GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo build thread

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Very cool

Very nice work man! Looks about like my gti motor with an extra cylinder! Bitchin!!

Flow, Looking great,.... epic.

Thanks you guys :) Finally, the welder couldn't weld the piping tonight, it will be later this week. I'm not in a hurry since I'm waiting after a part from iAbed for the AC removal and I won't reinstall the front untill I receive it

Last things to do before starting the car for the first time : downpipe, oil pan and reinstalling the front :thumbup:

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
This thing is going to sound phenomenal. Is your suspension set up staying the same with the increased power? QC Mighty Car Mods...Puissant Mods de Voiture!!!

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Awesome build! looking really good, can't wait to start mine.
Do you think these little FWDs can handle 400+ HP? with out torque steering all over?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Awesome build! looking really good, can't wait to start mine.
Do you think these little FWDs can handle 400+ HP? with out torque steering all over?

With a LSD, I'm pretty sure it could handle 400+ whp without too much torque steer

Might be a better idea to look into haldex swap which I might do later on 2019 or 2020

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Hey Flow any Updates on the build?

Not much, I have been waiting after a part from iAbed and it's been a bit difficult to find someone willing to weld 1/16" aluminum pipe

The only thing left to do is welding and tuning. I finally find someone that will weld it when he come back from vacation. As for the downpipe, I planned to TIG weld it, but we recently replaced the argon bottle and we got Argoshield which is a blend of argon and CO2... Because of the CO2, the tungsten keep melting and it's tricky doing good welds :(

Maybe in 2 weeks the car will start and run on 5psi on stock injectors until tuning where I will be running 12-14psi

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Not much, I have been waiting after a part from iAbed and it's been a bit difficult to find someone willing to weld 1/16" aluminum pipe

The only thing left to do is welding and tuning. I finally find someone that will weld it when he come back from vacation. As for the downpipe, I planned to TIG weld it, but we recently replaced the argon bottle and we got Argoshield which is a blend of argon and CO2... Because of the CO2, the tungsten keep melting and it's tricky doing good welds :(

Maybe in 2 weeks the car will start and run on 5psi on stock injectors until tuning where I will be running 12-14psi
1/16 inch thick aluminum is very thin to weld, if both parts are aluminum it maybe better to use aluminum brazing to solder the parts.

EDIT: I have aluminum brazing rods I can send you one if you'd like. All you need to do is clean the parts and use a torch (Yellow bottle not Blue (propain)) to heat the parts and touch the brazing rod to the joining area and watch it spread.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
1/16 inch thick aluminum is very thin to weld, if both parts are aluminum it maybe better to use aluminum brazing to solder the parts.

EDIT: I have aluminum brazing rods I can send you one if you'd like. All you need to do is clean the parts and use a torch (Yellow bottle not Blue (propain)) to heat the parts and touch the brazing rod to the joining area and watch it spread.

I'm not a huge fan of brazing :( I prefer when the parent metal melt with the filler especially for the intercooler piping that will absorb engine vibration and heat. I don't know if brazing would hold well and if there will be no porosity in order to have a leak free system

The welder is the brother of a friend and he is confident with 1/16" aluminum, he will do some test piping before to see if I'm satisfied with the welds, I hope I can start the car by next week :)

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm not a huge fan of brazing :( I prefer when the parent metal melt with the filler especially for the intercooler piping that will absorb engine vibration and heat. I don't know if brazing would hold well and if there will be no porosity in order to have a leak free system

The welder is the brother of a friend and he is confident with 1/16" aluminum, he will do some test piping before to see if I'm satisfied with the welds, I hope I can start the car by next week :)
No problem Flow, keep us posted.

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
This build is looking great! I look forward to seeing it compete :)

What's your plan for a down pipe? The ones I've seen are very small and look like a hastle to weld.
And is your Watergate venting to atmosphere or are you feeding it into the exhaust?

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
This build is looking great! I look forward to seeing it compete :)

What's your plan for a down pipe? The ones I've seen are very small and look like a hastle to weld.
And is your Watergate venting to atmosphere or are you feeding it into the exhaust?

I might keep the USP Motorsport downpipe, weld a v-band flange and fit to the turbo for the moment

The wastegate is vent to atmosphere under the car

Welding is done, tomorrow if everything goes well, it will be the first startup :)

https://imgur.com/a/eJIjSiO