GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking noise from engine

ksandman

Ready to race!
Turns out my chain has a fair amount of stretch. Going to have to change it as soon as I can.

Mine is making noise again. I had mine changed when I bought my car at 30k. Now I’m almost at 60k and I get an occasional rattle on start up. So upsetting lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Mine is making noise again. I had mine changed when I bought my car at 30k. Now I’m almost at 60k and I get an occasional rattle on start up. So upsetting lol.

Your chain shouldn’t be stretched after those miles! I’m at 140000 miles on the original chain (updated tensioner at 84000), the chain was physically measured when the tensioner was done and was fine, block 93 reads 2.83 ever since! (+ or - 5.00 is the official vw limit by the way NOT 4.00) although at 4.00 it’s time to get it replaced,
Now, I too had the chain noise come back a little but when I had a brand new (it turns out unnecessary) cylinder head fitted due to oil burning issues the noise vanished, I can’t remember now but I’ve read about the chain being fitted and there was a mention of aligning something (balance shafts I think) that if not do right would be the reason I had a rattle before the head was fitted, worth thinking about as I doubt you’re chain is stretched.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I read 5.91 on block 93
That is very, very high. I would consider changing them very soon. I was at 4.55 and could see the stretch

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk