GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Wow, dont know how you guys are having such good luck with these things! Had ANOTHER one go today, I seem to pop one every 20,000km or so. Any reasons why the same cylinder would keep going? Brand new plugs, its not the same replaced coil that went as I moved cyl 3 to cyl 4 when I replaced it last as part of my diagnosing. But its the same cylinder. Just a coincidence?
Going to start carrying spares with me!

That's odd. I only popped one original one with a Stratified tune. I replaced it with the red one. The 3 others are still original... I'm at roughly 50k miles now an probably ~20k being tuned.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
That's odd. I only popped one original one with a Stratified tune. I replaced it with the red one. The 3 others are still original... I'm at roughly 50k miles now an probably ~20k being tuned.

Yeah, I know my car hasn't been tuned for long, but the R8 coils was a mod the previous owner did, so maybe they are older than I think. When the Audi dealer opens tomorrow I am going to replace all 3 of the ones that I know aren't new, just in case. Then see what happens. Probably just older than I though, and if 2 have failed the other 2 are probably soon to come. Just glad I know how to diagnose this issue myself now, would be expensive if I had to pay for a tow because the car went straight into limp mode this time and was un drivable. Last time I had one fail on me it started by only breaking up under boost.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I know my car hasn't been tuned for long, but the R8 coils was a mod the previous owner did, so maybe they are older than I think. When the Audi dealer opens tomorrow I am going to replace all 3 of the ones that I know aren't new, just in case. Then see what happens. Probably just older than I though, and if 2 have failed the other 2 are probably soon to come. Just glad I know how to diagnose this issue myself now, would be expensive if I had to pay for a tow because the car went straight into limp mode this time and was un drivable. Last time I had one fail on me it started by only breaking up under boost.

which cylinder? maybe the harness is bad/needs replacing?

also, are you certain that theyre R8 red tops and not just OEM packs that are red colored? i have seen those around for sale, just wanted to be sure....

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
which cylinder? maybe the harness is bad/needs replacing?

also, are you certain that theyre R8 red tops and not just OEM packs that are red colored? i have seen those around for sale, just wanted to be sure....

#3, if that one goes again I will have to look into it, Ill give the harness a quick visual check tomorrow too just to look for anything that might be obious. And they are for sure R8 ones because when I went in to buy the replacement I ordered from the Audi dealership and they look identical and have matching part # etchings and stuff.

I came across OEM ones that are just red coloured as well, at a pick and pull, thought I had found an awesome find 6 coils for $40 but they are some strange knockoffs (here in Canada new R8 coils new are about $55 each). Worked out well that I had them though as it let me limp the car home from my breakdown with one miss matched coil when the parts stores where closed!

Last edited:

AllStockMafia

Put in my R8 coils about 20-25k miles ago. Car is bone stock as far as the engine goes. No failures/hesitation/misfires since they were installed. Still going strong.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Whats the part number for these? I was looking at ECS and see various RED OEM coilpacks...

Suggestions on where to buy/ link me?

I also can't find the thread with the sparkplug info as well...

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
Whats the part number for these? I was looking at ECS and see various RED OEM coilpacks...

Suggestions on where to buy/ link me?

I also can't find the thread with the sparkplug info as well...

https://www.europaparts.com/ignition-coil-pack-06e905115f-oem.html

EDIT:

Also found these on the same site. I order from here because I can local pickup, not sure what the difference between OEM and GENUINE is.
https://www.europaparts.com/ignition-coil-pack-06e905115f.html

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
I've run R8 coils for about 40K miles all while K04 and have had one coil failure on cylinder #3. A quick diagnostic check, a pair of zip ties, and backup OEM coil that I always carry in the car and I was back on the road in about 20 minutes. It failed at the absolute worst time but being prepared made the incident as good as it could have been.

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
I used to have to replace the oem coils every summer. I think the hot Texas summers does a number on them, probably premature ignition. I just logged into the ECS website to check when I bought my R8 coils...July 13th 2015. I drive it like methed out derelict on the weekends and haven't had a problem with a single one. I've changed plugs twice since I've had them.

VENOMGTI_732

Hey guys looking to upgrade coil packs on my 2011 mk6 gti. Have been searching and can’t find the exact information I’m looking for. 1) is there any conversion needed when putting upgraded coil packs in, or is it plug and play compatible from stock? And 2) do I look to get rs3, rs7 or r8 coil packs? Going to be putting in ngk platinum spark plugs in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
1) it's plug and play.

2) r8 coil packs - part number 06E905115F . beware of knock-offs, i've heard of OEM GTI coilpacks being pants and solf as the real deal. the business end of the OEM ones are narrower than the R8's.

doublecheck your gaps on your plugs when you install. NGKs come pre-gapped but checking can't hurt anyone...

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
1) it's plug and play.

2) r8 coil packs - part number 06E905115F . beware of knock-offs, i've heard of OEM GTI coilpacks being pants and solf as the real deal. the business end of the OEM ones are narrower than the R8's.

doublecheck your gaps on your plugs when you install. NGKs come pre-gapped but checking can't hurt anyone...

Ditto that. My buddy who does tune ups all day at a quick lube shop told me that more than half of the pre gapped plugs he gets in are way off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk