GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
budahbuddy803
Ready to race!

Drives: 2014 GTI MK6
APR Tune from Stage 1 to Stage 1 w/intake

I had the APR stage 1 tune done a couple weeks after I purchased the car. Later, I purchased and installed the APR intake. I'm going to have my dsg fluid changed in a couple weeks and I'm contemplating spending the $100 they charge to flash from stage 1 to stage 1 w/intake.

I know its a relatively small difference in numbers according to APR

APR Stage I 93 AKI 98 RON 261 HP 317 FT-LBS +71 HP @ 3,850 RPM +101 FT-LBS @ 3,500 RPM

APR Stage I w/ Intake 93 AKI 98 RON 268 HP 325 FT-LBS +78 HP @ 3,950 RPM +108 FT-LBS @ 3,600 RPM

Has anyone done this? Is it worth while for $100? I don't expect to feel or notice much of a difference at all, but I feel it would maybe "mesh" a little better.
budahbuddy803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Honestly, I wouldn't if they are charging for it. I'm actually surprised that they do since you already have Stg1 and purchased their intake. It should be like a deal that you purchase their intake, they 1+ you for free. At least that would make it more enticing to purchase their intake that is nearly 300 bucks...

For the hp/tq increase so small, you will most likely not feel a difference. Just be happy with the intake because I imagine you can hear a difference
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
You will gain power from the intake, the tune adapts. Stage 1 is stage 1, don't bother paying again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
budahbuddy803
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPower View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't if they are charging for it. I'm actually surprised that they do since you already have Stg1 and purchased their intake. It should be like a deal that you purchase their intake, they 1+ you for free. At least that would make it more enticing to purchase their intake that is nearly 300 bucks...

For the hp/tq increase so small, you will most likely not feel a difference. Just be happy with the intake because I imagine you can hear a difference
APR does not charge, this particular shop does. $100 for the time it takes to flash, I guess. They were the cheapest I could find in my area for the transmission fluid change ($340).
Old 09-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
budahbuddy803
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
You will gain power from the intake, the tune adapts. Stage 1 is stage 1, don't bother paying again.
I imagine there has to be a difference if they offer an option for "stage 1 w/intake" vs "stage 1," no?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
franco516
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: gti
seems like a waste. id buy something else with those 100$, just my opinion.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
ithrashmotors
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Mk6 gti
Wait till you get a downpipe so the flash is worth it. Make sure you get the fully loaded tune too so you do it one last time and never again. That way you can switch to stock mode if your location requires it for smog.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
ithrashmotors

Also per my apr dealer there is no stage 1+ tune for the mk6. The stage 1 + tune is for the fsi engine.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
dbizzle22
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
I just called APR about this yesterday after downgrading from Stage 2 to Stage 1 on my 12' GTI. There is a Stage 1 w/ Intake variation tune that's available for our cars. The numbers were listed by the OP. For me, I have a local shop that will do the re-tune without charging the full hour shop rate. Just $50. I'll probably go and get it done next time I"m in the area.

The stage 1 feels awesome by the way. Feels great for passing around the city and good enough for the highway pulls. I think I actually like stage 1 more. Being over 40 with a kid in the back will do things to you I guess :P
dbizzle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #10
ithrashmotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzle22 View Post
I just called APR about this yesterday after downgrading from Stage 2 to Stage 1 on my 12' GTI. There is a Stage 1 w/ Intake variation tune that's available for our cars. The numbers were listed by the OP. For me, I have a local shop that will do the re-tune without charging the full hour shop rate. Just $50. I'll probably go and get it done next time I"m in the area.

The stage 1 feels awesome by the way. Feels great for passing around the city and good enough for the highway pulls. I think I actually like stage 1 more. Being over 40 with a kid in the back will do things to you I guess :P
Hmmm strange when I confirmed with my apr dealer they said it was only for the fsi engine. Maybe they weren't aware of this. I wonder how much of that stage 1+ Intake tune is felt with butt dyno.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #11
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithrashmotors View Post
Hmmm strange when I confirmed with my apr dealer they said it was only for the fsi engine. Maybe they weren't aware of this. I wonder how much of that stage 1+ Intake tune is felt with butt dyno.

You could have them look it at at the APR website, it is clearly there. However if they don't know much about it, probably not the best APR dealer to work with, lol. Who knows what file they will end up installing on your car
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
ithrashmotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPower View Post
You could have them look it at at the APR website, it is clearly there. However if they don't know much about it, probably not the best APR dealer to work with, lol. Who knows what file they will end up installing on your car
That's what I told them when I showed up, they pulled up what they had on hand and showed me they had no stage 1+ tune. Maybe they weren't supplied with the update?

Old 09-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithrashmotors View Post
That's what I told them when I showed up, they pulled up what they had on hand and showed me they had no stage 1+ tune. Maybe they weren't supplied with the update?

I think they directly connect with the files apr has on their servers. When I got my stage 2 upgrade I did it the day they released it and my mechanic didn't even know about it yet, but he was able to find the file.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote