GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTF RUST?

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
HELP. I think there might be rust on the area between the wheels and rotors of the FRONT. Like where the lugs bolt into that metal part (I dont know the name) and all on the top there seems to be rust forming. I only see it in the front, nothing on the rear ones... Any ideas of what it is? is it common? should I take it to VW?? should I get new rotors? :D

I'll get pics tomorrow since its so late here

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Its the hub and it happens. There was another thread discussing this a few weeks ago.

You can clean it off with a wire brush or steel wool.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
^^^^ This.

It kinda sucks but it seems like MKV/6 are both doing this with OEM rotors. Really looks bad if you have an open wheel. Also, VW won't cover this under warranty since the rotor is a "wear item" The Steel wool or wirebrush will work to knock off the surface rust, then just repaint silver or black or whatever. Just use duplicolor's high temp paint.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Well, not completly normal. Aftermarket OEM replacements don't do this. I've only tried zimmermans, but I'll be doing a set of Adams on my B6 for this exact reason. It looks like ass.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
damn it. With my new wheels you can really notice it and it looks like shit. would new rotors fix it? I want to get drilled and slotted rotors anyway so is it worth it? and if i remove the surface rust, does that mean there is more underneath?

thanks for the help guys

yukoncornelius

Ready to race!
Drilled and Slotted rotors suck... Unless you go of a high quality brand you're gonna end up getting cheap stuff (albeit they may look good and most people getting drilled/slotted are only going for looks).

I'd get zimmermans (blanks) or a quality slotted rotor (like powerslots). But really you're wasting your good brakes, just wirebrush them and paint them as suggested with high temp paint - you should be good to go after that.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
Drilled and Slotted rotors suck... Unless you go of a high quality brand you're gonna end up getting cheap stuff (albeit they may look good and most people getting drilled/slotted are only going for looks).

I'd get zimmermans (blanks) or a quality slotted rotor (like powerslots). But really you're wasting your good brakes, just wirebrush them and paint them as suggested with high temp paint - you should be good to go after that.

Yea if I upgrade the rotors i would also do the calipers and get a good setup.. as long as it doesnt rust thru and its "safe" im fine then

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

Agreed.

Drilled/slotted actually have reduced performance and are susceptible to cracking.

phans784

Ready to race!
wait, is this really a thread about surface rust forming on the rotor?

is this your first car?
:hitcomputer: