GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Want to Modify your GTI? Start Here

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Great resource, excellent work Grambles.

Now, say I went k04, will I also have to go full tbe or could I just go with an after market down pipe?

I'm all about subtleness when it comes to a car, I much rather maintain as close to stock sounding as I possibly can, so keep the stock exhaust would be really nice. I know just a down pipe is fine on stage 2, but I'm thinking long term here.

You just need a downpipe to go K04.

If you want to go beyond K04 to Stage 3(+) then make sure you get an APR or Billy Boat DP, since their midpipes are compatible with the APR Big Turbo Kits.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

If you want to go beyond K04 to Stage 3(+) then make sure you get an APR or Billy Boat DP, since their midpipes are compatible with the APR Big Turbo Kits.

Correct.

I personally run an APR Downpipe for my K04 and stock CBE.

Murasamee1

Ready to race!
Thanks so much for this resource! Makes me hate that I just moved to Cali from Florida since I want to do mostly performance mods...

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
Thanks rs and grambles. I think it's safe to say I may go stage one with the intake from apr, then apr downpipe and IC With stage 2...then take it from there.

c089923

ECU Mod's and warranty

Ok so I know this has been discussed before (but I couldn'd find thread) what's the deal with a newer car with regards to an ECU mod...say APR and the warranty...can you switch it to stock when you bring it in so they don't know... does it matter? thx

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Ok so I know this has been discussed before (but I couldn'd find thread) what's the deal with a newer car with regards to an ECU mod...say APR and the warranty...can you switch it to stock when you bring it in so they don't know... does it matter? thx

You can put it in stock mode, and it's still detectable. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to hide your tune from the dealer.

Does it matter? Not really.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
You can put it in stock mode, and it's still detectable. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to hide your tune from the dealer.

the perks of my dealership being an APR dealer with a modded house golf-r. :happyanim:

with that said, not sure if I can wait to waterfest for the discount, may just take the plunge for a 91/93 tune at full price in June when I go for my 45 day inspection.

c089923

thanks.... I appreciate it. I kinda figured as much and also saw another thread that said don't mod your car if you can't afford to fix it without warranty.... it makes sense

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Updated OP with Warranty and Break In discussions

Apexeater

Ready to race!
As one of the newbies I have to say this is a great place to start. I can't wait to spend more time digging into each of the individual threads.

As a newbie to VW, but not forums and cars, may I make a suggestion I have seen on other threads similar to yours; rough HP numbers would be helpful for each of the mods (exhausts would be a great example). Your knowledge base gives significant credibility to your work and suggestions.

Thank you from the newbies!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
As a newbie to VW, but not forums and cars, may I make a suggestion I have seen on other threads similar to yours; rough HP numbers would be helpful for each of the mods (exhausts would be a great example). Your knowledge base gives significant credibility to your work and suggestions.

I 100% understand. However, most of the power gains are within the actual tuning which is directly correlated in the "Which Tune do I choose" thread. I can put some basic peak numbers, but ultimately noone knows what they're really making unless they have a stock comparison dyno.

I'll look into it today and see what I come up with. Maybe just a little blurb in parenthesis would help?

UFfitz56

Ready to race!

You actually don't even need a downpipe for k04. APR has a stock downpipe k04 file. While it obviously isn't optimal, it wouldn't be a bad stepping stone for someone going from stock/stage1 directly to k04.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
You actually don't even need a downpipe for k04. APR has a stock downpipe k04 file. While it obviously isn't optimal, it wouldn't be a bad stepping stone for someone going from stock/stage1 directly to k04.

This is true. They are the only ones I know that offers just regular K04 tuning with stock downpipe and stock intake.

Boom, ED35 series

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
This is true. They are the only ones I know that offers just regular K04 tuning with stock downpipe and stock intake.

Boom, ED35 series

I wish I didn't read this, if I can hold off on not getting a stage 1 tune, I may just jump straight to k04...I was really hoping my stock turbo would make it to at least 4k miles :23: