GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1993 Audi S4 vs MK6 GTI

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
I picked up the S4 a couple weeks ago, Ive always been a big fan of audi's old 2.2 turbo. The stock specs say its got about 230 at the crank trying to push 3800 pounds not including the driver with VAG's magical number of ft lb of torque, 258. My Mk6 has a downpipe, but currently untuned and running a little rich. Which of my cars would you think to be faster from a dig, 20 to 30 to 50 mph roll?

Last edited:

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
Since the S4 is so old wouldnt the performance numbers be a little bit different by now?

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
Age doesnt seem to have an effect on the AAN engine that much. This engine has all even compression fresh timing belt service and fresh coil packs. Well me and a buddy last night took both cars out to an old road out in the woods, about 9 miles of straight empty road. What surprised me is the heavy slug of the S4 walked up and down over the GTI. From a dig obviously the s4 had it from a long shot. We did a roll from 20, 30, 40, and 50. At 50 is was almost dead even with the s4 pulling ahead very slightly till about 80 and gained the lead. As soon as we got back we ripped out the ECU to see if it's chipped but the ECU is completely stock. No adjustments to the wastegate or nothing. In a couple months both cars will be stage 2 with the GTI getting an intake and a tune and the s4 getting chipped with a stiffer wastegate and VMAP said to put power up to about 280. I'm shocked. I thought for sure this heavy freight train wouldve lost. I will say the gti was way easier to drive at high speed than the s4 which was down right SCARY above 90 mph.

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
Needless to say a rematch will be in order once both are properly tuned. But sadly for now the GTI has been passed on to wife duties for now to keep the mileage lower and the S4 is my DD until it undergoes the knife for an RS2 conversion. I will say this: I really really missed having a third pedal. Hindsight now tells me I shouldve gotten a 6MT over the DSG. But I dont really trust my wifes ability to drive a MT, further reinforced by trying to get her to drive the Audi. We wound up getting pulled over by a cop on our way to the post office because she kept stalling the car and had to change drivers in the middle of an interstate, and her saying "I hate driving stick shift." So in the end the DSG was a good choice I guess, for her at least.

here's the shot of both of them.

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
As much as I love the UrS4, the GTI is way more stable at speed and the steering and suspension is far better. Obviously a lowered 18 year old car that has 1000 more pounds to carry is gonna ride a bit rough compared to a year old car, but the cars are night and day (obviously). Both very nice cars but the S4 is more of a relaxed cruiser than the smaller quicker feeling GTI. But in the end I love both cars that cater to whatever mood im in. I got a 5 speed, big comfortable cruiser and a DSG small, zippy hatch.

Still. A $50,000 dollar car in 1993 didnt have any cup holders? wtf? It has a friggin ski hatch through the back seat, memory heated powered seats, carbon fiber trim, rear heated seats, Locking diff and a voice activated car phone but ZERO cupholders. awful.

Geofux

Ready to race!
That's a tough call... One of my coworkers has an 95 (or 96?) S6 Avant. The motor has been built to RS2 specs (380~hp). It's lowered, wide fender flares, porsche twists... it's pretty quick (and badass) regardless of weight.

He's looking to go with a bigger turbo this winter and paint it sometime in the next year.

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
That's a tough call... One of my coworkers has an 95 (or 96?) S6 Avant. The motor has been built to RS2 specs (380~hp). It's lowered, wide fender flares, porsche twists... it's pretty quick (and badass) regardless of weight.

He's looking to go with a bigger turbo this winter and paint it sometime in the next year.

Im slowly hunting RS2 bits myself but most of it will have to wait till after my deployment this year, but looks like im leaning more towards KKK hybrid turbos myself. Turbo lag is not really something Id look forward to if I hunted down an original spec RS2 turbo. Till then its just fixing allllllll the smaller things from sunroof trays to seat motors to power output stages, theres always something that needs a little loving on these and can quickly nickel and dime you into a big heap of money. Quite a bit of possibility in making some pretty mean power, these blocks handle up to 450 hp relatively easily. The S4 has me day dreaming and planning alot, but happily the GTI leaves me feeling satisfied just the way it is. It put it well into perspective of what an incredibly well balanced all around car it is. Quick, comfortable, tossable, efficient. I love them both the more I drive them. I wish I could drive both at once.

Quattrocakes

I have a 93 URS4 too

Hey, you bought my friend Joey's S4. Cool

I want a MK6 GTI bad, I'm trying to wait another year to see if I can pick up one used. I'm hoping that a few people want to sell private party to get the Golf R. I just bought a house this year and I have both a blk/blk 93 URS4 with lots of goodies and I just picked up a 95 URS6 avant. (europa/platinum)

The avant is in great shape and has 213k. She runs like a top and it's too much fun. I tried to sell the S4 but she's my baby and I'm a paint job away from it being almost perfect. I really reallllly liked the MK6 and I test drove two of them. I just couldn't pull the trigger with the new expenses.

I thought my S4 and S6 were both faster but they both have chips and exhausts. Joey's a good guy and he does a lot of the big stuff for me, we just did a timing belt on my avant the day before you came to pick up the green car I think too.

Anyways thanks for the comparison. I figure the two cars are perfect compliments and I plan to make the move in the next year or two.

Take it easy and I'll see you on quattroworld with the S4.