GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost traded in my GTI for BRZ

220volt

Ready to race!
Today I had a chance to test my Autobahn 2013 GTI DSG against Subaru BRZ 2014 Limited 6MT. I know there two different cars, but lot of people are cross buying these, including myself. I work from home so comfort, RWD, rain, or snow are not a huge factor for me. I am also familiar with GTI MT6, so here are some honest observations:

First, I know lot of people are saying how interior in GTI is 2, 3 or even 4x better. It is definitely upscale and better compared to that of BRZ, but it is not THAT much better. Really. Subaru BRZ Limited is really nice place be in. Different, more sporty and spartan, but still nice. GTI is one class above for sure, but not as much as people are making it out to be. GTI also has better noise isolation, while BRZ is nosier. Not that the BRZ is noisy, but it is not the GTI. If you ever driven 370Z, you will know what noisy means. BRZ is nowhere near that. GTI’s door also felt heavier, sturdier and of better quality. On a scale 1-10 I would give GTI’s interior an 8 and the BRZ 6.5 or maybe even 7.

Second, BRZ is VERY fun to drive. More fun that the GTI, but not THAT much more fun. Fun is also subjective term. For some, fun is that torquey feeling form get go, while some like to rev it up, some like handling, feel of lightness etc… But overall if you take all of that into account, on a fun scale 1-10 I would give GTI a 7 and the BRZ a 8.5 maybe even a 9.

Third, GTI is definitely more torquey and faster on paper (and probably in real life), but it did not feel that much faster than the BRZ. BRZ pulls really good in 2nd and 3rd and has a nice sound, which could be further improved with a nice intake and an exhaust. I liked GTI’s engine sound little better.
It did not feel underpowered to me, but I only drove it on twistys and not on a highway. I also did not notice much of that infamous torque dip everyone was talking about. I mean, you have manual transmission and all revs and gears in your disposal. Work around it. With new intake, exhaust and tune, BRZ would be perfect in my opinion. I never felt I need BMW M3 or 911 kind of power.
Remember: BRZ and GTI have aprox. same HP, but the BRZ is almost 300lbs lighter, and I could definitely feel it! BRZ felt much better as far as handling and felt lot lighter. After jumping into my GTI afterwards, I immediately felt the weight. Once you get the GTI up and going while keeping the revs up, it sheds the weight like all German cars do.

Forth, the steering felt better in the BRZ. More precise, heavier, but not THAT much better as people making it out to be. GTI in my opinion has really good steering, especially for FWD car. BRZ steering had less give and was more immediate. Steering feel scale 1-10 I would give GTI maybe a 7 and the BRZ 8.5 maybe even 9. I liked the steering wheel itself better in GTI.

Now, the thing that I loved the most in BRZ is the shifter. Man, it was very snappy, mechanical and little on a heavy side. Short throws as well. Just the way I like it! Clutch vas also very light and easy to use, but the bite was little higher for my taste, but I got used it right away. With some practice you can go through gears pretty quick. Not as quick as with Honda Civic SI for example (that thing has lowest clutch bite I ever experienced) , but BRZ really likes to rev so you will probably want to stay in gear as long as you can J Shifter was where I felt that BRZ is 2x better than GTI. Different level. If Germans made shifters like Japanese did, their cars would truly be God-like.

Overall I loved the BRZ little more than the GTI in almost every departments except the interior and the torque, and was tempted to trade my GTI right there on the spot… If only the dealer did not insult me by offering me $17.5k for my 2013 DSG Autobahn (with only 10k on it). For the comparison sake, Carmax offered $22,500 and I also of course refused. Yeah, he tried that standard “let me speak to my manager” few times shtick and we got the trade-in up to 20k, but it still insanely low so I left.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Trading in a GTI for a BRZ/FRS is definitely a downgrade. You're better off getting a Focus RS instead.

If you want to boost a BRZ, expect to fork over $4k for a kit.

220volt

Ready to race!
Trading in a GTI for a BRZ/FRS is definitely a downgrade. You're better off getting a Focus RS instead.

I did not feel it was a big downgrade though. GTI is definitely more mature car for sure. I would only trade in my GTI for RWD and AWD, so Focus is not on my radar currently.

Edit: I just realized you said Focus RS (I was thinking of Focus ST) which does have AWD. That might be a possibility if I have chance to test it out.

Vroomer

Banned
Nice write up man, really enjoyed reading it. :w00t:

Focus RS will cost way more then the BRZ, so I don't think it's really in the same category.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Nice write up man, really enjoyed reading it. :w00t:

Focus RS will cost way more then the BRZ, so I don't think it's really in the same category.

Agreed on the higher price tag but I would never waste my money on those cars (BRZ/FRS). Never been a fan and don't plan to be one.

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
I posted a thread not long ago regarding the BRZ/FRS. It's a funny story though. A guy at work drives one and added a down pipe along with a CB exhaust. Man that thing growled like a Subi! This guy claims his pulling 260hp which there is no way a simple bolt will increase his power. So it ended up with a bunch of guys at work took it for test drive around the block. Then they took mine with only a stage 1 to compare. They all came back and out loud told him his car was piece of shit! I just laughed so hard.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
If I didn't live in a state with moderate winters I'd definitely consider an FR-S. And the first thing I'd ditch are the comically skinny stock tires. Which I know add to the fun factor of being able to break traction easier. But I mean c'mon... anytime I'm stuck behind a stock one in traffic the tiny wheels make it look like it's sliding on peg legs or something. It ruins an otherwise gorgeous looking sporty coupe IMO.

My impression of the interior wasn't bad either. The seats felt great and kept my fatass properly bolstered in tight cornering. And yeah while it wasn't exactly on par with the GTI, I will say that all the major control surfaces still get premium material treatment.

I'm actually glad that they made it a budget, no frills car. There's not a lot of those types of cars in the market anymore. You're usually stuck choosing a typical pony car nowadays if you want something like that. But I think the FR-S is in a class of its own with extra fun factor, due to its smaller size and lighter weight.

chilipepper

Ready to race!
The gti and brz are both excellent cars. It just depends on what your priorities are. You can't go wrong either way you go.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
the lack of power compared to GTI is really the only thing it turned me off, otherwise i may end up with one now. Especially with upgrading power is pricy in comparison too, like vortech supercharger brings 300 hp and yet cost nearly $5 grand.

Coming from a japanese 4 banger 200 hp naturally aspirated engine, it's kinda tough for me to consider brz/frs, looks like i need a test drive, because i'm starting to be done with front wheel drive.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
The power feels similar because you are stock, get a tune mate! Then you will literally make nearly twice as much torque as the GT86's.

220volt

Ready to race!
No, I am familiar with all easy upgrades that we can do on our GTIs to make monster gains, but I can barely use the power I have now legally, and I don't track. While I was driving the BRZ, I could tap into the full band and it felt really good. Almost exhilarating.

Also, the seating position of the BRZ is so low it felt like I was dragging my ass on the ground at high speeds :)

But putting all that aside, the biggest reason I am tempted with a RWD sports car is that I live in KY, and we have some good roads in my backyard that I can explore. Plus I work from home so commuter traffic is not an issue. I think where we live and how we drive defines what "fun" means for each of us. BRZ is definitely not a for someone who lives where everything is flat (like Florida for example). A muscle car with monster power might be better option there.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion

Furbies are pretty much track ready . .... throw some wheels and tires and you're good to go
Focus RS? I would rather have a mk7 .:R

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
I did not feel it was a big downgrade though. GTI is definitely more mature car for sure. I would only trade in my GTI for RWD and AWD, so Focus is not on my radar currently.

Edit: I just realized you said Focus RS (I was thinking of Focus ST) which does have AWD. That might be a possibility if I have chance to test it out.

The brz is a great handling car, better than many cars with suspension odd, but the lack of power really is a let down. At one point I think it was scion that claimed they didn't put a turbo on the car because of space, oddly enough people are putting putting ls1 motors in them lol.

The frs does have an awesome shifter feel though, only better oe shifter I felt was a boss mustang... smoother than butter!