GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

pdan's CW GTI log

pdan

Ready to race!
Managed to correctly put the OEM front lip on this time after it starting hanging after a few days because I only put 4 screws through. Opps. But, after some research I think it did it right, and its waaaay more secure. Again a quick rattle can job just because I think I’m going to wait until I get side skirts to have everything professionally painted.

It’s pretty subtle but I like having it there regardless. Now I’m trying to figure out what front splitter I eventually want to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdan

Ready to race!
Ordered Black Friday goodies. Tried to limit myself on spending and I think I did a decent job. Got a Maxton rear diffuser, a Eurosport X brace and a Asus laptop to finally be able to utilize the micro can cable I bought.

I know it’s purely aesthetic, but I really like the way it looks. Install was really easy as well, even without clamps I managed to not screw it up too badly.

pdan

Ready to race!
Was able to install the rear brace. A little hesitant to drill into the car, but I got over it. Originally I was going to pull the carpet out and have nice clean pin prick holes. Got the rear bench out, and got pretty frustrated trying to get the rear seat backs out. Also read that getting them back in was a pain, so I just decided to cut small squares. It’s not a big deal to me.
Also had second thoughts about doing a rear seat delete, had to drive to Home Depot for more drill bits with the bench out and the car is looooooud without any sound foam deadening.
Install was pretty straightforward. Screwed up one hold and the screw may be slightly cross threaded, but overall I thought it went alright.

Haven’t had much of a chance to really thrash it to see what the difference is but I can’t wait.

pdan

Ready to race!
Scrolling through the classifieds on here found a set of TTRS front brakes and decided to snag them. Wasn’t planning on a BBK this early but oh well ha. Planning on running spacers with my stock Lagunas, or maybe just holding off on bolting them up to see if I have to run a set of 16in snow wheels and tires my dad was going to give to me. Not sure of my plan yet. I’m still moving around quite a bit because of work and still looking for a cheap daily on Craigslist. I have plans for suspension, but now have to figure out what takes top priority. I’ve read to do suspension first, then see what wheels you can work with.
Seems to make sense to me, I don’t want to have to run some crazy camber or something just to make a set of wheels I bought work with a new suspension set up.
Looking forward to things settling down a little bit in a year or so with work, still have big plans for the car when it would be nice to have the time, space, and climate to work on it.

Until then it’s scrambling under jack stands in 30 degree weather on my day off ha.

pdan

Ready to race!
It’s always nice to come home after being away for awhile and be greeted by car parts. No idea when I’m going to be able to get these on, but they look amazing and I can’t wait

pdan

Ready to race!
It’s now been another 5 weeks or so without being home to drive the GTI. Living on a military base as a contractor and driving a rental Corolla is starting to wear real thin. Gave my keys to a co worker who drove it back and forth to work one day after being nice enough to dig and chisel it out of the snow and ice. Hoping it’s still in decent shape when I head home in another 2 weeks.....

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
It’s now been another 5 weeks or so without being home to drive the GTI. Living on a military base as a contractor and driving a rental Corolla is starting to wear real thin. Gave my keys to a co worker who drove it back and forth to work one day after being nice enough to dig and chisel it out of the snow and ice. Hoping it’s still in decent shape when I head home in another 2 weeks.....

Next mod = garage/shop? :)

pdan

Ready to race!
Next mod = garage/shop? :)

Ha yeah I can’t wait for the day when I can finally get one, dreaming about it. First I gotta stop moving everywhere and settle somewhere warm.

pdan

Ready to race!
Holy balls it’s been forever since I’ve been on here. Working 6 on/ 1 off has been pretty terrible, but the money has been sweet. Found out I have to move to Billings Montana in 3 weeks or so for work. Thinking about getting a TJ wrangler when I get up there. I’d love to keep the GTI and drive it up there, but for sure can’t in the winter. I may ship it to PA where I can put it in my parents spare garage space until I make the move down south for good. In the meantime want to get as much done on it as I can. Need new tires, and probably new wheels to fit my TTRS brakes that I still have to put on. Maybe have time to go k04 this summer. Lots to do always.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Holy balls it’s been forever since I’ve been on here. Working 6 on/ 1 off has been pretty terrible, but the money has been sweet. Found out I have to move to Billings Montana in 3 weeks or so for work. Thinking about getting a TJ wrangler when I get up there. I’d love to keep the GTI and drive it up there, but for sure can’t in the winter. I may ship it to PA where I can put it in my parents spare garage space until I make the move down south for good. In the meantime want to get as much done on it as I can. Need new tires, and probably new wheels to fit my TTRS brakes that I still have to put on. Maybe have time to go k04 this summer. Lots to do always.

Nice! Montana is beautiful! I was stationed in Minot, ND for 4 years and always escaped to Montana when I could. The fishing, hiking, mountains, clean air, etc is amazing. I hope you transition well!

Also, I have a LJ Wrangler in addition to my VW's too. Hit me up if you have any buying questions or wrenching questions. They are fun (and MUCH easier to work on).

Here's mine

pdan

Ready to race!
Once again been forever since I’ve posted, the work never ends. Made the move to Montana, was not an enjoyable trip up with the uhaul plus the car on the back. Gas killed me.

On the plus side I have a garage now, which is incredibly awesome.

Hoping to sit the GTI and do some real work on it whenever I get time, still looking for a decent Jeep to daily. Side note, anyone that has lived or been through Billings ever found 93 oct anywhere?? Been spoiled the last 2 years and was able to find it everywhere I lived. Gave up after looking through 6 or 7 stations and re tuned for 91. Guess I have to get calibrations from Stratified sent back.

I’ve searched briefly about a DIY for swapping brakes, still have a TTRS set I need to put on. Found something on the vortex about a guy with an R doing it. As far as I understand it it’s a direct swap, we just need a banjo bolt or something?? If anyone can point me in the direction of a post or DIY it would be greatly appreciated having never done anything with brakes before.

pdan

Ready to race!
Updates, things have been going good and bad. Finally got an upgraded pendulum mount, went to install it and everything was going fine until it wasn’t.

Tried to extract it myself but I guess my bits weren’t sharp enough. Got a small sort of pilot hole drilled but wasn’t able to get it out. So finally had to tuck my tail and bring it to a shop that was able to drill it out for me. Pretty sure the company I purchased it through sent me the wrong APR mount after comparing it to my OEM one, doesn’t look like it’s the right shape and has a big gap of exposed bolt.

pdan

Ready to race!
Been driving in Montana now for a bit on my 91 oct stratified tune and it seems like it’s pretty good, first time I’ve had to use the 91 since getting tuned. The only thing that alarms me is that the long term fuel trims seem to be a bit high when I’m idling, getting up to 1.15 or so. If I remember correctly, the higher the number means leaner, please correct if I’m wrong. Regardless I think I need to get an updated tune.

pdan

Ready to race!
After much searching and a large amount of headaches I finally have a daily/commuter now so I can spent some more time under the GTI.

Huge pains in trying to get it shipped from PA and all the accompanying issues but it’s here now and it serves its purpose as a comfy daily. Need to probably service it soon, but hopefully it’ll be easier to work on than the GTI.

pdan

Ready to race!
Decided on ordering the full 034 pendulum and accompanying mounts after the APR mount debacle and seeing my ecs tuning insert turn basically to mush