GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI Vs Cobalt SS Turbo

jgs5607

Ready to race!
If you want the faster better handling car, get the Cobalt SS. It held the record for FWD cars at Nurbergring for a long time (still may hold it), it is a great track car.

A co worker owns a SS sedan and I have driven it several times; pretty impressive car performance wise; ride is very good considering the capabilities ( no worse than my GTI with 18's). The Recaro seats are the best part of the interior, everything else screams CHEAP.

The owner was really impressed with my MK6 interior and the how the entire car feels very upscale. I do not think either of us would trade vehicles, we have different priorities in what we are looking for.

The Cobalt is a great engine and chassis looking for a great car too be in.....

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
Shahulx, for daily use, even on spirited drive style, 300 hps+ would only allow u to get bigger tickets. apr stage1 93mod + intake, 250 hps with 300 lbs torque is right enough considering the torque steer on fwd. 260hps/torque like the cobalt SS sound right enough too.

For a guy like me that use the car each day, and will track to the car maybe... 2-3 times per year. I think I can accept to keep my gti on the track and still make ton of fun! :D

even if the cobalt SS could do better on tracks, not as suited for daily fun and confort.

p.s. cant wait to hear your review after u test drive your gti modded like u wish on tracks.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Insofar as the GTI goes, you absolutely can. APR stage 1 doesn't do anything to the car that it wasn't capable of entirely stock ... a fact that multiple automotive review boards have seen when testing GTI on dyno with the competition.

Anything beyond stock parts + stage 1 I consider a modification.

Stage 1 I just consider a removing of the stock p*ssylimiter.

This sounds a little fanboy-ish.
You can flash the ROM on a Slowbalt and get 50 HP. Most factory turbocharged cars are this way.

The GTI can't touch the Slowbalt in braking, handling dynamics, potential.

That said, I would never consider an SS. Just not what I like. The point of a FWD car to me is to make a good driving/handling car without overpowering the limitation of front wheel drive. As said before, an Integra Type R is the best FWD performance car ever made.

I considered a GTI pretty seriously, but the serious performance compromises and low trade in offer from the VW dealership stopped me. If either one of those wasn't a factor, I'd be in a GTI now. :)

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
I bring this text from a cobalt forum ;

Sorry to bring back an old thread...just thought I'd throw my 0.02 in...I currently drive a 2008 Cobalt SS turbo that, with my modifications, easily hits low 13s and traps around 109-110...towards the end of the year I will be trading it in for an MK6 GTI. I test drove one last weekend and absolutely fell in love. The ride home I was actually mad to get back into my car.

Now, will my car absolutely wipe the floor with the MK6...hell yes. But when I pushed the GTI hard and threw it into turns...it was just...more fun than my car...way more fun. The GTI took turns with far more confidence and felt more...stable I guess is the right word. Pushing the Cobalt hard usually is kind of scary...especially round turns. The torque steer is ridiculous (especially at the power levels I'm at)...and the car always feels like its got too much of a tendancy to oversteer...and being FWD...kinda scary. The GTI felt like it was planted and just wanted MORE! I honestly can't wait to get the new MK6...While yes I will miss my abundance of power for straigt lines...the power beyond the car's stock setup is just overkill as spinning my tires up through 60mph is kind of pointless...cool looking and fun as hell at 60+ is useless around the corners. My bet would be that a Stage 2 GTI would be just as fast as my car (makes around 310whp and 340wtq) round a true track.

ShahulX

Ready to race!
I Still think the integra type R is the best handling fwd... But we will see considering the hype around the Focus RS

and more hp doesn't mean more tickets... I have zero points on my liscence in a Nissan gtr with north of 600hp

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
As far as best handling fwd too bad we don't have the focus rs. And Off topic how about. The monster team awd feista... Drool

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Having a 2009 MKV GTI right now.....

I was looking at either a 2010 Cobalt SS/TC (cheap speed) or a 2010 GTI w/DSG yesterday

It was a no brainer after driving the Cobalt SS. It's just cheap & the quality isn't there....sorry

The GTI is just an all around better car, even if it isn't as fast.

I'm going with the MKVI GTI :thumbsup:

r56mcs

Ready to race!
Poor Chevy... They make a Corvette that is faster than an exotic sports car but get dissed for cheap looking interior and the archaic rear leafspring suspension. They make a FWD track worthy car and still get dissed for cheap interior. Chevy just can't win.

ShahulX

Ready to race!
Stated a few times.... No your not better stock for stock in a race of any kind against a SS turbo.... But your better everywhere else.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
SS turbo is FAST

SS interior is SHITE!

SS Everything else is SHITE

Got a buddy that has one, wouldnt ride in it for the life of me. Its worse than a tin can.