GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Under Seat Storage Tray DIY - Lot's of Pics

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Thanks to the OP for this DIY guide, pics are very useful.

ECS video is not so good, and completely skips the bracket.

Anyway I was easily able to verify that I had the right parts (just had the drivers side only), and then install with confidence.

Also torqued down the seat rail bolts when finished.

The fifth screw which I had was a larger (longer size) for the outer (door side) seat plastic trim piece. The trim piece really does not line up with this hole, so instead I just put some velcro tape to stop it rubbing in case it decided to make a noise.

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Did your kit come with both brackets?

Also, did you use a rivet gun?

My kit, (I only got the drivers side) had everything that I needed. So I had the right bracket. And yes I used a rivet gun...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
My kit, (I only got the drivers side) had everything that I needed. So I had the right bracket. And yes I used a rivet gun...

is doing the rivets to mount that retainer piece even needed? hypothetically what would happen should one install it like the guy in the ECS how-to video, sans retaining bracket?

Pissat4motion

Time Lord
is doing the rivets to mount that retainer piece even needed? hypothetically what would happen should one install it like the guy in the ECS how-to video, sans retaining bracket?
I have the retainer pieces but instead installed it like that ECS video. Operates fine without it. Only issue I ran into was having to bore out the holes very slightly in order for the screws to catch (might only be an issue on mk5 or maybe just my car?)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I have the retainer pieces but instead installed it like that ECS video. Operates fine without it. Only issue I ran into was having to bore out the holes very slightly in order for the screws to catch (might only be an issue on mk5 or maybe just my car?)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

did it with the reataining bits; i apparently cannot operate a rivet gun to get it to cleanly separate the pin from the rivet when youre done with it, but i am chalking it up to my choice of getting the cheapest rivet gun i could find.

clean install, and this guide was a bit more helpful than the ECS video. Thanks to OP.

i bought my parts from Deutsche Auto Parts. ended up being far cheaper than what ECS is charging right now for the set.