GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GoodTimesIndeed Build Thread...

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Couple small updates:

After years of looking at them, I finally had some PDR work done to remove the few dents in my passenger quarter panel. The shop did a real nice job, I'm quite pleased with the result.

Also over the past few weeks I noticed my car intermittently having weaker starts. I just chalked it up to a low battery since the car sits a good bit. Well, that was up until I go to start the car one day and it does absolutely nothing. No clicks, no sounds, no crank, nothing. Thinking that it was the battery, I go out and buy a battery charger. After a few attempts of charging, each time resulting with a "battery charged" light the car still wouldn't start. I wondered if maybe I got a bad charger so I pushed the car out into the driveway and used my wife's car to jump it, still nothing. Ok, so maybe the battery is dead. Go out to buy a battery, get back, install it and still nothing. Now my car is stuck in the driveway.... awesome. I bother the neighbor across the street to attempt to push it back in (driveway slopes up) and we failed miserably. He's a car guy as well and mentioned that its probably the starter failing. So I borrow my wife's car and head to AutoZone for a starter. Turns out they gave me the wrong part. This was on a Saturday so places were all closing soon. After trying a few different places no one seems to carry one in stock. I ordered one from ECS Tuning but kept getting delayed day after day so I cancelled that order. The local VW dealer wanted way too much for one and still had to order it. Placed an order through Express OEM Parts and paid to have 1-2 day shipping. Unfortunately I didn't realize that doesn't include Saturday delivery service. So long story short, took over a week to get a new starter but the car once again runs. In fact the starts are very strong now, wonder if the starter has been on its way out for some time now?

I've also noticed lately that the water level in my tank for the intercooler sprayer never seems to go down much. After some investigating it turns out that the pump was dead. Good thing I looked into it because the wires and motor were getting rather warm. So now I'm back using the original pump that I purchased a while ago. Its much larger and moves a lot more fluid. The system sprays well and seems to work great now. Only downside is that I'll go through the whole tank after just a couple of good pulls HAHAHA! Oh well, until I decide to change it up again this will have to do for now.

Also just mixed myself up some more 60/40 meth to help combat these brutal temps here as of late. Gotta stay cool out there!

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Another small update, intercooler sprayer (version 3.0).

Finally got around to completely redoing my intercooler spray system. The first version was with a Trico pump and 5 small nozzles, but the pump burned out after a few years. Second version was with a Propump and 3 nozzles but the pump put out so much pressure that it kept blowing the lines, not to mention it wasn't the fastest to react. Which leads me to version 3.0, back to a Trico pump but completely changed the nozzle setup.

The Trico pump really seems to be the best alternative here for the amount of pressure it can produce and how quickly it can produce it. I found a nice mounting spot this time, which is right on the SAE pump. No worries about the pump moving around which can cause rattles and kinking of lines. The solenoid is securely fastened this time around as well.

https://flic.kr/p/Mhs3Wk

This project always proves to be so tough given the small amount of space between intercooler and grille. With the new nozzle setup I had to get creative. The new Hypersonic washer nozzles have a flat but wide spray pattern. They have the ability to spray a lot of water too, unlike my old nozzle setup that was more of a mist. I ended up mounting them vertically so that the spray will cover the entire intercooler from top to bottom in 2 locations. I know the whole intercooler won't get wet but this should still help some with heatsoak during extreme temps.

Here are the nozzles that I'm now running.

A shot of the setup.
https://flic.kr/p/29WWnQs

The setup through the grille.
https://flic.kr/p/Mhs3VZ

The system is still controlled by a Coolingmist Boost Trigger (currently set to about 6psi), with a blue LED indicator that lets me know when its spraying. All powered by an on/off switch in my center console buttons.

https://flic.kr/p/MZoCRm

Haven't really tested the new system out too much yet but should work well and be more reliable than previous setups.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Been a while since I posted anything on here.

For starters I CANNOT believe that my build thread has over 100,000 views! I can only hope that somewhere along the way I have helped or inspired someone!

Today I swapped out my 175ml/min charge pipe nozzle for a 375ml/min (#5) nozzle in hopes to get better cooling results when spraying. Also the AEM flow gauge is absolute garbage! A few months back I purchased a brand new sensor for it ($100) which only seemed to work for a couple pulls. Now it doesn't do anything at all. I might pull the trigger at some point on the snow performance VC-50 gauge and ditch the AEM controller and AEM flow gauge.

Also did an oil and filter change while I was under there. Only had a little over 3000 miles on the current oil but it was last done a year ago. I rarely drive the car very far and its driven hard at times so I wanted to keep on top of maintenance. Went with the LiquiMoly Leichtlauf High Tech oil this time.

This was done because unfortunately my days of the car sitting and me working from home are about to end. Apparently the company I work for decided to change the policy about people working remotely, and after 17 years of employment there I was fired (on the friday before my birthday too). Sooooooooo, I will be jobless in a few weeks which really throws a wrench in my plans to do anything, which SUCKS! If anyone out there is local and hiring hit me up. Would prefer another graphic designer position but I'll consider anything at this point. I need a change in life.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

For starters I CANNOT believe that my build thread has over 100,000 views! I can only hope that somewhere along the way I have helped or inspired someone!

Today I swapped out my 175ml/min charge pipe nozzle for a 375ml/min (#5) nozzle in hopes to get better cooling results when spraying. Also the AEM flow gauge is absolute garbage! A few months back I purchased a brand new sensor for it ($100) which only seemed to work for a couple pulls. Now it doesn't do anything at all. I might pull the trigger at some point on the snow performance VC-50 gauge and ditch the AEM controller and AEM flow gauge.

Also did an oil and filter change while I was under there. Only had a little over 3000 miles on the current oil but it was last done a year ago. I rarely drive the car very far and its driven hard at times so I wanted to keep on top of maintenance. Went with the LiquiMoly Leichtlauf High Tech oil this time.

This was done because unfortunately my days of the car sitting and me working from home are about to end. Apparently the company I work for decided to change the policy about people working remotely, and after 17 years of employment there I was fired (on the friday before my birthday too). Sooooooooo, I will be jobless in a few weeks which really throws a wrench in my plans to do anything, which SUCKS! If anyone out there is local and hiring hit me up. Would prefer another graphic designer position but I'll consider anything at this point. I need a change in life.

Holy shit. Sorry to hear man. Hope something opens up for ya [emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion

Sorry to hear it Justin, hope you find a good position soon. 100k views is a ton and count me in as someone who's learned from your build thread :thumbsup:. I'll be at Hunt Valley C&C tomorrow morning if you're interested in joining.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
sorry to hear that! if you were in chicagoland, we have cad tech & civil engineering positions open.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion

Sorry to hear about your job :(
I hope you find a better one very soon.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion

Shoot me a PM with your portfolio. I've worked as a creative director for the last 12 years and do business with several agencies that utilize remote designers.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Holy shit. Sorry to hear man. Hope something opens up for ya [emoji1317]

Sorry to hear it Justin, hope you find a good position soon. 100k views is a ton and count me in as someone who's learned from your build thread :thumbsup:. I'll be at Hunt Valley C&C tomorrow morning if you're interested in joining.

sorry to hear that! if you were in chicagoland, we have cad tech & civil engineering positions open.

Sorry to hear about your job :(
I hope you find a better one very soon.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words!

Shoot me a PM with your portfolio. I've worked as a creative director for the last 12 years and do business with several agencies that utilize remote designers.

PM sent.

kevin963

Holy sh!t! This little throttle booster is no joke! Just came back from like a 30 min drive, during which was quickly switching through the different modes and such. I did a temporary install just to see if it works, and just had the unit laying in my cupholder. Honestly I wasn't quite sure what to expect but it really does make a pretty noticeable difference. I can see why people run these things now. I understand they just "amplify" the signal blah, blah but DAMN the car felt REALLY good! No lag off the line, boost needle just slams up now, felt my head thrown back a few times. Can't wait to put some more miles on this thing!

Hey! Just curious. Hope you're still in these forums. Did you buy the 6 drive throttle booster from Aliexpress or from Maxaudio? Did the pedal booster give you any trouble in the long run?

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Hey! Just curious. Hope you're still in these forums. Did you buy the 6 drive throttle booster from Aliexpress or from Maxaudio? Did the pedal booster give you any trouble in the long run?

I purchased from Aliexpress. I am still running the booster daily and love it. Not a single issue at all.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
What’s the use of this aliexpress tool now? Lol TLDR anyone? [emoji23]

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
What’s the use of this aliexpress tool now? Lol TLDR anyone? [emoji23]

Just a Chinese website that has tons of weird stuff. Have honestly had very good luck with car products that I have purchased from there. Just takes a long time to get them.

Is this similar to the sprint booster?
https://www.sprintbooster.com/

Yes, rather similar. I don't recall off the top of my head but I believe the unit that I run has 6 modes, each with 8 different settings to tweak the sensitivity level.

The hardest thing to get used to at first is that "full throttle" is now approx. 3/4 pedal position. The adjustable sensitivity levels let you add or remove a bit of pedal position. The full race/full sensitivity setting is pretty much tire smoke city right off the line LOL.