GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Andromeda

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Nice build so far! I'm a bit jealous of your clutch and LSD. Hopefully you get the coil issue sorted quickly and get her back out on the road.

If youre still looking to go K04 I have one for sale:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107877

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Nice build so far! I'm a bit jealous of your clutch and LSD. Hopefully you get the coil issue sorted quickly and get her back out on the road.

If youre still looking to go K04 I have one for sale:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107877

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thank you! I would still love a K04, but I'm too late for yours and I'm going to ride this Stage 2 out for a while. Probably next year for that upgrade.

So here's some more about the car and where it is currently at.

The service manager lent me one of his personal coils to hold me over while my new one came in the mail, due to my P302 CEL. Everything seemed fine on his coil, but the CEL did flash once at high RPM. Once I got my replacement in, it too threw a CEL. First flashing, then steady. I'm going to swap cylinder 1 and 2 plugs and see if this moves the CEL. Hopefully it's just a faulty plug.

The car has been fixed of its leak. The crankcase seal was bad and was recently replaced at an extremely helpful shop. No oil got on the clutch, just the rear of the flywheel, from driving with the bad seal. After everything new was sealed up I went for a drive. It was pouring rain outside, but I watched my RPMs jump quickly in 4th-6th gear without moving much faster. I wasn't spinning the tires at those speeds, it was clutch slip. I was surprised and upset, but was told to drive the car for a little while gently and see what happened. Sure enough, after 200~ miles the clutch holds strong. No slipping at all in any gear. The stiffer clutch is actually quite nice. It feels like a clutch should to me. You know it's there, but it isn't tiring. I stumbled onto this thread http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64975 and bought the $10 clutch stop. It's a wonderful little mod, and makes working this SouthBend clutch a joy.

During the process of Stage 2 I obviously got a DP. The APR catted DP is now paired to my AWE exhaust and honestly it's pretty quiet. There's still no drone, unless you're sitting at a higher RPM/low gear. But that could just as easy be engine noise with my removal of the weather strip and hood lining. I may put them back on to see how it sounds in comparison. WOT it sounds great and not ricey, but honestly not that loud either. Good enough for a nice exhaust, not loud enough to annoy most people. I am not completely sold on partial throttle exhaust right now. It's not bad, but not special either.

Overall the car is great. Fixing this last code and it should be good for a while. It pulls strong is very fun to DD right now.

Lastly I'm planning a small addition of a 8" sub in the rear. The stock system is alright, but lacks oomph. I would rather turn down my stock speaker bass level to give them more headroom, and send the lows to a dedicated sub. The reason I am going with an 8" is because it's not going to take up a lot of room, I don't need massive walls of bass, and this should fill out the low end enough to supplement an otherwise stock system. No reason for an expensive SQ sub setup with the non-Dynaudio speakers I have. The system will cost $400 for the sub, ported box, amp, wiring, and all supporting pieces. Shouldn't be killer, but won't be poor quality pre-bought setups.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Glad you got those issues figured out man.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Glad you got those issues figured out man.

Thanks, though it may not be the plug. I haven't had time to swap out anything just yet. But I'm hoping it's as simple as that.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I tried moving plugs and even bought a whole new set, I still get the P0302 CEL. So it's back to searching as to why this might happen. The flashing CEL appears most consistently above 6k RPM in 2nd gear, and after a few times will stay lit.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
I tried moving plugs and even bought a whole new set, I still get the P0302 CEL. So it's back to searching as to why this might happen. The flashing CEL appears most consistently above 6k RPM in 2nd gear, and after a few times will stay lit.

What's your plug gap set to?

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
What's your plug gap set to?

The ones I just took out should be at .032" from when the shop put them in, when the service manager double checked a separate time for me, and from when I most recently took them out. I don't have wire gaps so I couldn't tell if it was exactly .032" or not, I didn't want to ruin them with the cheap little disc gapper I have.

The new plugs, with that same disc gapper, are right around .030"-.031" so between all of those gap I think I've exhausted that idea. I would like to be wrong on this haha.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
The ones I just took out should be at .032" from when the shop put them in, when the service manager double checked a separate time for me, and from when I most recently took them out. I don't have wire gaps so I couldn't tell if it was exactly .032" or not, I didn't want to ruin them with the cheap little disc gapper I have.

The new plugs, with that same disc gapper, are right around .030"-.031" so between all of those gap I think I've exhausted that idea. I would like to be wrong on this haha.

Just to give you some reference, my plugs are gapped at .24

When I was going through my tuning process, the tuner had me close the gap quite a bit. My car was running like crap until I changed the gap. Now it's running like a champ. It may be worth gapping your plugs at .24-.26 and see if it makes a difference for you. I used a cheap autozone gap disc and it worked just fine.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Just to give you some reference, my plugs are gapped at .24

When I was going through my tuning process, the tuner had me close the gap quite a bit. My car was running like crap until I changed the gap. Now it's running like a champ. It may be worth gapping your plugs at .24-.26 and see if it makes a difference for you. I used a cheap autozone gap disc and it worked just fine.

Maybe the shop did set it lower than what I "read" on my gap tool, I trust them more than I do myself haha. But since I now have 2 sets of plugs I might as well give it a shot.

The car runs pretty well though. It just throws that code. But I will still give a smaller gap a test and see how the car likes it. Thanks for the info!

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Maybe the shop did set it lower than what I "read" on my gap tool, I trust them more than I do myself haha. But since I now have 2 sets of plugs I might as well give it a shot.

The car runs pretty well though. It just throws that code. But I will still give a smaller gap a test and see how the car likes it. Thanks for the info!

I'm anxious to hear back on if the gap fixed your code.

Wideopentuning

Ready to race!
Definitely try and close the gap a touch and see. We haven't ran into issues at Stage 2 utilizing the stock gap but maybe yours is extra healthy [emoji6]

I'll be around all weekend doing water/meth on another MK6 if you want to go out and do some datalogging.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I'm anxious to hear back on if the gap fixed your code.

I should know this weekend, especially thanks to wideopentuning.

Definitely try and close the gap a touch and see. We haven't ran into issues at Stage 2 utilizing the stock gap but maybe yours is extra healthy [emoji6]

I'll be around all weekend doing water/meth on another MK6 if you want to go out and do some datalogging.

Alright I can do that. With all of the supporting mods it could be extra healthy haha. Not a bad thing to have.

Yeah I'd like to stop by, that would be great. I'll be good for anytime, I'll hit you up sometime tomorrow on when is best.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Gapped to 0.026" and still have the code come back. So we will see what the logs say this weekend. Those will also be new to me, never logged a car before.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
No logging this weekend due to me being sick, I don't want to spread it :p

In other news I have my sub installed. The wires need to be a little bit relocated to clean things up, but otherwise this thing is great for an 8" sub. It isn't muddy, hits low notes well, and is quite musical. It blends in well with the stock system which is good, because I don't want to replace all of the door speakers and put another amp in.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
With the newest version of the Stage 2 tune from APR I have yet to throw my P302 CEL! I really hope it's gone for good, but if not I'll go back to trying to figure out the cause.

Anyway the power comes on noticeably stronger now and the car feels more alive. It's still incredibly fun to drive and I'm very excited for a drag day next year. I haven't had any chance to pull against any cars other than one other GTI with unknown mods. They might have been stock for all I know because they could not come close to keeping up. One thing is for sure, I'll be racing my brothers Stage 2 Unitronic GTI once he has his clutch in and we have a proper area to do some pulls (aka drag strip). The weather is rather wet lately so putting power down in 1st or 2nd can be difficult. Even 3rd gear breaks the tires loose in the rain, but I'm not too surprised there.

This LSD in the rain does wonders. The bigger issue in corners now is both tires letting loose, not just a single wheel. So come summer time I'll look into some fresh summer tires and see what changes that brings.

Last is the APR catch can. I drained it the other day and there was a good pool that came out from it (into oil drain pan). Next time I'll have to try a cup or something because I swear 250 mL came out of it. I don't know how much it holds, but I'll be emptying it a little more often to be on the safe side. It really seemed like it was a mixture of oil and water that came out of it too.