GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A step in the right direction???

Highgate Golfer

Ready to race!
If by step in the right direction you mean saving people from their own stupid selves for dumping in gasoline than yes.

If you mean a step in the direction of overhauling the entire fueling system in tens (hundreds) of thousands of vehicles than I would have to disagree.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
the stupidity part... but at least if this doesn't lower the hpfp failures, then we all know it is time for vw to get us a new hpfp pump... it wouldn't mean an overhaul of the whole fuel system. Just the hpfp. Since that is the culprit.

biped

Ready to race!
absolutely not a step in the right direction.

this is nothing more than vw trying to deflect the real issue which is a poorly designed and faulty fuel pump.

plastic filler necks are much easier on their pocketbooks.

cromaticx

Passed Driver's Ed
When exactly does the HPFP fail, around what mileage?

I have a 2012 Golf TDI DSG and never misfueled. Does it all vary when the HPFP fails?

Which diesel stations are best for our cars? BP? Shell? Mobil?

I usually fill up at Mobil or Shell as they are the only diesel stations available in my area.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
I am wary of Shell, people on here will say Shell is good Diesel, but I don't trust Diesel that is so REFINED that the company claims lowest emissions. Diesel being refined loses a lot of lubricity. Plus there have been a few claims of people who filled up at Shell, NEVER misfueled, and the a very short time later, their entire fuel system failed starting with the HPFP and causing everything else to be replaced. I know I am being paranoid, but all the failures I've read from people who are not misfueling, use diesel from mom and pop type shops with very low turn over of diesel in their underground tanks, or Shell. I haven't read one Hpfp failure from Mobil/Exxon/RaceTrac/WaWa/Sunoco... If they have failed at those places, there is usually a misfueling involved.

My other gripe is that you can misfuel a Truck, and it will just run rough till the gas is drained or run out of it... and the Fuel Pump won't fail... I'm not talking big rigs, I'm talking Cummings powered Rams, PowerCHOKE Fords, and Duraminimalpower Chevys/GMCs... I don't understand why the failures are being overlooked as a flaw. The failures don't seem to happen in a driveway or parking lot either, Seems to always happen under power or on a Highway... Very Scary Stuff!

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Are you getting real Shell branded diesel or someone that Shell distributes?

I get my diesel from Shell but it isn't Shell diesel it's Miller. I also put in a dose of Diesel Kleen Silver before fill up.

No issues so far, I've even done a track day and a few long haul drives on that Shell-Miller diesel as well.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Are you getting real Shell branded diesel or someone that Shell distributes?

I get my diesel from Shell but it isn't Shell diesel it's Miller. I also put in a dose of Diesel Kleen Silver before fill up.

No issues so far, I've even done a track day and a few long haul drives on that Shell-Miller diesel as well.

I don't fill up at Shell, Period. I don't even stop there for gas for my wife's s10. I prefer a place that is frequented so much that every time I drive by there are two tanker trucks filling their tanks. One for RUG, and one for diesel. I have asked the manager of the RaceTrac by my house what their turn around for diesel is, and I was advised they order a diesel tanker every three days, and a gas tanker every four days. The 7-11 next door has diesel, but their turn around is 1 gas tanker every week, and a diesel tanker once a month. The ONLY Shell in my area that sells diesel hasn't had a diesel tanker fill them up in the past Month and a half.

The RaceTrac by me does Weekly Inspections on their tanks for water and debris. And if they find any trace of Water in their diesel tank, they shut it down, drain it, clean it, and then put Fresh diesel in it. So, My cynical self talked to the manager some more a few weeks ago, before my road trip to sowo, and asked if all the racetrac stations are run the same way. He Adv me to check the website, and email the corp complaint dept. IF they are not run the same way, since they were required by corp to make sure their tanks are full. He told me they don't like to get ANY word on their fuels killing an engine or fuel system, and if it does, and receipts are kept, and the samples sent to their lab and an independent lab, then if the results show that their fuel was in the tank at the time of break down and the fuel caused the issue, they will cover the insurance claim... I thought this was pretty cool. Last time I heard that was from Kangaroo Stations a few years back. Then they stopped. Guess they had to dish out too much money:iono: , but I stick to what I stick to because of what I research. I also have changed my fuel filter at 10k just to make sure I am filling up at a station that isn't harming my hpfp. I had no metal flakes at all. The car had ALWAYS been filled up at RaceTrac, and I will continue to fill up there.

And No, I don't work for RaceTrac, nor do I get paid to endorse them... I just prefer a station with high turn around on their tanks, and They are the only one I've found... Now if a WaWa went in somewhere in my area, and they were giving RaceTrac a run for the money, I might switch, but only after getting a sample of their fuels sent to a lab for lubricity testing to make sure IF I switch, I won't be doing harm.

biped

Ready to race!
twi biggest things to do are to fill up at a high turnaround station and use a lubricity additive. keep the receipt of each full tank. not much more you can do aside from that and possibly rebuilding the fuel pump or replacing the piston in intervals.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
we just need to contact APR and ask if they can source us an HPFP like they do the 2.0TSI guys...

rsquared

Ready to race!
Got this in the mail today

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370301666581.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370301666581.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 157

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
40,000 miles on NOTHING but Shell diesel, no issues...

This quote is taken directly from Racetrac's website (and applies to both gas and diesel...):
That’s right, gasoline is a commodity. By definition, this means that there is very little difference between one product and another. RaceTrac gas is high quality, just like our neighbors, and meets all federal guidelines for the detergents that must be included in your fill-up to keep your engine running well. It all comes from the same refineries, it’s all shipped through the same terminals, and unlike some of our competition, It’s guaranteed.

Diesel is diesel. Racetrac does not have their own diesel refineries; they buy from the lowest priced seller each time, just like every other bargain fuel seller out there (WaWa/Safeway/Giant/etc etc etc). The biggest thing Racetrac has for it is their Guarantee, like a few others have as well (again Wawa, etc).

No diesel in the world will save the craptastic HPFP in these cars, if you have a bad one it will fail, simple as that.