GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone tried the mk7 replica headlight look?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I am debating on going to projector headlights soon. And as much as i like the mk6 style projector/led headlights the mk7 retrofit headlights are starting to grow on me.
I know a couple people on vortex did them but im not a member on there and the threads been dead for 6 months or so.

This is what im talking about...

and this (same) but close up.

Has anyone done this on here? Is the coding the same... all the listings say they are plug and play, which i dont doubt, but we also know that led headlights almost always need coding for them to function properly as DRL etc.

My main wondering is if the coding is the same as mk6... they didnt dive into the coding on the vortex thread.

CHerna

Ready to race!
I still don't know how I feel about the MK7 style lights. I want to like them, but something stops me from fully liking them. I think the quality with these is hit or miss. I've seen some in person that had moisture inside the assembly. The peasant halogens suck. I hope VX Tuning comes out with something and reasonably priced. Fingers crossed.

I love those, but can't justify $900

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
yeah i cant and wont spend 900 on those. lol im asking about the mk7 because they go for like 350-400 for replicas.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I still don't know how I feel about the MK7 style lights. I want to like them, but something stops me from fully liking them. I think the quality with these is hit or miss. I've seen some in person that had moisture inside the assembly. The peasant halogens suck. I hope VX Tuning comes out with something and reasonably priced. Fingers crossed.

Yeah at first when i saw them i thought WTF? but then the more i look im like hmmm.. those aint that bad.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
yeah i cant and wont spend 900 on those. lol im asking about the mk7 because they go for like 350-400 for replicas.

The osrams are well worth it. I have them and no aftermarket lights compare to them or even come close. Those mk7 style ones made by sypder have the god awful wiring nightmare on the back of the headlights just asking for problems with that mess. Go look on ebay plenty of other mk7 style headlights out there without the wiring mess. They are made by Vland.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I like the look for the price but would be positive they have just as shitty projectors as my helix r20 reps. The light output is just awful. I'm going to go the osram route soon enough and not look back.

If you can deal with poor light output (like worse than stock halogens) then go for it though.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I’ve had them for a year and a half now. 55w hid in them and aimed properly the output is unreal.

Haven’t had one issue yet, I did zip tie the hell out of the wiring birds nest though.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The osrams are well worth it. I have them and no aftermarket lights compare to them or even come close. Those mk7 style ones made by sypder have the god awful wiring nightmare on the back of the headlights just asking for problems with that mess. Go look on ebay plenty of other mk7 style headlights out there without the wiring mess. They are made by Vland.

Im sure they are but almost 2/3 more the price is hard to justify when the car will most likely be gone in a couple years. Yeah ive been looking at more VLAnds on ebay and stuff.. i wouldnt buy spyder.

I like the look for the price but would be positive they have just as shitty projectors as my helix r20 reps. The light output is just awful. I'm going to go the osram route soon enough and not look back.

If you can deal with poor light output (like worse than stock halogens) then go for it though.
Hmmm.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I’ve had them for a year and a half now. 55w hid in them and aimed properly the output is unreal.

Haven’t had one issue yet, I did zip tie the hell out of the wiring birds nest though.

Got any pics? i was thinking of using a 35w hid.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

riceburner

Autocross Champion
If anyone has picture proof of the light output (ime., Cutoff line against a wall) I would retract my statement. I'd love to see it.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
DSGVW and i have been talking via private message.
Here is a pic, riceburner, of the cutoff at dusk last night he sent me

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I'll take a night shot if I remember this week - the cutoff and output on these lights is great, though I am cheating a bit with the 55w setup.