GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any recent GTI owners wishing they waited for the MK7 US release?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I love the MKVII!
But I agree w/ previous posts - the 1st year version has all the bugs and glitches, the 2nd year version has the leftover bugs and glitches, then the 3rd year, etc, etc, etc.

Also, whichever model you purchase, the next version, 99% of the time will be better.
So, if you get the MKVII, you'll regret not waiting for the MKVIII.

I love my car! I couldnt wait for the MKVII, since my son will be driving next month, and thats that.
Just get the one you like, and as long as nobody gets hurt or killed, live with no regrets, go get laid or smoke up, its just a car after all.

You realize the Mk7 will be in it's 3rd model year when we get it right? :lol:
2013/14/15.... we'll get the 15! Europe had the 13 already.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
but we get the first year run out if the puebla plant. all the euro mk7's have been in production at their factory for 3 years. for U.S. market the mexican gti's will be in their first year of production.

My mexican made jetta was great mechanially but the interior was put together pretty poorly :/

and smelled of crayons.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
You realize the Mk7 will be in it's 3rd model year when we get it right? :lol:
2013/14/15.... we'll get the 15! Europe had the 13 already.

We as Americans don't appreciate European cars. VW knows this too. We don't get half the good models that Europe gets.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
but we get the first year run out if the puebla plant. all the euro mk7's have been in production at their factory for 3 years. for U.S. market the mexican gti's will be in their first year of production.

My mexican made jetta was great mechanially but the interior was put together pretty poorly :/

and smelled of crayons.

Haha! I would like to park 2 GTI's next to each other, both the exact same color and model, but one from the German plant, the other from the Mexican plant. I Just would like to compare them and carefully look at them. Panel gaps, how tight the panels are, etc...

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Same, I'm not exactly sold on the design. I've been in an Mk7 GTI, it just doesn't feel like an Mk6. Feels much lighter, more like a Japanese car of this class in some ways. The Mk6 feels so much more solid and well built, not like a tin box.

That's the opposite impression of every review that I have read on the MK7.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Haha! I would like to park 2 GTI's next to each other, both the exact same color and model, but one from the German plant, the other from the Mexican plant. I Just would like to compare them and carefully look at them. Panel gaps, how tight the panels are, etc...

Me too.
I'd love to see if any differences can actually be seen and felt.

Saying ones Jetta, which came from Mexico exclusively and was designed and built for the specifically for the US market - feels and smells lower quality than a GTI is not a fair or logical comparison.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion

When I drove it a couple months ago for over 2 hours that was the last thing I was thinking - its Japanese LOL! Sorry but what I drove was very much a GTi. It was newer yet familiar as an evolutionary design it is vs a revolutionary design.

The Golf is the staple of VW and its design appeals to many people at all levels. Revolutionary would potentially scare off many current owners. Its heritage is visible not invisible.

Certainly not all will like it vs the Mk6 etc. Mark my words after a good test you will be tempted more than turned off by the Mk7 GTi. I hope to drive the R in the spring.

McQueen77

Banned

yeah cuz youre reading the euro model reviews. car and driver didnt drive the mex GTI

jsh1120

Ready to race!
Sorry, but trying to take lessons from the Jetta and apply them to the GTI is a faulty comparison. VW decided to deliberately "de-content" the Jetta for the American market to bring it in at a significantly lower price point than was previously the case. And from VW's point of view it was a major success in that regard. Highest sales in history for the Jetta.

There is no evidence that VW plans the same strategy with the GTI. But if they do, the reduced quality of the car will have nothing to do with it being manufactured in Mexico. It will be the result of a decision to reduce the price of the car.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
That's the thing, decision to produce in Mexico is a cost cutting move itself and it surely will be decontented vs the euro version.

jsh1120

Ready to race!
That's the thing, decision to produce in Mexico is a cost cutting move itself and it surely will be decontented vs the euro version.

Not necessarily. It's likely that some options available in Europe will not be available in the US market. But that has been true in previous generations, as well.

In the case of the Jetta the decision was to move the model "down market" to capture a greater slice of the small sedan market. There's no evidence that VW is interested in doing the same with the GTI.

In fact, it would likely not work anyway. It's widely believed that Americans don't like hatchbacks because they're "cheap." To cheapen the GTI compared to MK6 would only reduce, not increase, its appeal.

If your complaint is that the MK7 for North America will not have all the bells and whistles available in Europe, that's not a complaint about Mexican production. It is true of the MK6, as well.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
When I drove it a couple months ago for over 2 hours that was the last thing I was thinking - its Japanese LOL! Sorry but what I drove was very much a GTi. It was newer yet familiar as an evolutionary design it is vs a revolutionary design.

The Golf is the staple of VW and its design appeals to many people at all levels. Revolutionary would potentially scare off many current owners. Its heritage is visible not invisible.

Certainly not all will like it vs the Mk6 etc. Mark my words after a good test you will be tempted more than turned off by the Mk7 GTi. I hope to drive the R in the spring.

This is what the reviews say.
I haven't read or watched a single one where a reviewer said that materials, or build quality have been downgraded in any way, shape, or form.
If anything, the consensus is that the car has been upgraded virtually across the board. More upscale
No one that I have read or heard has said the car is more tinny.
Go search the Road & Track review where they say that the interior is as good as cars costing twice as much, and the car drives better than many cars costing twice as much.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
yeah cuz youre reading the euro model reviews. car and driver didnt drive the mex GTI

That'll have nothing to do with body structure or materials.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Decontented as in less features yes.
Our cars are always short on features vs their European counterparts.

The body structure will be the same.
The interior materials will be the same.
If there's a Mexican difference, it will be somewhere in assembly quality.
You'd have to park a German assembled MK7 next to a Mexican assembled MK7 side by side a compare them directly.