GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Turbo, need recommendations

engine1navy1

I'm new to VWs and new to Turbo cars and imagine my excitement when a few months later I need to replace my Turbo. The car is just under 30,000 miles, I have no idea how the previous owner treated it so I'm a little shocked that it would fail so early. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an aftermarket direct replacement, no additional modifications. Not even sure if anything like that exists, I'm not necessarily looking for more power, I am just looking for something with a high quality build/reliability. Extra power would be nice but not if it is going to cost significantly more. I was quoted $1400 for the new Turbo (not including install) so anything around there or cheaper would be great. Thanks for any help!

Uberryan

Banned
I'd go K04 if you want a bump in power. If you plan to play with this car, do it now, rather than going through the install costs twice.

Laimface

Ready to race!
Plenty of different K04 kits about from various companies that cost the same as a new stock one!

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
I'm new to VWs and new to Turbo cars and imagine my excitement when a few months later I need to replace my Turbo. The car is just under 30,000 miles, I have no idea how the previous owner treated it so I'm a little shocked that it would fail so early. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an aftermarket direct replacement, no additional modifications. Not even sure if anything like that exists, I'm not necessarily looking for more power, I am just looking for something with a high quality build/reliability. Extra power would be nice but not if it is going to cost significantly more. I was quoted $1400 for the new Turbo (not including install) so anything around there or cheaper would be great. Thanks for any help!

I have my stock turbo in a box ready to go if you need it.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. We have plenty of options available to help you get back on the road at a reasonable cost. Shoot me an e-mail and I will gladly provide pricing info for you.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg@excelerateperformance.com :thumbsup:

engine1navy1

Plenty of different K04 kits about from various companies that cost the same as a new stock one!

K04 sounds nice but wouldn't I need additional parts beyond just the Turbo? Maybe its lame but I don't plan on doing many performance mods to my car so would any K04 bolt up to all the stock components?

slowgti08

Ready to race!
K04 sounds nice but wouldn't I need additional parts beyond just the Turbo? Maybe its lame but I don't plan on doing many performance mods to my car so would any K04 bolt up to all the stock components?

You would need a down pipe and tune as well as an intake I would say. Recommended items would be of course an intercooler DV, relocation kit and probably save up for a clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fast2ghl

Ready to race!

You can run a k04 on a completely bone stock car if you want. All you'd need would be the tune to go with it, no other hardware but the turbo.

However you obviously wont be getting the full bang for your buck, but you can totally do it.

Laimface

Ready to race!
K04 kits come with everything you need, REVO and APR ones come with a map too. A downpipe and intake are recommended but it will work fine stock as the Edition 35 GTI has one from stock!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
As someone said ^above you can get one for cheap lots of guys upgraded and can sell you one cheap.

You really need to find out why the original failed so early !!!