GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How difficult is it to change the AC high pressure sensor?

Plsdontblowup

I'm not too mechanically inclined. I can install bolt ons, change my brakes, oil, etc. So I know I need to evacuate the system, which I have zero idea how to do. Unless I can literally just drain it with, like, a screwdriver or something.

Also, is it safe to assume this is why my ac isn't blowing cold?

Thanks in advance!

Uberryan

Banned
I'm not too mechanically inclined. I can install bolt ons, change my brakes, oil, etc. So I know I need to evacuate the system, which I have zero idea how to do. Unless I can literally just drain it with, like, a screwdriver or something.

Also, is it safe to assume this is why my ac isn't blowing cold?

Thanks in advance!

Very likely the sensor, but it could be the compressor. Have you determined if the compressor still kicks on, or is it dead? If it still draws power as displayed by a drop in the RPMs, then more than likely it's the sensor. Evacuating the system is required, but venting that stuff into the atmosphere is pretty shitty of you. Best to have a shop do it and you just buy the sensor and give it to them.

I've been told though, which may be bullshit, that in most cases the sensor is a precursor to the compressor going and it will eventually die on you and that it would need a new blower, compressor, and sensor, etc. Probably a ruse to sell me more shit, since the blower and compressor appear to work, but I've had a sensor on my work bench ready to go in myself for over a year, just need to find a shop to do it.

zrickety

The Fixer
More likely you have a leak in the condenser, causing a low pressure condition. The condenser takes the hits from gravel and bugs. There is also a chance one of the a/c lines has a hole, one of my coolant clamps was right on a line but I caught it before it wore through.

qwop

Theres a check engine light for a/c not working on these cars??? Sounds like just a leak in the system though.