range power. The intake flaps and those plates don't become a restriction until you have a bigger turbo. They're beneficial by limiting airflow at lower rpms and this increases torque.

zrickety

The Fixer
Well, my reasoning is there is still the restriction at the manifold...the flaps still close.
Second, I am big turbo (k04) so no worries.
Third, these are some of the smallest ports I've seen. My B16 Honda motor had a larger intake. I think these plates are for emission more than anything. I'm just waiting for a new coolant temp harness, somehow it was snagged on the intake and broke.

zrickety

The Fixer
FWIW, I've been running without these plates a week for about a week...no ill effects. Haven't noticed anything different at idle or low rpm. Maybe some extra exhaust pops, that's a win for me.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I may be sorely mistaken, but my memory is telling me a very experienced VW guy told me those flaps are there for good reason - mostly to help with cold starts, and so in cold weather your car may struggle (or fail) to start/run well. Beyond that, i am not certain if they help much else, but are not a source of any notable constriction so removing them is not advisable.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
+1 what rice said... the flaps are part of the runner flap design.

zrickety

The Fixer
I may be sorely mistaken, but my memory is telling me a very experienced VW guy told me those flaps are there for good reason - mostly to help with cold starts
The flaps are in place, they still restrict air flow. I'm talking about the plates that slide into the head, the ones that everybody scrapes clean. I removed them and the car is fine.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
The flaps are in place, they still restrict air flow. I'm talking about the plates that slide into the head, the ones that everybody scrapes clean. I removed them and the car is fine.

They do not restrict flow, the head flows well up to 600hp. After that then they could be a true restriction. you will not see a difference on a ko4 and down, even on a 28 series turbo i doubt there is too much of a difference

I have made over 600hp on an oem head and intake manifold.

zrickety

The Fixer
I hear what you're saying. When the flaps are closed, they do restrict. Some kind of air tumble at idle. When open, I'm sure it flows just fine. The plates are flat, so sure not a big deal. But I do see them as another place for carbon buildup. The gunk is significant. I won't miss them.

Last edited:

aregister

Ready to race!
I hear what you're saying. When the flaps are closed, they do restrict. Some kind of air tumble at idle. When open, I'm sure it flows just fine. The plates are flat, so sure not a big deal. But I do see them as another place for carbon buildup. The gunk is significant. I won't miss them.
Just coming across this issue when swapping my manifold. I am k04 as well. Are you still running the divider plates deleted? mine were disgusting, and I even spray 50/50 meth at about 1000cc's. The plastic guides were also melted, so I would need to replace them if I keep them in. Thinking about just tossing them in the bin and calling it a day.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
He is my .2 on these old thread:

I am running the IE manifold and the plates. You guys are focusing to much on the idea the plate itself is a restriction. The CFM of the head does not reach a point where the 1~1.5 mm plates would act as a restriction. With the plates installed they maintain the runner wall shape and design.

Once you remove the plates you create two sharp voids on either side of the runner. This will cause small vortices and disrupt the airflow onto the back of the intake valve. So unless you port out those harsh edges to restore a some what normal design it does not make since to remove them and think this will give you some performance benefit.

In all reality all of these are not a single change that you would notice but for my it is all about airflow.

CCTA.JPG

zrickety

The Fixer
Just coming across this issue when swapping my manifold. I am k04 as well. Are you still running the divider plates deleted? mine were disgusting, and I even spray 50/50 meth at about 1000cc's. The plastic guides were also melted, so I would need to replace them if I keep them in. Thinking about just tossing them in the bin and calling it a day.
Yes, they are still removed and have not been an issue.