GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

pcv at 60k?

markus037

Ready to race!
my car has almost 57k on it and i was wondering if i should replace my pcv system as a preventive thing. i heard theres an updated version available. also i plan on getting tuned in the future. should i just get a catch can instead or no? i only plan on going stage 1+ for now.

B6JoeS4

Ready to race!
I replaced mine recently. It is a high failure rate part and the failure has a tendency to take the rear main seal out due to the crank case being pressurized. Didn't want to deal with that so I replaced it with the newest revision. I did it at 85k

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
70k just replaced mine and fixed some nagging issues I was having. I'd replace it for piece of mind with sparks and coilpacks as well.

markus037

Ready to race!
would the stock plugs be ok with the R8 coils ? i did my plugs at 40k. i have 56k on it now. im wondering if thats the reason why i get a stumble at idle sometimes.

FriggenT1

Banned
would the stock plugs be ok with the R8 coils ? i did my plugs at 40k. i have 56k on it now. im wondering if thats the reason why i get a stumble at idle sometimes.

I think that's a lot for stock plugs, I'd replace them too. Also, at that mileage, you could have carbon buildup issues.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
my car has almost 57k on it and i was wondering if i should replace my pcv system as a preventive thing. i heard theres an updated version available. also i plan on getting tuned in the future. should i just get a catch can instead or no? i only plan on going stage 1+ for now.

Get a catch can, swap plugs and coils, save old coils just in case. Oil change and possibly take mani off and check for carbon if your inclined to do so. Did you change the tranny fluid at 40k? If not or your not sure, I would do that before anything.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
My PCV recently failed and took the rear main seal with it so changing it before that happens is a good idea! The new revision rear main is a much better design though so at least I got something positive out of it! Just in case you’re not aware, the PCV swap is a 10 minute simple DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markus037

Ready to race!
did you guys go with the OEM VW PCV or the vaico one? there seem to be a lot of aftermarket ones out there but not sure about the quality. i also had my timing chain tensioner replaced with the updated one while i was having my timing cover resealed under my cpo warranty. i aksed if they could do it for an additional fee since they were aleady in there and they did.

did the dsg fluid at 50k so im good for a bit, thinking about doing it again at 70k. also i plan on cleaning my intake valves for good measure. then ill be set for a while.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
did you guys go with the OEM VW PCV or the vaico one? there seem to be a lot of aftermarket ones out there but not sure about the quality. i also had my timing chain tensioner replaced with the updated one while i was having my timing cover resealed under my cpo warranty. i aksed if they could do it for an additional fee since they were aleady in there and they did.

did the dsg fluid at 50k so im good for a bit, thinking about doing it again at 70k. also i plan on cleaning my intake valves for good measure. then ill be set for a while.

Just go CC brother. Peace of mind and cool points it’s a no brainer.

FriggenT1

Banned

Valco is a POS, get OEM if you're gonna get another one.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I used the latest revision genuine PCV, it’s your call wether to fit a catch can or not, some think they’re a good idea some don’t, personally I think after reading on these forums about other issues related to oil leaks and excess pressures etc that they’re a bad idea, sure the PCV can fail but while it’s working it’s doing what it should in relation to crank pressures etc, Others will say they remove the oil vapour from entering the intake so it’s a no brainier but it’s not that simple and a properly working PCV system will recirculate minimal vapour anyway, it’s they’re to regulate crank pressure particularly when in boost as it can enter the crankcase, a catch can simply can’t do the job of a PCV fully and like I said from reading on various forums about problems with crank pressures there is nearly always a catch can fitted, IMO fit the new revision PCV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk