GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI APR stage 2 vs 2013 Genesis coupe 2.0t

Ihaterice

Ready to race!
Hello all, it has been a while since I have posted. Anyway my buddy has a 2013 genesis coupe 2.0t manual that he recently put a turboback exhaust and BOV on. Out of the factory these apparently make 274hp and 275 lb/ft torque. Assuming a 12% drivetrain loss this equates to 241whp and 242 lb/ft. I'm curious to see the outcome of a race between our cars. With my mods I believe I am close to 260whp and 280 lb/ft (correct me if i'm wrong). I also have the DSG transmission. Weight per weight, both of the cars are around 3300lbs. Okay so obviously I should win, theres already proof of that. I have been watching several youtube videos but I can not find a race with both cars having the same mods. What amazes me though is that I found videos of a stage 2 gti beating the 3.8 V6 as well as a GT30 2.0t Gcoupe. How is that possible? I can maybe understand us having more torque gives us the edge over the V6 but the GT30 should be more than enough to kill a stock turbo GTI (maybe it was running a weak tune?). Are the Gcoupes slow for some reason I am not considering? Am I getting bad information? One would assume that I can destroy him now but shouldn't he be able to beat me once he gets a tune? I've read that the SFR tune for a 2.0t Gcoupe will give it 288whp and 302 lb/ft. That should be enough to beat me so how is the GTI so fast? Stay tuned, I'll post a video of our race once we get around to it and the weather clears up. Hopefully soon we can have a comparison of how fast the new Gcoupe 2.0t is stock and later when it gets tuned. In the meantime enlighten me with your thoughts, opinions, and personal experiences. Do some additional research for me if you can. I was pretty thorough in searching the forums but I could not find satiable information. Thanks guys/gals!

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
DSG helps probably more than you think. Quicker shifts are one thing, but they also translate to boost pressure not lost.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
They're not 3300lbs are they?! I thought the 2.0T was 3600.

Edit: more like 3400. I've never gotten one to play but I hear they're kinda slow for their stated output. 2013's+ have forged rods though. Pretty cool car. Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Last edited:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Kind of curious about the outcome of this as well.

There's a guy local to me that has a Genesis, though I'm not sure which year or model since its all shaved and such. I know it has an exhaust and I'm willing to bet its got some other goodies as well. Not ashamed to admit that it sounds pretty good too.

VR6E35

Raced one yesterday after j got my ko4 off and I whooped that ass I'm DSG. Stage 2 only and downpipe and kntercooler. And he's pretty modified ported manifold full exhaust and cold air

cosmo10292

Ready to race!
Gotts remember guys, most manufacturers like hyundai use crank hp numbers with premium gas, best air temp etc. Luckily for us vw gave us "200" hp that most people get 210 to the wheels. Rwd have even more drivetrain loss than fwd and they are very heavy. Biggest thing is power curve, our little tsi makes a fuck ton of torque very quickly unlike the 2.0 in the gen. Even with a tune 290hp, its lost 45 hp to the wheels. Your 260hp gti at about 3300lbs will still beat the 3400-3500lb 255 hp gen. The 3.8's are even worse! Only thing they have is an awesome exhaust tone. Worked for hyundai i know this lol...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Gotts remember guys, most manufacturers like hyundai use crank hp numbers with premium gas, best air temp etc. Luckily for us vw gave us "200" hp that most people get 210 to the wheels. Rwd have even more drivetrain loss than fwd and they are very heavy. Biggest thing is power curve, our little tsi makes a fuck ton of torque very quickly unlike the 2.0 in the gen. Even with a tune 290hp, its lost 45 hp to the wheels. Your 260hp gti at about 3300lbs will still beat the 3400-3500lb 255 hp gen. The 3.8's are even worse! Only thing they have is an awesome exhaust tone. Worked for hyundai i know this lol...
Wow try 195 at the wheels. I get what you're saying, but 15hp is a bit of an exaggeration.

cosmo10292

Ready to race!
Wow try 195 at the wheels. I get what you're saying, but 15hp is a bit of an exaggeration.

195 is much closer to 200 than 226 is to 275... Thats what im getting at. And people have dyno'd as high as 215+ stock on the dyno. I haven't seen a single person ever come close to 275hp stock on a gen coupe, which is good for vw owners ?

PR_dub

Passed Driver's Ed
I've personally raced my manual stage 2 with a close friend who has a 2014 gen 2.0t from a 30 roll up to about 110 and I put about 7 or 8 lengths on him at least. Even another friend who was trailing on his Cooper S with stock tune and went past him. Granted, I think he didn't start from a good gear cause he was waaay to slow.

On an other occasion, another gen taunted me when I was going out with a friend on a Friday night and we did about a 20 roll and I was able to put about 3-4 lengths on him, and I did notice at least an exhaust on it. The funny thing is when we slowed down and dropped gears, the passenger of the Genesis started recording and kept as I went past him [emoji23] I could see the dude was pretty pumped for race and I walked him.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I've driven the 2.0T and 3.8 Track, they are not very fast for the numbers stated on the sheets. As said above, they are probably from optimal and not real world conditions.

Your Stage 2 GTI will walk away from that 2.0T with just a TBE. Infact, I'd say you'd also walk away from a 3.8 Track too.

Last edited: