GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beat deal on K04?

RyanM3

The CTS kit was updated a few years (?) ago so it no longer requires a DV relocation. Having those gouges and needing to clock the turbo are certainly annoyances that I wouldn't expect to deal with purchasing a "kit". That said, my CTS K04 was all good.

I know they don't have the best reputation but they were the cheapest and the hardware was fine. I don't expect to ever have to interact with the company.

It was quite a few years ago that i went cts, good to hear they fixed that issue. I went with them for the same reason, hardware was fine and it was the cheapest. Even with the extra issues, I dont regret buying from them at all.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

As it arrived

Last edited:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Complete, everything you need as far as the turbo is concerned. If you are already stage 2 all you need is a tune. I had to purchase a 3 bar map sensor as required by apr. I bought a Bosch off of Amazon for a 1/3 rd of the price apr wants for them. I put turbo on then drove about 20 miles to get tuned.

jhstl

Passed Driver's Ed
The HPA kit is only $1500 at ecstuning. As far as I know it is the same turbo as all the other kits.

jhstl

Passed Driver's Ed
The HPA is actually not an oem Borg Warner k04. I believe its more akin an aftermarket chinese manufactured hybrid k04.

Interesting. I apologize, I did not know that. The description they use on the sites it is available do not lead you to believe it is any different than the other K04 kits. I guess I will cross that one off my list.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Is the cts kit complete to do the entire job or will I need to buy additional parts?
(Quoting myself from literally a few posts ago in this thread) You need the following in addition to what comes in the box:
I bought the CTS kit and am happy with it other than the fact that I had to source the thick banjo washer for the coolant return line (N0138144 but it is not made/in stock anymore). Assuming you are unable to find one, your options to create the necessary clearance are bend the hard line slightly or stack two washers.

Also needed a pair of extra banjo washers (N0138149) for one of the lines if you don't want to reuse the old ones. Those were easy though, just a quick trip to the local VW dealer parts department.
Add a 3bar map sensor if your tuner requires it (APR)

Last edited:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
The HPA is actually not an oem Borg Warner k04. I believe its more akin an aftermarket chinese manufactured hybrid k04.

This is correct, dude I looked at turbos 6 months before I had the money to buy. Wanted to make sure I was satisfied with my purchase. It's still gives me a smile :)

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
(Quoting myself from literally a few posts ago in this thread) You need the following in addition to what comes in the box:

Add a 3bar map sensor if your tuner requires it (APR)

I was able to source 2 of the washers for less than 4 bucks today. With luck will see them next week along with the CTS K04 turbo kit.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
While price is important, which is the best k04 kit in 2019? I called ECS and they recommended HPA. IE has a kit, CTS of course, which Stratified sells as part of a nice package) and many others. IE is a bit pricer, not sure why? HPA has great reputation as well. All seem to be Borg Warner components, or at least from the same BW manufacturer. I'd like to keep stock DV location if possible, which is only the case in some kits. Seems like whichever kit I get I'll be happy around 330 hp and then look into WMI after everything is sorted out with the new turbo. Already stage 2 with COBB parts, so which k04 kit do I buy?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting. I apologize, I did not know that. The description they use on the sites it is available do not lead you to believe it is any different than the other K04 kits. I guess I will cross that one off my list.

HPA's is not a Chinese knock off. The reason why it's so cheap is they purchase the BW shell that has the DV location already modified so they don't need to do any machining. In addition, they have their own proprietary wheel that's lighter and will produce quicker spool times.

So instead of purchasing a BW turbo and machining it/modifying it like everyone else does, HPA purchases the BW turbo in pieces and puts it together with their own hardware. I've been running the piss out of my HPA turbo and have had 0 issues with it.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Not best deal but I finally went with IE K04, was $1800 + $800 install. They had to fab a new coolant and oil line brackets. Hit 18 pounds of boost on base Stratified tune.