GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much gear oil needed for LSD install

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
We are doing an Mfactory LSD install with my new RSR clutch this coming weekend. I wanted to know how much gear oil I will need. I bought 3 liters, but I heard that was only for a flush and that I would need 6-7 bottles. Couldn't find anyone that knew or had done an lsd on a manual car.

Thanks!

(We will be documenting the install on the forum).

brobst

Go Kart Champion
They must open the case, so its basically a full flush.
I was checking my receipt and it says 1.5 quantity. However, I remember I bought some oil to the shop too so I forget the total. I think I had 1 oem bottle plus what the shop used

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
They must open the case, so its basically a full flush.
I was checking my receipt and it says 1.5 quantity. However, I remember I bought some oil to the shop too so I forget the total. I think I had 1 oem bottle plus what the shop used

Well, i bought 3, but my buddy and i are doing the install. He did an lsd on the dsg and he said it was 7 bottles for his.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
3 bottles filled mine. Also protip, motul gear 300 gets super notchy when the temp falls below 40f

MFactory

GolfMkV Sponsor
For MT, you should only need around 3L max (and that's after rotating the wheels to let the oil flow into the LSD). I've never heard of anyone needing 6-7L! haha

As for oil, even Motul US (inside sales reps) don't recommend their own gear oil as it's not very good at all. Motul US use a different formula for their gear oil than EU/Asia.

If you want a good synthetic, I would highly recommend Torco SGO, or if you really must use Motul, purchase the imported version.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
For MT, you should only need around 3L max (and that's after rotating the wheels to let the oil flow into the LSD). I've never heard of anyone needing 6-7L! haha

As for oil, even Motul US (inside sales reps) don't recommend their own gear oil as it's not very good at all. Motul US use a different formula for their gear oil than EU/Asia.

If you want a good synthetic, I would highly recommend Torco SGO, or if you really must use Motul, purchase the imported version.

I bought the OEM fluid from the dealership. Is the torco the 75w-90 better than oem? A few people that have done the LSD on manuals said they tried motul first, they changed back to OEM fluid.

My buddy that said 6-7l was talking about his DSG LSD install. I heard the DSG tranny needs a lot more oil than the manual.

I installed a new tensioner and fluidampr yesterday, didn't really notice any change in the NVH of my engine.... Still have a lot of NVH with AC on. We are doing the RSR clutch, clutchmasters hydraulic TOB, new DMFW, IED RMS, and LSD this coming weekend. :p

Last edited:

MFactory

GolfMkV Sponsor
I bought the OEM fluid from the dealership. Is the torco the 75w-90 better than oem? A few people that have done the LSD on manuals said they tried motul first, they changed back to OEM fluid.

My buddy that said 6-7l was talking about his DSG LSD install. I heard the DSG tranny needs a lot more oil than the manual.

I installed a new tensioner and fluidampr yesterday, didn't really notice any change in the NVH of my engine.... Still have a lot of NVH with AC on. We are doing the RSR clutch, clutchmasters hydraulic TOB, new DMFW, IED RMS, and LSD this coming weekend. :p

We use Torco in all of our race transmission builds (inc. the ones we do for Honda and Toyota), regardless of "whom" the official oil sponsor of the car is (a lot of our customers are sponsored by Motul, Royal Purple etc, but will not use their oil), as it is a genuine Grade IV/V synthetic, not a Grade 3 synthetic (which technically is still a mineral oil, not a true synthetic) like most oil companies use.

If your service manual calls for a 75w90 weight oil, then the Torco SGO. If it calls for transmission fluid, then the Torco MTF and/or RTF (do not use a weighted gear oil).

However, if it is just for street/daily, then there is nothing wrong with the OEM fluid. The only reason to upgrade is if you start going to the track.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Just go oem. It was already in there lol. And I did the mfactory one. Check out my build.
They had to shave the case a little to get it to fit right.

MFactory

GolfMkV Sponsor
They had to shave the case a little to get it to fit right

This is mainly due to the inconsistent casting of the transmission housings (they are cast aluminium); most customers we've found do not need to do any clearancing.

It happens with every car model (not limited to the Golf).

In saying that, if you had one of our original LSD's (from a few years ago), then those did have a slight clearancing problem as we made the LSD housing slightly too wide at the top. This was since rectified years ago though.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Don't get me wrong, I love the product. I was just letting him know of potential work when installing. I purchased mine sometime in 2016 iirc. Its not a big deal though.

MFactory

GolfMkV Sponsor
Don't get me wrong, I love the product. I was just letting him know of potential work when installing. I purchased mine sometime in 2016 iirc. Its not a big deal though.

Yeah, if it was 2016, then it would be due to the transmission housing, rather than the LSD itself.

Normally around 0.5-1mm shaved around a small section on the inside of the transmission housing should suffice. 5min job with a dremel or sand paper :)

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Just go oem. It was already in there lol. And I did the mfactory one. Check out my build.
They had to shave the case a little to get it to fit right.

It's not a problem if we have to shave a bit, we have the machine tools to grind it a bit. I thought the little bit that had to be shave was only for the DSG tranny. I saw your thread, I just haven't seen anyone with a thread for the manual Tranny. There is only the DIY on the TDI forums.