GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The vacuum line for the PCV came loose today, got a CEL with a bunch a codes. I had reused the old plastic PCV piping when installing the UM/HEP SRI, which ment stressing them to fit. I gotta redo the PCV port and lines so they sit without any stress. Good time to redo a few things with the installation and ordered some parts to sort the performance issues. Ordered new VW O2 and MAP sensors, hoping to get them tomorrow, ... friking Dealers don't stock sensors WTF :mad:

Last edited:

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Congratulation Kollin, actually a great time to get into a MK6 R, although older FSI engine, IMO better value than buying a GTI if you can find a good one.

I agree, got it for a steal. Hadn't seen an R listed that low ever. Car was well taken care of, guy who owned it managed a detail shop, so I at least know that the paint and interior are mint. Only downside was I had quite few plans set out for the 2.5 in the next 6 months or so, but oh well. Saved me a bit of money on the modding side at least.

That's both funny and concerning at the same time.

I agree. Hope he his able to keep the same vision I had for the car lol

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Re-doing the PCV vacuum port on my UM/HEP SRI; attempting to use the same stock vacuum port spec to keep the Stock Air/Oil Separator/PCV working correctly. The two big can like bumps on the stock valve covers are designed to allow the oil to drip back to the oil galley when throttle body closes and intake manifold vacuum increases and moves the diaphragm to the "almost" closed position; less vacuum and the diaphragm stays open more and can result in more oil sucked into the intake manifold. The Vacuum Port dimensions of the VW2.5 Intake Manifold maybe 3/4 inches in dimension but the actual working inside diameter (ID) of 5/8 inch (minimum 1/2 inch) must be maintained to provide sufficient vacuum power to operate the diaphragm PCV againsts spring tension. Click to see how it works if you can't picture it.

Sorry, I didn't use cool AN fittings, .... bought a Street 90 Elbow and NPT adapter today at Home Depot, fits the UM/HEP SRI, as it uses NPT threads. I plan to screw in a large enough barb to the large side of the Street 90 to connect it to the stock PCV plastic piping using a piece of hose and hose clamps.

Last edited:

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Went on a rampage trying to swap out my winters today for my AS tires. The locking bolt key was too stripped to be able to get all wheel bolts out, so I have 2 lock bolts that are stuck on the rear. Spent the day hammering on a socket to get the bolts out, only to find that the ones I have on have a spinning collar to prevent that workaround. Gonna give it another go tomorrow, but if that doesn't work by noon, I'm hitting up a tire shop!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Went on a rampage trying to swap out my winters today for my AS tires. The locking bolt key was too stripped to be able to get all wheel bolts out, so I have 2 lock bolts that are stuck on the rear. Spent the day hammering on a socket to get the bolts out, only to find that the ones I have on have a spinning collar to prevent that workaround. Gonna give it another go tomorrow, but if that doesn't work by noon, I'm hitting up a tire shop!
Several years ago I lost the Wheel Lock for our Tiguan, I took it to the Dealer and one of the Techs used the Dealers Wheel Lock Key kit to remove all the locks and replaced them with wheel bolts, only charged half hour labour, free wheel bolts.

Around Markham absolutely no one steels VW factory wheels, if they aren't Golf R Wheels why bother.

Last edited:

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
FYI Castrol Edge Synthetic is 50% off at Canadian Tire right now.

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Several years ago I lost the Wheel Lock for our Tiguan, I took it to the Dealer and one of the Techs used the Dealers Wheel Lock Key kit to remove all the locks and replaced them with wheel bolts, only charged half hour labour, free wheel bolts.

Around Markham absolutely no one steels VW factory wheels, if they aren't Golf R Wheels why bother.

Got almost all the locks off DIY except the last bolt on the back, I've pulled off the spinning collar, and tried to JB Weld a socket to the bolt but there isn't enough surface area for it to withstand the torque (it doesn't help that the lock is severely overtorqued..) Kind of wish I just took it to the dealer instead from the beginning, now I've got some strange MacGyvered job that the dealer probably won't want to touch.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Tried replacing the 02 Senor today , that went like $hit.... friking o2 sensor seized solid prolly from road salt over the years, need to take it to my buddy Andrew's shop to "torch it".

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Installed new O2 Sensor but now getting the dreaded P0106 Trouble Code popping up.

I DON'T GET IT !!! P0106 trouble code normally comes up for dirty oil covered MAP Sensor, Intake Manifold, Throttle Body BUT everything on the car is clean as a whistle from the R&R and the Throttle Body Adaptation was done after the TB cleaning.

I'm still using my make shift "Catch Bag" from the PCV Hose coming loose several days ago. Absolutely NO oil can get on the MAP Sensor as the PCV hose is disconnected from the UM/HEP Intake Manifold and emptying into a plastic bag with some paper towels .... yet I still get a P0106 Trouble Code.
https://imgur.com/vpiUbPf

:mad0259:

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Installed new O2 Sensor but now getting the dreaded P0106 Trouble Code popping up.

I DON'T GET IT !!! P0106 trouble code normally comes up for dirty oil covered MAP Sensor, Intake Manifold, Throttle Body BUT everything on the car is clean as a whistle from the R&R and the Throttle Body Adaptation was done after the TB cleaning.

I'm still using my make shift "Catch Bag" from the PCV Hose coming loose several days ago. Absolutely NO oil can get on the MAP Sensor as the PCV hose is disconnected from the UM/HEP Intake Manifold and emptying into a plastic bag with some paper towels .... yet I still get a P0106 Trouble Code.
https://imgur.com/vpiUbPf

:mad0259:

P1060 can be MAP, dirty intake tract, intake leak, valve cover leak...basically vacuum leak. Since the PCV is not hooked up you can rule out the valve cover and PCV hose. Potentially an intake leak somewhere.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
P1060 can be MAP, dirty intake tract, intake leak, valve cover leak...basically vacuum leak. Since the PCV is not hooked up you can rule out the valve cover and PCV hose. Potentially an intake leak somewhere.
Hey Chris you finally chimed in, I had my Buddy Andrew check for vacuum leak, I did a pretty good job cleaning up the mating surfaces, ... none found. :iono:

:help:.

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Update on my single wheel lock.. I think I've used almost every method out there short of welding to get this damn thing off, but it's been really stubborn. Tried to bite the bullet to find a shop that's willing to take it off for me, but nobody wants to touch it so far.. Visiting a shop in person tomorrow so they can take a look and hopefully either weld/find a solution I haven't thought of yet.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Chris you finally chimed in, I had my Buddy Andrew check for vacuum leak, I did a pretty good job cleaning up the mating surfaces, ... none found. :iono:

:help:.

Ya. I just got handed 2 big projects at work and have been pretty busy. You're right where I was when I started all this modding madness...chasing down the stupid P1060 code. How well does the MAP sensor fit in the new manifold? Do the wires get stretched tight. I know mine is a bit of a stretch with the added length of the manifold. Maybe a loose connection. If I recall the sensor is not that old. I thought you replaced it around the time I was messing with mine. What happens if you wrap an old shirt around the air cleaner. Maybe the intake is letting in too much air if that's possible. Wouldn't think so as the TB is really the gatekeeper where that's concerned. The only way I got rid of mine was cleaning the TB and sensor really good. I also had just cleaned mine recently, twice actually. The third time was a charm I guess because it never came back. Other than that maybe the sensor got damaged somehow.

Is the PCV valve still intact? Seeing that P1060 can also be PCV/valve cover related it may be related to running with the PCV intact and not hooked up.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Today, I went to the dark side. Instead of buying a S4 B5, I decided to keep my car and turbo it. Main reasons beeing that engine are so cheap to replace, if the body become rusted as hell, Rabbit and Golf are cheap to get in good condition

Plus, reliability, having a brand new setup and keeping a 5 cylinders :)

I will be using a SPA Turbo T3 manifold, I'm waiting for a reply from CTS Turbo, they have interesting price, free shipping and no import fees for Canadians, I should have a PT5858 T3 0.63AR V-band, a set of Bosch 550cc injectors and a set of harness adaptor for the injectors (EV14 to Nippon Type A)

For the wastegaste, blow-off and gauge support, I will get those in the used aftermarket
I'm getting a AEM Wideband from Amazon (lowest price I have seen)

I will be using an intercooler for a A3 / GTI MK6. I'm still not sure about my fuel system setup, people tends to use a DW65V pump, since it's bolt-on, but I might end up with a modified RS4 B7 pump. It seems that we don't need to upgrade fuel delivery system untill 15psi+, I'm planning for 10psi this summer, but I will probably upgrade later

So if you looking for less than 15psi, I have been told using DW65V or a RS4 B7 pump with stock filter would do the job

As for clutch kit, I might get a Clutchmaster FX series

If you are looking for a AWD swap, there is someone selling a aluminium subframe, haldex diff and driveshaft for 600$ CAD here in Quebec, come from a Passat 3.6 4Motion, it's really cheap

Last edited: