GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible blown turbo, have had APR stage 1 for about 75,000 miles.

FishesDelicious

Are VW dealers still stingy on warranties after a tune? CEL code is showing p0299 which could be a blown turbo or something related. Im hesitant on bringing it in at the dealer and considering bringing it back to the APR shop to get it flashed back to stock first. The problem is that the APR shop is 3 hours away and I'd be driving the car there :/. The turbo isn't spooling at all, no boost leaks.

Auwdee

Are VW dealers still stingy on warranties after a tune? CEL code is showing p0299 which could be a blown turbo or something related. Im hesitant on bringing it in at the dealer and considering bringing it back to the APR shop to get it flashed back to stock first. The problem is that the APR shop is 3 hours away and I'd be driving the car there :/. The turbo isn't spooling at all, no boost leaks.

If i'm not mistaken you should be fine cause apr is dealer friendly but then again certain dealers are hesitant so the best thing to do is take it to the dealer, and of they turn down your warranty claim then contact apr and see if they can check your logs and etc. But youre only stage 1 so I dont see how that could happen by a tune.

FishesDelicious

If i'm not mistaken you should be fine cause apr is dealer friendly but then again certain dealers are hesitant so the best thing to do is take it to the dealer, and of they turn down your warranty claim then contact apr and see if they can check your logs and etc. But youre only stage 1 so I dont see how that could happen by a tune.

Wouldn't forcing more air through the turbo void the warranty if damage happened to the turbo? I know these turbos go eventually, but I also know VW dealers were hit or miss if they play ball with tunes, regardless of APR or not. At least they were back when I had it done in 2014/2015.

I'll have to call the tuning shop I had it done at and see what they say.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
have you check your diverter valve for torn diaphragm which cause's to throw a p0299 code

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
That's good. Be straight up with the dealer and let them know that you can only have them fix under warranty, otherwise you'll have to take it elsewhere. My guess is that they will take the work.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
P0299 is a boost leak. Check all your pipes and your diverter valve. A smoke test is the best way. If you don’t already have a rev D one replace it.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
P0299 is a boost leak. Check all your pipes and your diverter valve. A smoke test is the best way. If you don’t already have a rev D one replace it.

I'm with the rest of you on the boost leak, diverter valve being the most obvious candidate since if it is totally failed, it will be impossible for the turbo to create boost. Also note that if it is an internal leak with the diverter valve, it won't necessarily show up in a smoke test.

I'd be shocked if you had a failed turbo with that trouble code and so few miles. For reference, I'm at 148k miles and have been stage 1 since 80k miles, so 68k miles tuned. From other posts on the forum, one guy had a turbo let go at over 200k miles and it was due to oil leaks, and it still made good boost despite leaking oil and smoking.

FishesDelicious

Can also be caused by a bad tune and a failed turbo.

I've read it can be a bad turbo or DV or something else. Prior to CEL coming on it was running fine, no boost issues at all. After getting off work the turbo was immediately dead - no boost at all or leaks that I could hear.

I blew a turbo once in my old 1g DSM and it had a super loud whine and boost leak whenever it tried to spool up. I don't hear anything with my GTI. I think I'll bring it in to the dealer and have them diagnose and if whatever it is isn't covered under warranty due to a stage 1 tune I'll bring it back to the APR shop to set it back to stock then bring it to a difference place.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I've read it can be a bad turbo or DV or something else. Prior to CEL coming on it was running fine, no boost issues at all. After getting off work the turbo was immediately dead - no boost at all or leaks that I could hear.

I blew a turbo once in my old 1g DSM and it had a super loud whine and boost leak whenever it tried to spool up. I don't hear anything with my GTI. I think I'll bring it in to the dealer and have them diagnose and if whatever it is isn't covered under warranty due to a stage 1 tune I'll bring it back to the APR shop to set it back to stock then bring it to a difference place.

Some kind if failure regarding the wastegate could do it... but you'd see a little bit of boost at high RPM, more than 0 psi.

Diverter valve stuck open would 100% explain the CEL and no boost, but should probably make a wooshing sound. Dealer (if they don't flat out refuse to work on the car due to tune) will find the issue for sure.

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
By bad turbo in this situation I mean a loose waste gate which isn't unheard of unheard of on the TSI IHI turbo. Its possible to see if it has any play by getting under the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fk6cSDE3hE

I used to get p2099 on my Eurodyne Stage 1 file but on no others files and found no boost leaks through inspection or logging. If I got this code out of no where though the first place I would look would def be the charge air piping and DV. You can inspect the wastegate flapper while youre under there.