GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 2013 GTI vs Stage 1 2013 Focus ST

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I've said this before and I'll say it again, stage 3 FoST's are not that fast. They put up impressive numbers, but their car just does not move like you would think they would. I raced my buddy, he was stage 3 with a custom e30 tune, I was stage 2 (with all my mods in my list below). From 50mph - 110, I started in 3rd gear, we were dead even to 78 (give or take), but as soon as I shifted to 4th I started to pull him, and by 110 I was around 5 cars ahead. I asked him what went wrong, he said nothing, he was WOT and hit the shift as perfect as he felt he could, he said he just couldn't keep up. He posted his dyno around that time on their local group (which I am part of) when we were talking about it, and he was making right around 278whp/360wtq.

I also raced a stock ST when I was stage 2, it was wet and I had TC on so I had 0 power through 3rd, but once I got traction I blew past like he was standing still. It's hard to see because i was using my phone to record at the time, but he definitely did not slow down before I did (CSB). You can see as soon as I get traction, it just looks like he stops moving.

THMotorsports

Ready to race!
I've said this before and I'll say it again, stage 3 FoST's are not that fast. They put up impressive numbers, but their car just does not move like you would think they would. I raced my buddy, he was stage 3 with a custom e30 tune, I was stage 2 (with all my mods in my list below). From 50mph - 110, I started in 3rd gear, we were dead even to 78 (give or take), but as soon as I shifted to 4th I started to pull him, and by 110 I was around 5 cars ahead. I asked him what went wrong, he said nothing, he was WOT and hit the shift as perfect as he felt he could, he said he just couldn't keep up. He posted his dyno around that time on their local group (which I am part of) when we were talking about it, and he was making right around 278whp/360wtq.

I also raced a stock ST when I was stage 2, it was wet and I had TC on so I had 0 power through 3rd, but once I got traction I blew past like he was standing still. It's hard to see because i was using my phone to record at the time, but he definitely did not slow down before I did (CSB). You can see as soon as I get traction, it just looks like he stops moving.

:lol: left that dude behind!

I feel like alot of people with ST's tend to think their car is alot faster than it is. Being that my mk6 was white with bright pink wheels, air ride, and a decent amount of camber, they always tried picking on me when i'd pull up next to one or drove next to one on the highway... The look on their faces when the ko4 kicked in and blew by them was always rewarding :happyanim:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
It's safe to assume that the ST is faster than a stock GTI but they're even mod-for-mod. Stage 1 ST ~= Stage 1 GTI, Stage 2 ST ~= Stage 2 GTI, etc. Of course the E30 pro-tunes make that a bit of a fuzzy comparison, but I bet that a W/M GTI with a 100 octane tune would be near a pro-tuned E30 Stage 3 ST.

Just go k04 :iono: then they're a bug on the road like the veloster turbo or Si.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
It's safe to assume that the ST is faster than a stock GTI but they're even mod-for-mod. Stage 1 ST ~= Stage 1 GTI, Stage 2 ST ~= Stage 2 GTI, etc. Of course the E30 pro-tunes make that a bit of a fuzzy comparison, but I bet that a W/M GTI with a 100 octane tune would be near a pro-tuned E30 Stage 3 ST.

Just go k04 :iono: then they're a bug on the road like the veloster turbo or Si.

I've race my buddies ST's plenty of times. I have two friends with them and they both think they're fast.... Mod for mod the GTI is dead even with the ST until we go K04..... then its a hilarious slaughter. The ST is overrated in my opinion.... Okay car, just overrated.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'd even say it's a great car. Their power figures are hilariously overrated though. DIN =/= SAE...

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
They are incredibly well balanced cars and I think it takes a LOT of work to make a GTI handle on the same level (ST's have the edge in AutoX GS/STX imo). But as far as straight line performance they are over-rated. Their owners tend to think they are insanely fast, but they just don't put the power down like other cars. I mean even the fastest built BT ST's are putting down Stage 2 MK7 1/4 mile times lol. A combination of gearing, weight, poor top end, aero? I'm not sure but they always seen slower than their numbers (Which are really good) suggest.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
They are incredibly well balanced cars and I think it takes a LOT of work to make a GTI handle on the same level (ST's have the edge in AutoX GS/STX imo). But as far as straight line performance they are over-rated. Their owners tend to think they are insanely fast, but they just don't put the power down like other cars. I mean even the fastest built BT ST's are putting down Stage 2 MK7 1/4 mile times lol. A combination of gearing, weight, poor top end, aero? I'm not sure but they always seen slower than their numbers (Which are really good) suggest.

Well said, well said. They do have stupid tall gearing in 5th and 6th which slows them down a lot....

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Well said, well said. They do have stupid tall gearing in 5th and 6th which slows them down a lot....

Do you have any idea around what speed they are shifting into 5th?

Edit: Nevermind, found a chart. Thought maybe it would explain why I pulled so hard when I hit 4th gear, but no.

J20tDR

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a focus st before the mk6 golf r. Car had a ton of torque. I was stage 3 with mine and it was a quick car but it was not a fast car. It had a ton of torque but the power just wasn't there. Fell flat on its face at 5-5500k Rpms.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
I had a focus st before the mk6 golf r. Car had a ton of torque. I was stage 3 with mine and it was a quick car but it was not a fast car. It had a ton of torque but the power just wasn't there. Fell flat on its face at 5-5500k Rpms.

This ^

My buddies ST does this and its his biggest complaint right now, he's custom tuned Stage III too...

Antimatter

Ready to race!
Here's some more data on the whole GTI vs ST thing. We ran a few times and all very similar results. Even went from a dig where I pulled about 2 cars.

ST his Stage 3 with catless DP, catback, drop in filter, inter cooler with a custom tune on his Accessport.
My GTI is DSG and APR Stage 2 on the 2.1 file with catted DP, catback, and intake.

http://youtu.be/2oLe9_lWSC0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Here's some more data on the whole GTI vs ST thing. We ran a few times and all very similar results. Even went from a dig where I pulled about 2 cars.

ST his Stage 3 with catless DP, catback, drop in filter, inter cooler with a custom tune on his Accessport.
My GTI is DSG and APR Stage 2 on the 2.1 file with catted DP, catback, and intake.

That's exactly what my race with my buddy turned out, though ours was a little closer (I was on the first version of the APR file then). I instantly pulled ahead to where he was at my rear fender, and then as soon as he shifted, it fell flat on its face and I ended up about 5-6 cars ahead.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion

Nice video. Not too much surprise imo. Both on pump gas I assume?