GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Steering Wheel Removal and Clock Spring Install

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
If you have been following my build thread lately, most of you know that I got the Airbag light followed by the electrical death of all electronics in my steering wheel. Later I found that my clock spring was the ultimate cause.

The clock spring is what converts the electrical connection to a electro mechanical unit that allows the connections to be maintained as the wheel is turning. This unit has been known to fail rapidly amongst various MKVs and some MKVI's. Hopefully the new design is far more robust.

Tools Needed
  • Small Screwdriver
  • Medium Sized Screwdriver
  • M12 Triple Square (XZN)
  • Torque Wrench
  • Rachet
  • T25 Torx
  • T8 Torx
  • 10mm Socket
  • Patience

Removing The Steering Wheel
  1. First, Unhook the battery. Since you dont want the air bag deploying in your face, this step is a definite necessity for safety. Start with the Negative terminal first then followed by the Positive

2. Wait about 10-20minutes to ensure all capacitors and electronics have been de-energized. Normally you should be able to go straight to it, but this step is more of a precautionary measure.
  3. Place Key in the ignition. This will prevent the steering wheel from locking up

4. Turn the Wheel 90* in either direction

5. You can see from this picture that there is a metal spring you must push down on to release the aig bag unit. Using a mirror, you can easily take a screwdriver and pop it downward towards the column.

6. Turn wheel 180* the other way and repeat for the other side
  7. Once the Air bag unit is loose, pull it straight outand be mindful of the electrical connections.

8. Disconnect the black connector. Should be easy enough to do by hand
  9. Disconnect the air bag igniter connector. There is a white tab that you must pull up on to remove it. I place a flathead behind it to get some leverage to pull up on it.
  10. Place unit to the side

11. Now, take note of the general surroundings.
  12. Using a M12 Triple Square remove the center bolt

13. Take note of the markings for steering wheel alignment.

14. Remove Steering Wheel and place out of the way

15. Using a flat head pop the upper column garnish upwards. Be careful not to scratch this area.

16. Now, Remove the two exposed Torx bolts. There is a Third underneath. You will have to pull down on the column adjustment handle to expose it well enough to get a tool in there.

17. Remove the Lower Column garnish
  18. Now, take note of your surroundings.

19. Unhook steering wheel module
  20. Remove T8 Torx that connects the clock spring to the steering wheel module
  21. Un do the clips that mount the clock spring and using some dexterity and light effort, remove the clock spring.
  22. Now reinstall new clock spring.
  23. Install steering wheel module connectors and T8 torx
  24. Install Column garnishes
  25. Install Steering wheel. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PROPERLY ALIGNED THE MARKINGS!
  26. Torque Steering wheel bolt down to 50NM (~37.5ft-lbs)
  27. Install Air Bag connector and Lower Steering wheel connector ( I beleive this is for the horn)
  28. Push until the rear springs clip in
  29. DONE!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 38,621
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 28,024
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 28,149
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 28,041
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 28,266
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 28,432
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 27,478
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 30,358
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 28,380
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 38,101
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 28,955
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 27,429
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 27,623

nik

Go Kart Champion
to discharge the capacitors faster I've pumped the brakes until lockup after disconnecting the battery and flicked some of the light switches on as well (map/parking)..I don't know if that's advisable, but had read that on another forum years back and I'm still alive.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
to discharge the capacitors faster I've pumped the brakes until lockup after disconnecting the battery and flicked some of the light switches on as well (map/parking)..I don't know if that's advisable, but had read that on another forum years back and I'm still alive.

Dont tell anyone....I disconnected the battery and went straight to work :thumbsup:....

Shhhhhhhh keep in on the DL :D

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Couple things to add...

First, you NEVER store a live airbag like that (face down), place it VW emblem up in the trunk or under the car itself so it deploys it's not going to launch itself metal side first and it won't be an area that will cause physical harm.

Second, the proper way to get the steering wheel module off is not dexterity and effort, it's a small allen key. You slide it in the little square gap and push it in about 1-1.5 inches and it will hit a release tab, wiggle it around to get the release tab to let go. If your doing the clock spring you can use just the front, anything else though and you need to release the tab you get to from the passenger side the same way.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Couple things to add...

First, you NEVER store a live airbag like that (face down), place it VW emblem up in the trunk or under the car itself so it deploys it's not going to launch itself metal side first and it won't be an area that will cause physical harm.

Second, the proper way to get the steering wheel module off is not dexterity and effort, it's a small allen key. You slide it in the little square gap and push it in about 1-1.5 inches and it will hit a release tab, wiggle it around to get the release tab to let go. If your doing the clock spring you can use just the front, anything else though and you need to release the tab you get to from the passenger side the same way.

Good to know. Strangely enough, I actually DID flip it back over after I took the picture due to that sort of thinking.

As for the module.....that definitely wouldve been great to know!

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Random but that little hub in picture 18 looks like the iron man arc-generator lol.

Did you end up installing the newer style mfsw?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Random but that little hub in picture 18 looks like the iron man arc-generator lol.

Did you end up installing the newer style mfsw?

Nope, just replacing the clock spring.