GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue during attempt to install IE's CAI

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
So yesterday I attempted to install my CAI from Integrated Engineering, After doing the easy part, I had to really coerce the OEM coupler on the turbo inlet off because the hose clamp was very much unwilling to budge.

My issue lies with the fact that when I tried to get the IE silicone coupler on there, my coolant lines that route behind the back/top of the engine were in the way, touching the coupler once i got an idea of how this would be sitting.

Thinking that with it in this position I would be unable to get the coupler on there with the intake pipe, I called IE and apparently they close up shop early, and their technical guy left well before their service people. but they were very nice about it all so far.

I tried, per the install instructions, to put the coupler on the intake pipe before attaching to turbo inlet, and that effort was futile.

Even after opening the hose clamp provided ALL the way, i couldn't get the coupler to slide on the turbo inlet any further because of the coolant lines. i can bend the lines themselves a bit but the support bracket is still very much in the way, and cannot be bend forward/out of the way because of other engine stuff that's right there.

Anyone ever experience this? didn't see any threads on here quite like this.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I have the same intake and I remember having a little trouble with that part as well. The coupler should go on to the inlet enough the be just below the coolant lines, then you can get the pipe into it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
hmm i recall when trying to get it the coupler was sitting very low already. i'll have to re-try this.
If it's seated all the way on the turbo you can always trim some off the top

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mdo91

I had the same problem. I thought they sent me the wrong part maybe. Either way I just unbolted the coolant line completely. Installed the intake and then re bolted the coolant line minus the bolt by the turbo coupler. Haven't had any issues yet. Before that I tried installing the coupler to the intake pipe first and then pushing it onto the turbo, that didn't work. Tried with the coupler on the turbo and pushing the pipe on with no luck either. It just didn't want to fully seat. The pipe would be pressing on the coolant line and I wasn't comfortable leaving it like that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I had trouble the first time I installed this intake as well, took way too long to do. Now I can get it on/off really easily :iono:.
I found it easier to put the silicon pipe on the turbo first and then putting the intake pipe in.