GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Shaking under heavy braking-17Z Brakes

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Hello everyone,
I have had an issue for the last month with my brakes.
at 45+ MPH when i use the brakes the car shakes and pulls to the right.
These where rebuilt from Rotorlab and have been on the car just about a year.

yesterday my brake fluid light also came on and i had to top the fluid up.
Now i dont see any fluids leaking anyway but i do see a ring around the Wheel in the middle that i thought was brake dust but i cant seem to clean it off.

These are one of those moments i wish i had more money for tools to look at it more closely.

Any idea people?

Update: Found out the Rotors got warped somehow (most likely the uneven service on the hub thanks to rust)-- Now i have the leak to deal with. Seems it is coming from the rear Caliper on the Inside where the ebrake spring rotates.

Is there a way to replace the seal? if there is one. or do i need to replace the calipers.

Last edited:

Edy.Ct

Go Kart Champion
That line that you see in the middle of the rotor is caused by the pad guiding pin slightly touching the surface of the rotor. Try grinding those pins a little bit and see the results.
I had 17Z on my car for about 10.000kms, sold them and installed some TTRS brakes

Attachments

• IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 388

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
That helps out alot, ill have to check on that. Seems weird to show up a year later.
Any idea on the leaking brake fluid though?

rawag77

Ready to race!
I thought rotorlabs was supposed to properly machine the calipers down during the rebuild process? I wonder if one of your piston seals has blown out and has a slow leak. Does it pull to the side where you think you see the leak?

If it is a blown seal, the repair kits are pretty cheap off of rockauto.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
I thought rotorlabs was supposed to properly machine the calipers down during the rebuild process? I wonder if one of your piston seals has blown out and has a slow leak. Does it pull to the side where you think you see the leak?

If it is a blown seal, the repair kits are pretty cheap off of rockauto.

That is my assumption. I have a feeling its a blown Seal..unfortunately i cant see it without taking it off and i do not have the tools anymore. Lost them all when someone broke into my shed.

Ill go on that assumption for now.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Hello everyone,
I have had an issue for the last month with my brakes.
at 45+ MPH when i use the brakes the car shakes and pulls to the right.
These where rebuilt from Rotorlab and have been on the car just about a year.

yesterday my brake fluid light also came on and i had to top the fluid up.
Now i dont see any fluids leaking anyway but i do see a ring around the Wheel in the middle that i thought was brake dust but i cant seem to clean it off.

These are one of those moments i wish i had more money for tools to look at it more closely.

Any idea people?

Would have helped if you posted a picture of the rotor in question to show what you are seeing.

1. Did you use banjo fittings on the calipers? If so they will leak. Suggest you pull all 4 wheels and look for leak.
Loose fitting
Leaking fitting (ie banjo)
Leaking seal (I would pull calipers and have a close look at seals)

2. Shuddering while you are stopping can be caused by pad build up on the rotor. It appears as an uneven black coating across the braking area of the rotor and of course creates an inconsistent braking surface. I used to have to clean off my rotors with certain rotor pad combinations with some wet/dry sand paper and a block. Or if it is light you can get up to speed and really lay into the brakes and scrape it off but that generally does not work by the time you are feeling it shudder.

3. If the alignment pins were touching it would be pretty noisy and there would be a groove worn.

The pulling to the right is very concerning considering you have an ABS system.

Be safe.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Would have helped if you posted a picture of the rotor in question to show what you are seeing.

1. Did you use banjo fittings on the calipers? If so they will leak. Suggest you pull all 4 wheels and look for leak.
Loose fitting
Leaking fitting (ie banjo)
Leaking seal (I would pull calipers and have a close look at seals)

2. Shuddering while you are stopping can be caused by pad build up on the rotor. It appears as an uneven black coating across the braking area of the rotor and of course creates an inconsistent braking surface. I used to have to clean off my rotors with certain rotor pad combinations with some wet/dry sand paper and a block. Or if it is light you can get up to speed and really lay into the brakes and scrape it off but that generally does not work by the time you are feeling it shudder.

3. If the alignment pins were touching it would be pretty noisy and there would be a groove worn.

The pulling to the right is very concerning considering you have an ABS system.

Be safe.

Looks like i have some work to do.

Thanks for all the information. I will go through the very helpful checklist and see what i can find out.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Update: Found out the Rotors got warped somehow (most likely the uneven service on the hub thanks to rust)-- Now i have the leak to deal with. Seems it is coming from the rear Caliper on the Inside where the ebrake spring rotates.

Is there a way to replace the seal? if there is one. or do i need to replace the calipers.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

if you got your calipers from Rotorlabs you should be able to get a rebuild kit from him or at the very least, contact info on where to buy them.

The leak is something to trace down quickly for obvious reasons of safety for yourself and others.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Also do a quick inspection of your rear position control arm bushings. When mine were shot I had some really nasty bump steer while on the brakes like you describe. Fresh bushings killed the bump steer.