GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you use a race oil for track day?

somerset91

Ready to race!
I wouldn't be able to sleep easy if I don't do an oil change just for the track day, so now the question becomes--which oil to use.

So here I am, asking advice from strangers on the internet again.

Do you guys use a specific oil for track day, or keep using your preferred VW 502 oil?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
You will be fine with your VW spec oil, I've done several track events with fresh(ish) oil and did an oil change afterwards. Make sure you're topped up and bring extra oil to check oil levels in-between sessions and you'll be fine. As long as you're using something quality like Amsoil, Liquid-Moly, Motul, Mobil, Pennzoil, etc.

zrickety

The Fixer
I did my track day on Mobil 1, but I run 10w-40 instead of the 0w-40. You will be fine either way. Just definitely watch your level and change it early. I would also do a brake fluid flush if you haven't recently. The brakes really get cooked.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Every track day I have done I always changed my oil before going, use what you are now using. That was part of my nut n bolt check before going to the track. Check everything....

As zrickety says make sure your brake fluid is fresh & up to the job.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
^ their advice is good, do that. But I do want to echo the importance of checking the oil level between sessions. Keep it topped off and also throw a quick eye at the coolant level while you’re in there.

somerset91

Ready to race!
Sounds good. Might just go with Castrol Edge 5W40 for that day. It's not my preferred Motul x-cess but it's good enough to keep my cam follower alive for 70k miles.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
You will be fine with your VW spec oil, I've done several track events with fresh(ish) oil and did an oil change afterwards. Make sure you're topped up and bring extra oil to check oil levels in-between sessions and you'll be fine. As long as you're using something quality like Amsoil, Liquid-Moly, Motul, Mobil, Pennzoil, etc.

You mentioned Amsoil? Which one? Have you tried it before?