GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Operating oil temperature

DXBGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
What should the operating oil temperature of the MK6 GTI? I have the european model which gives the read out on the MFI.

My car runs at between 98 and 107 degrees C depending on how spirited my driving is

any feedback, ive searched and there doesnt seem to be much on this, unless im looking or searching for the wrong words :thumbsup:

plat

Ready to race!
Damn you europeans... why the hell can't I have an oil temp readout on my MFI?!

:(

x1. Making this feature available on our GTI's (North American) won't make the cost of the car any worse that it is. It is a functional feature that I wish we had.

Last edited:

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I have the same temps on mine OP, i get max around 105 or so, my car is new, so hopefully that's normal, if you push it.

I usually don't push the car on the morning until it reached about 80.

DXBGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same temps on mine OP, i get max around 105 or so, my car is new, so hopefully that's normal, if you push it.

I usually don't push the car on the morning until it reached about 80.

good to know, I knew it would be around that mark just wanted to confirm it.

Also as other posts mention, I dont see why VW wouldnt make the oil tmp part of the MFI, it wouldnt cost anymore, and even if it did just at $10 to the cost of the car, im sure 99% of people would find it usefull

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Probably there are some laws behind it or so, America is known for their strange laws when it comes to cars.

I also read somewhere that the mkv GTI didn't come with launch control in the US, to minimize street racing lol

ps just noticed that we drive the same car lol

rotorhead1

Probably there are some laws behind it or so, America is known for their strange laws when it comes to cars.

As far as I know most of our laws with cars have to do with safety. There's no law for oil temp guages. It's just VW not giving us enough info. More than likely it has more to do with them wanting to make the GTI as cheap as possible to sell here.

Drunknfoo

Ready to race!
decided to play around with my vag today, recorded a top temp reading of 110C at full operating temp, ambient temp of about 15C as it was pretty cold today.

maxgtiturbo1

Ready to race!
good to know, I knew it would be around that mark just wanted to confirm it.

Also as other posts mention, I dont see why VW wouldnt make the oil tmp part of the MFI, it wouldnt cost anymore, and even if it did just at $10 to the cost of the car, im sure 99% of people would find it usefull
99% of people wont even know that that feature exists, let alone how to use/read it.

I also read somewhere that the mkv GTI didn't come with launch control in the US, to minimize street racing lol

ps just noticed that we drive the same car lol

that's how dumb rumors get started.
As far as I know most of our laws with cars have to do with safety. There's no law for oil temp guages. It's just VW not giving us enough info. More than likely it has more to do with them wanting to make the GTI as cheap as possible to sell here.
This.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion

quarantine

Ready to race!
The maximum temp I've seen was 105.
how much it could take? around 120. anymore than that and you're going to need a serious oil cooler

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Mine has seen 112 before couple days, i felt bad and took it easy for the rest of the road...i always feel bad for the car, only launched it once since i bought it.

=|

joga

I have seen my temp up to 116c... This is in BKK, Thailand where it's 40c+ all year round.

Normal Operating Temp, I say ranges between 99c-105c. 116c is when I "autobahn" it.

I noticed, however, having a/c on lowers oil temp tremendously. I usually let car cool down to 101c - 102c before I shut it off or it will keep radiator fan running.