GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can Anyone Diagnose Startup Squeal? (videos)

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I posted earlier this year about it but the video was kind of crappy and it warmed up and went away. I got two good videos of it and want to take care of this before the warranty expires.

Anyone have any idea what the hell it is?

Occurs in cold weather on initial start up.

ncampos976

Ready to race!
it is really hard to tell from the video, almost sounds like the starter. if you shut it off and start it back up, does it make the noise again?

bburns36

Ready to race!
I'm placing my money on starter drive hanging up a wee bit.

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
Have you had the trans out? Sounds like the starter is either misadjusted or faulty. It won't harm anything but doesn't hurt to replace it.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Yes, it (trans) has been this year. But I had the sound last winter as well.

Tapped from the Men's room

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
At least the squeel goes away as soon as it starts, I'd be more concerned with the obnoxious can of bees sounds that is there whenever it's running.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
This morning it was 60F and no squeal. Will likely drop it off at the dealer after the new year arrives. Too much craziness right now.

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
Call the parts department and order a starter. That way when they figure it out they will have it in stock.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Call the parts department and order a starter. That way when they figure it out they will have it in stock.

Order it as if I'm going to pay for it? Last time I tried getting them to order a part in advance (when I knew what it was) they said they can't do it unless its properly diagnosed.

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
Prepay and just wait. They will refund your money if you never pick it up.

Or, just take a quick trip down there and have a tech run out and listen to it quick.

Or, drop car off and have them overnight the part. That way you pick it up next day.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Dropped it off at the dealer two days ago... they first said they couldn't hear anything wrong even though I showed it to a tech when I dropped it off... they said they would call me back.

I emailed videos to the service rep. He called me back and told me that even though the car is making that noise, the starter still works and nothing failed. So because of that, they can't warranty anything.

He proceeded to tell me that he's heard that sound on many cars before. I call complete BS... I'm sure if I started a brand new GTI, no squeal.

WTF do I do now? I have to try another dealer? Such a pain... Will be approaching 36k soon.