GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs MINI S?

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Just got rid of my MCS for the GTI. 50k miles on an 07 model and nothing but problems, more problems, and then some. No regrets so far...

Sent from my iPad3 via Tapatalk

I feel ya there, I had an 08 that I put 124,600km on from new and I had many issues too... Loved the car, but haven't really looked back since the change to GTI

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
What issues did you all have, just curious for future reference.

Cause I have had various minor R56 known issues, water pump - easy swap, thermostat - takes under and hour, hpfp - under warranty.

Too me thats really not the horrible for 95k miles.

Tuned for 30k with no news problems that were self inflicted. I am just ready for a new platform.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
What issues did you all have, just curious for future reference.

Cause I have had various minor R56 known issues, water pump - easy swap, thermostat - takes under and hour, hpfp - under warranty.

Too me thats really not the horrible for 95k miles.

Tuned for 30k with no news problems that were self inflicted. I am just ready for a new platform.

Lets see... I'll try and list what i remember;

- Passenger door handle broken (happened on both my 08 and 05)

- Stock intake design causing condensation freezing throttle body (car starts but wont get out of limp mode) usually only happened on colder days in winter

- Water pump coolant leaking

- squeaky belt almost from brand new, finally replaced and fixed 2 years later...

- Water pump fail (at 50,000km too :S)

- Coil packs defective

- HPFP dying (didn't replace but was shitting out slowly)

- RPM gauge rattle like crazy (replaced whole gauge under warranty)

- Turbo oil feed line leaking (replaced at my own expense)

- Timing chain Tensioner rattle - replaced 3 separate times, and on 4th time finally solved! 2 diff dealers to figure that out.

- And when I finally went to give the car away, it still had an oil leak that BMW couldn't find, nor could my local VW dealer....

Just lots of headaches during ownership, and the thing is this is more common with R56's then it isnt. And not trying to knock them, its just the sad truth. MINI is consistently rated low on the quality scales.... VW was for a while too for that matter. So far everything been good for me with the GTI to this point. I loved my MINI(s) but early on it had many weird little issues.

Lots of these problems occurred in chunks, many times the car was okay, but then issues would start and keep coming for a bit, then be fixed, and everything is fine.

gogtigo1

Ready to race!
Sunroof issue 3x complete roof, track, wiring, switches etc. 100% removed and replaced.
Cold start rattle
Tensioner
Aux electric water pump
Coolant leak
Thermostat replacement
Oil leak from oil pan gasket
Arm rest broke
Driver seat un threaded
Mysterious whiny sound front right area, no one could figure out where it came from. Bmw, 2 mini dealers

Took the car in for a pre-vacation maintenance check just to be cautious, and 5 days later the turbo literally blew and started chunking into pieces.

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
Test drove the Mini, loved the cornering and shift throws. Love the Cinquocento, love the Focus, love the Fiesta, love the Fit. If it's hatched and likes to corner I like it.

As for why I didn't get the cooper, didn't like the nonexistent space that I couldn't put my dog in. That would have been something that I almost could have seen past if it weren't for the form over function ergonomics. Sorry, my speed is between me, the car, and the occasional police. That big saucer in the middle would have landed me tons of grief from the Mrs. The feel of the interior more or less confirmed what the raters said vis a vis the perceptions and preceding lists.

Davisflyer

Passed Driver's Ed
It seems the Mini R56 models have lots of issues. My 2006 R53 has been very reliable for 6.5 years with only a few minor and common issues, like replacing the upper engine mount and having the JCW exhaust crack. I've been through a couple 02 sensors, but that's probably more due to my header than anything else.

I will say that Consumer Reports speaks very highly of the GTI, including reliability, earning a "recommended" and the number 1 spot on affordable sporty cars.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
I went on several test drives in Minis and was strongly considering the Clubman S (I have kids, I needed a backseat with room for people with legs). Then I drove a GTI and was VERY impressed with how easy it was to drive.

It's like even the shifter, clutch, steering, etc was ergonomically designed in the GTI to make it pleasurable to drive, even if it had no where near as much power as my previous ride (Forester turbo).

Even though on paper the Mini seemed like it should be faster, it actually didn't feel all that peppy or fast. The GTI at least felt peppy. And while the usable cargo space in the GTI was a huge plus over the Clubman, it was the feel of the driving dynamics that really won me over.

I'll also say that while the Mini's steering felt super sharp (as expected), I actually doubted it's overall grip ability. It just didn't inspire sheer ludicrous cornering confidence, though since I don't own one it's hard to make that judgement. And I'm sure with the few mods I'm planning for the GTI it will be absolutely amazing.

All said, I respect the Mini but I'm glad I bought the GTI instead. Overall nicer yet sporty driving experience, more room, and less cheesy interior.

gogtigo1

Ready to race!
My MCS was a absolute joy to drive, but at some point, as an average consumer in this recession, i cannot afford to sink more and more dollars in a daily driver, time off, and hassle of dealerships, third party mechs, and the disruption to two working peoples lives.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
It seems the Mini R56 models have lots of issues. My 2006 R53 has been very reliable for 6.5 years with only a few minor and common issues, like replacing the upper engine mount and having the JCW exhaust crack. I've been through a couple 02 sensors, but that's probably more due to my header than anything else.

I will say that Consumer Reports speaks very highly of the GTI, including reliability, earning a "recommended" and the number 1 spot on affordable sporty cars.

Yes, the R53 models were totally different then the R56 quality wise. The R56 has a nicer "feeling" quality to its materials inside the cabin, however I still think I like the look of the inside of my R53 better when I had it. But yes the R56 is the car with the issues to the max, the R53, not nearly as bad in my experience.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
I went on several test drives in Minis and was strongly considering the Clubman S (I have kids, I needed a backseat with room for people with legs). Then I drove a GTI and was VERY impressed with how easy it was to drive.

It's like even the shifter, clutch, steering, etc was ergonomically designed in the GTI to make it pleasurable to drive, even if it had no where near as much power as my previous ride (Forester turbo).

Even though on paper the Mini seemed like it should be faster, it actually didn't feel all that peppy or fast. The GTI at least felt peppy. And while the usable cargo space in the GTI was a huge plus over the Clubman, it was the feel of the driving dynamics that really won me over.

I'll also say that while the Mini's steering felt super sharp (as expected), I actually doubted it's overall grip ability. It just didn't inspire sheer ludicrous cornering confidence, though since I don't own one it's hard to make that judgement. And I'm sure with the few mods I'm planning for the GTI it will be absolutely amazing.

All said, I respect the Mini but I'm glad I bought the GTI instead. Overall nicer yet sporty driving experience, more room, and less cheesy interior.

Having owned an R53 S and R56 S I can tell you they handle amazing, I used to regularly take highway on ramps at well over 100mph. In the handling dept they are stronger then the GTI stock for stock, although the GTI isn't too far behind.

However I still maintain that stock for stock the R56 would get owned by an MK6 in a drag. My findings were in line with yours above, I just don't feel like the Cooper S is very fast at all from stock, the "peppyness" you speak of with the GTI, thats lacking in the S. JCW? Totally different story.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
Yes it sounds like most of us were plagued with the early model R56S problems. I know since 2009+ the amount of failures and problems has greatly decreased but the 07-08 were likely to have the mentioned problems.

As I have had a few which to me werent significant at all. But i consider a water pump and thermostat just maintenance items. The biggest issue i see is the timing chain one, the oil related ones and turbo related ones i push back on the owners generally for not checking things. To each their own.

I like the GTi a lot as I have loved the MINI so to me its not really an agrument about whats better more so what fits you. The JCW does make up some of the lack in power as I have seen one locally making 260WHP/310WTQ stock turbo (RMW tuned).

Throw a JCW turbo on an S and you can easily see that, or you put the bigger K04 hybrid on there and can shoot for 275-280WHP.

Both are great choices, and both fit different needs.

Dybz

Banned
what turbo does the JCW use stock?

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
what turbo does the JCW use stock?

Just a slightly larger trim K03 - Alta states it like this:

Stock MCS Turbo 21 lbs-min 210HP
Stock JCW Turbo 25 lbs-min 250HP
ALTA Billet 56 Turbo 28 lbs-min 280HP

Compressor Wheel
Inducer Size Exducer Size lbs/min
ALTA Billet 56 43.3mm 56mm with 59.32mm extended tips 28
MINI Cooper Sl 37.8mm 50mm with 53.77mm extended tips 20-21
Turbine Wheel
Major Exducer Size Exducer size
ALTA Billet 56 50mm 42mm
MINI Cooper Sl 45mm 40.5mm
JCW 45mm 40.5mm

Even though altas turbo is extremely overpriced to the point its not worth it. The thing with the JCW is it runs like 18/19PSI factory.. where the MCS is running 12.5PSI. But the JCW map sensors read higher boost levels than the MCS. I have been trying to find more info on swapping to the JCW MAP sensor and having the dealer reflash me as a JCW and then getting tuned for like 22-23PSI. Currently am only running 18-19PSI.

zrickety

The Fixer
We just got a Cooper S for the wife, I agree with most of what's posted here. It has it's virtues, but the GTI is more practical. I'm trying to keep it stock, but I am curious about the various boost tunes.
Boosted_R56, let me know if you ever tried that MAP swap.