GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 08-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
gijoewoz
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
Which models shared motors

I drive a 2014 GTI, so luckily for me the big issues like water pump, and timing chain tensioners are not relevant. My girlfriend is looking at a Tiguan from about 2011 to 2014, and I want to make sure she doesn't have a ticking time bomb. Did the Tiguan share the same motor during those years? Should anything from 2008-2012 be avoided?

I'm willing to drive a slightly more "high maintenance" car because I can do a lot of work myself, but I want to make sure my girlfriend is in something pretty reliable. She's the neglectful type, and even though I'll handle routine maintenance I'll tell her 100 times to check the oil, but she probably won't. I don't want her to end up in a used car, without a warranty, and a significant engine repair bill.

Thanks for the input.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:51 AM   #2
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
The 2009-2017 Tiguan & the 2018 Tiguan Limited all had the same (Gen1) TSI motor as the MK6 GTI, and yes they had the same issues in the earlier years
Old 08-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
gdub09
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
If you want something reliable and she's gonna neglect it more that likely then I'd get her a Honda or Toyota. They run forever, parts are cheaper, and there's a million of em
Old 08-25-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
ferrariF60
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 TR 2DR GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post
I drive a 2014 GTI, so luckily for me the big issues like water pump, and timing chain tensioners are not relevant. My girlfriend is looking at a Tiguan from about 2011 to 2014, and I want to make sure she doesn't have a ticking time bomb. Did the Tiguan share the same motor during those years? Should anything from 2008-2012 be avoided?

I'm willing to drive a slightly more "high maintenance" car because I can do a lot of work myself, but I want to make sure my girlfriend is in something pretty reliable. She's the neglectful type, and even though I'll handle routine maintenance I'll tell her 100 times to check the oil, but she probably won't. I don't want her to end up in a used car, without a warranty, and a significant engine repair bill.

Thanks for the input.
my input to this....do yourself a favor and look for a new GF that is more car friendly and has a CLUE about basic things like, checking the oil....etc
2010 TR GTI 6MT: APR Stage 1 ECU | APR carbonio | HS Tuning RSR Clutch | Red DB Mount Insert | Neuspeed Charge and Discharge Pipes | Neuspeed Cat Back | GFB DV+ | H&R Sport Springs | S3 Shifter & 42DD Aluminum Bushings | OEM Golf R LED Tails | Golf R Side Skirts | OEM Front Lip | H&R 12-15mm spacers | PIAA Ion Yellow Fogs | Aspherical Mirrors |
ferrariF60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
EA888 engines of all gens guzzle oil. If she can't be bothered to check the oil after being asked 100 times, she surely won't check it at every fill up. Fuck that idea.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:43 AM   #6
MMKAY6
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post

Thanks for the input.
The EA888 is not a “set it and forget it” type of motor. Get her a something Japanese or American with a naturally aspirated engine.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
I personally think these 'issues' are overrated...I've had a couple of these early motors and they've both been great. Like into 130k and beyond. A Honda would be my first pick, but I wouldn't be afraid of an early Tiguan with some service history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote