GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR k04 CBFA Catless, emissions

MKVI66

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok guys, I need advice. I recently moved to NOVA with my catless k04 setup. Not thinking, I didn't renew my registration before the move and I will now have to pass emissions testing here. I don't have access to a garage here and I work a lot of crazy hours.

Here is my current setup: APR k04, CBFA, 3 inch 42DD catless turboback, APR V2 testpipe ecu. I've been catless for 40k miles and catless k04 for 20k.

Here is my plan: purchase a cat section and resonator section (current setup is a little unruly) for my Downpipe through 42dd (bolts right up), add o2 spacers, fresh 02 sensors, visit a shop and get my stock program changed to non-testpipe, drive around, hope a little, and try to pass the readiness tests.

Will this work? Will it be a pain? Is there an easier way? Could someone PM me "mod friendly" shop in the area to conduct the testing. The issue is going to be the readiness tests with the CBFA. I have never lived in an emissions area so this is all new to me.

What ideas do you have? I have searched but didn't find a definitive answer. Feedback welcome.................

MKVI66

Passed Driver's Ed
Crickets.

I know this isn't a glamorous topic guys. Does anyone here have an APR K04 cbfa and have passed obd2 readiness.

v.b

Ready to race!
you dont need to add a cat to pass readiness. just a spacer on the last o2 sensor and the apr "stock" k04 non-testpipes tune

nuisancecc

Ready to race!
If you are a CBFA with a K04 and are trying to pass emissions it's not as easy as just slapping on your stock cat because you lost an 02 sensor when you put the K04 on. If in your state you can have 1 rediness code off, you will have to check this, and you have the test pipe file you will still pass as they just turn the sensor rediness off and as long as that's the only one you will pass.

I got a Cali Ref ticket not to long ago and I have a CBFA with a K04. In order to pass rediness AND emissions without dropping the K04 I had to buy a CCTA downpipe, have a 02 sensor bung welded in under the car and put back the stock intake etc. I had it reflasshed to a regular K04 flash which put all the rediness codes back on. I didn't need to cause the Ref said I could have 1 rediness code off and still pass.

In the end I passed and the next weekend I put the aftermarket intake, downpipe and what not back on. Hope all of that makes sense, if you have questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

MKVI66

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, that def helps. Thanks for the experience. I am in for some massaging it seems.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Never mind just read ur catless
Gonna be tough

kak

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not sure how the 42DD spacers are, but I bought a set of the RAI J Spacers and they're garbage. The retaining clips they come with simply do not fit in most cases. I got two and neither one of them would accept the clip (it was too large). Other members have posted about them being too small and rattling around in the threads.

I'm keeping my stock pipes around in the event I have to go back to stock exhaust for emissions when I move / sell the car. I wish I had read about CCTA/CBFA differences prior to looking to purchase.

allset

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure how the 42DD spacers are, but I bought a set of the RAI J Spacers and they're garbage. The retaining clips they come with simply do not fit in most cases. I got two and neither one of them would accept the clip (it was too large). Other members have posted about them being too small and rattling around in the threads.

I'm keeping my stock pipes around in the event I have to go back to stock exhaust for emissions when I move / sell the car. I wish I had read about CCTA/CBFA differences prior to looking to purchase.

Yeah CCTA is much easier
But catless is next to impossible to pass
Done the official way even with spacers

MKVI66

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea, I have pretty much accepted that I will be going with a cat again.

Can anyone else weigh in on the spacers? I was thinking about the J spacers, that seemed to be the forum consensus for cbfa. I have always liked 42dd products though. I have their full turboback .