GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'Clicking' Noise when drivetrain not under load

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Welp, bad news. Selector fork broke in the gearbox and gave the gearbox a nice meal. Basically destroyed itself here. Shop has the car still, just going to get a refurbed unit at this point and have all wear items replaced, clutch, tob, resurface flyhweel. If this wasn't any worse of a time I'd have taken on the 02Q swap but that just isnt a reality at this point.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep. Worst thing is with the cost of the shop sourcing and replacing parts its way more than it would have been to tackle myself obviously. At least at the end I'll get to put on my dieselgeek short shifter i bought? haha.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Wish that was an option at the moment but unfortunately I'll need the car back as soon as possible. Currently borrowing a car from family while they don't need it, and that workable driveway space is 35 miles away and I have zero weekend time for the next month and a half. Like they say, time is money...

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to hear Naffy, how long does the Shop estimate it will take to complete the repairs?

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Couple of days. And then today of course a complete swap kit minus flywheel shows up somewhat close. We'll see what happens here.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Yep. Worst thing is with the cost of the shop sourcing and replacing parts its way more than it would have been to tackle myself obviously. At least at the end I'll get to put on my dieselgeek short shifter i bought? haha.

I will warn you that the dieselgeek shifter is much notchier than stock. I mention that because you are IE stage 2 and I think the reason is the synchros. For me with stage 2 the tendency is to be in the higher rpm range to compensate for the lower torque at lower rpm. I think this makes it difficult to shift without blipping the throttle, especially downshift. It's either that or shift at a lower rpm and bog the engine. I mention it as the SS kit seems to exaggerate this as it is less of a throw. You can feel the gears binding when shifting at higher rpm if you don't blip the throttle. I read a post bashing the DG SS kit because the guy broke his synchro (pretty much shattered it) and he blamed the kit. Personally I think the guy just tried to force a quick shift and broke it. Anyway just wanted to share my thoughts on the sigma 5 kit given we have a similar setup.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
I will warn you that the dieselgeek shifter is much notchier than stock. I mention that because you are IE stage 2 and I think the reason is the synchros. For me with stage 2 the tendency is to be in the higher rpm range to compensate for the lower torque at lower rpm. I think this makes it difficult to shift without blipping the throttle, especially downshift. It's either that or shift at a lower rpm and bog the engine. I mention it as the SS kit seems to exaggerate this as it is less of a throw. You can feel the gears binding when shifting at higher rpm if you don't blip the throttle. I read a post bashing the DG SS kit because the guy broke his synchro (pretty much shattered it) and he blamed the kit. Personally I think the guy just tried to force a quick shift and broke it. Anyway just wanted to share my thoughts on the sigma 5 kit given we have a similar setup.
Are you talking about downshifting? Can't say I've needed to blip the throttle ever on an upshift with stock shifter. Of course that might change once i drive it with the kit (still need the car back first :bellyroll:).

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Primarily downshifting but also upshifting if I'm shifting up towards redline. It makes sense I guess. My car shifts great in the normal 2 to 3k rpm range but I rarely shift in that range. I've never been a huge fan of the 5 speed in the Golf but I think that's because I came from the 6 speed in the TDI which shifted like butter always. Then again you never need to get a TDI into higher rpm. Anyway just food for thought. I thought maybe it was just my car but I have read others say similar things about the golf and GTI trannies. I think I even saw a video from the humble mechanic about sychros at one point where he talks about double clutching and blipping the throttle when downshifting.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Primarily downshifting but also upshifting if I'm shifting up towards redline. It makes sense I guess. My car shifts great in the normal 2 to 3k rpm range but I rarely shift in that range. I've never been a huge fan of the 5 speed in the Golf but I think that's because I came from the 6 speed in the TDI which shifted like butter always. Then again you never need to get a TDI into higher rpm. Anyway just food for thought. I thought maybe it was just my car but I have read others say similar things about the golf and GTI trannies. I think I even saw a video from the humble mechanic about sychros at one point where he talks about double clutching and blipping the throttle when downshifting.
Double clutching, that's from another time... the last time I used a transmission that "actually" required double clutching was in the 1970s driving a Formula Ford 1600 with a Hewland gearbox without syncros; up-shifting you race shifted without using the clutch BUT on the down-shift you had to double clutch and rev match to help synchronize the gear engagement or you actually grinded the gears, not crash the syncros like with todays cars,... totally different time, now all manual gear boxes have syncros and technology like DSG, ... take the good out of Driver. :lol:

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
The GTI crowd seems to talks about it all the time. Probably because it sounds like the cool thing to do. Hell even my '48 willies doesn't need to be double clutched; however it shifts like a tractor...well it basically is a tractor.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The GTI crowd seems to talks about it all the time. Probably because it sounds like the cool thing to do. Hell even my '48 willies doesn't need to be double clutched; however it shifts like a tractor...well it basically is a tractor.
It's a Fast and Furious thing, I think most Millennials use the phrase, they grew up with it in the media, do they actually use it IDK. I was born in Jamaica and learnt to drive on my Dad's delivery trucks, raising hell on hilly coastal roads, if you ever vacationed in Jamaica you'll get it, ....those trucks had column shifters and non syncro gearboxes like transport trucks, grinding gears is part of the driving.

The only time that I may use double clutching, would be on a minus 10 degree morning when the manual tansmission fluid is cold and thick so the shifting is notchy, as the fluid is like honey and can't slow the synros fast enough to allow engagement, double clutching works for that but it's still slow going.

I'm surprised a '48 Willies Jeep has syncros ???

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
We currently don't have any transmission issues but just in case I'm going to start looking up parts for a 6 speed 02Q Transmission and axles as well. If I take my time I maybe able get a deal or two. :thumbsup: