GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 SB Build Thread - grecom

grecom

I decided to make a build thread instead of going to bed, so here it is...

2010 Shadow Blue GTI 6MT

Current Mods
APR Stage II 93oc & stock
(APR down pipe)
APR bdge (not installed yet)
ECS short shift
Smoked side markers
Door sill scuff plate
PIAA H8 Xtreme White
PIAA XTREME Cool Blue White Plus Light H7
Rear badge plaid vinyl insert (kliimotorwerkes.com)
Center cap plaid vinyl insert set
Interior rear view mirror plaid vinyl wrap (not installed yet)

History
4/2010 - Bought car
8/2010 - APR Stage I
11/2011 - APR Stage II
12/2011 - CEL (3 weeks/500 miles after Stage II tune)
Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Low. Tuner shop says to bring to dealer, shouldn't be a problem. Here is the dealer's response:

Tested evaporative emissions canister purge valve, valve tests good at this time. Installed test box to perform wiring test, tested for short circuit to ground, no short in circuit to evaporative emissions canister purge valve. Further diagnostis revealed an internally electronically faulty engine control module. Due to outside influence, engine control module is not covered by vw warranty. Quoted customer about $1501.30 + tax for part only.

Keep in mind, the car drives fine.

I bring my car back to my tuner and they replace the part as well, CEL comes right back.

12/2011 - Tuner shop sends ECU to APR, here is their response:

We received the ECU and I found metal shavings inside the ECU, now its hard to say if or not this is the cause of the issue however it is the only problem I could find. We have sent the ECU out to be cleaned, and I am going to call and find out the status of it today after lunch and I will update you with our findings.
That's the last I heard from APR...; tuner shop calls back a couple days later saying that my ECU cannot be fixed. The car still drives fine, but who knows if any other problems can occur.

12/2011 - So tuner shop orders me a new ECU (at cost) and gets the immobilizer set by my dealer (after some struggles...) and then retunes it to stage II on 12/31/2011. All is well... for a few hours.

1/01/2012 - (A little off topic) Wife has a serious gall bladder attack (was actually scheduled to have it removed Friday of that week) and as I'm driving her to the emergency room, I through another CEL... :mad0259:

2/19/2012 - I know this isn't the smartest thing to do, but between my wife being in the hospital for a few days, then home recovering, taking care of our infant, and trying to not freak out about all the issues with car, I have not contacted my tuner about the CEL. I DO PLAN on bringing my car over this week to have them check it out, but again the car is driving fine. I will update again once I know what's going on... After all, I'm waiting for the spring sale to use my apr gift certificate that someone got me for christmas to get the Stage I intake.

Pics (need to retake in better lighting)

Last edited: