GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for help/suggestions/links for catalytic converter malfunction light. Thnx.

jjm51

Ready to race!
Hi everyone-

I have a 2011 GTI. For several years now I have had the 'Catalytic Malfunction Warning' light (yellow) coming on and off. Does not seem to effect the engine/etc and I have been told by several of the mechanics 'not to worry about it' and/or "it's now fixed" only to have it light-up again a in just a short time.

I am curious if anybody on the forum has had the same experience?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/links.

John

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_def.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_def.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,561

vracerw

Passed Driver's Ed
In the US that is the check engine symbol and it can come on for many different reasons not just the catalytic converter. Find someone to actually scan your car for you to see what code it it throwing to help aid in fixing the actual problem.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
If its a 2.5l its really common cause the intake gets too much oil through it under load. Which coats the MAP sensor. It can be cleaned or replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjm51

Ready to race!
Thanks so much guys. I appreciate the replies...

Car has been scanned diagnostically multiple times by 2 certified VW dealers and 2 or 3 independent techs as well.

Just can't seem to solve it.

Thanks again for replying and safe motoring to both of you.

jjm51

Ready to race!
Thanks on this one!

If its a 2.5l its really common cause the intake gets too much oil through it under load. Which coats the MAP sensor. It can be cleaned or replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though I have a 2.0 GTI I will ask the tech about this. Thanks.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Are you saying you had two techs scan your car and they told you it wat the catalytic converter or the techs haven't scanned the code yet?

If they did scan it google the code or share it with us. If they haven't yet that's the first step that's needed to solve the issue. I would find new techs if they haven't at the bare minimum scanned the code.

jjm51

Ready to race!
Are you saying you had two techs scan your car and they told you it wat the catalytic converter or the techs haven't scanned the code yet?

If they did scan it google the code or share it with us. If they haven't yet that's the first step that's needed to solve the issue. I would find new techs if they haven't at the bare minimum scanned the code.

Hi-

Thanks for your reply.

I have had 2 dealer techs and a couple of other mechanics scan the car over the last several years. I have been told the following; "it's been fixed", "don't worry about it", "it's an error/false light." Maybe e some some more things too. lol

Hope I am making sense? The light has been com ng on/off for the past 5 years. The engine has been running fine in that time. It just irritates me and I am looking to sell the car when the Gen 8 VW Golf Gti comes out next year...

Thanks again for your reply Blakcard,