GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - deAutoKey 1800 Lumen CREE LED Fog Light Kit

The Yetti

Ready to race!
Go for it, I love this kit.

Yeah I installed them last night, when I did I tested them and got no bulb out so I taped them on top of the housing and called it a night. Then they came on with an error! So resistors here I come!

Also considering shutting off cornering lights because that flicker is really annoying.

Jimmytt01

Ready to race!
Can you give me an idea of where you put the resistors? They get super hot. Only idea I came up with was to let them dangle some where. May be I am just paranoid but don't want to risk melting or a fire. The light out put is amazing so I hope I can get them in a good spot otherwise I will be just turning around and selling them.

Thanks.... Jim

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Can you give me an idea of where you put the resistors? They get super hot. Only idea I came up with was to let them dangle some where. May be I am just paranoid but don't want to risk melting or a fire. The light out put is amazing so I hope I can get them in a good spot otherwise I will be just turning around and selling them.

Thanks.... Jim

Having them simply floating is fine too.

They get up to 200 degrees but your car can handle up to 500 degrees as halogen lights get even hotter than that, so there is no chance of a fire due to the heat given by the resistors.

spiker369

on air, don't care

They get up to 200 degrees but your car can handle up to 500 degrees as halogen lights get even hotter than that, so there is no chance of a fire due to the heat given by the resistors.

Are you saying every part of the car can handle up to 500 degrees? I could be wrong but I doubt the plastics in the wheel well will withstand that amount of heat. Maybe the metal parts of the fog light housing can withstand that temperature. I'm asking because I don't know.

Jimmytt01

Ready to race!

Thanks... I have them floating and will keep and eye on them... The light out put is amazing can't wait til it gets dark.

rpandresen

Ready to race!
Just installed yesterday and I was very disappointed in how difficult this was. My kit came without any 3M tape so I was forced to zip tie them all over the place. Feels super sketch to know that I've got ballasts and resistors dangling inside my car rather than secured. The light output is fantastic, but this kit should come with 3M like it's advertised.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Just installed yesterday and I was very disappointed in how difficult this was. My kit came without any 3M tape so I was forced to zip tie them all over the place. Feels super sketch to know that I've got ballasts and resistors dangling inside my car rather than secured. The light output is fantastic, but this kit should come with 3M like it's advertised.

Sorry about that, but if you email deAutoKey@gmail.com with your info, they will ship you out 3m tape tomorrow, I sent them a msg already letting them know to expect an email.

I also sent you a PM here, and you can let me know your info and I can send it to them so it can go out tomorrow.

And thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Thank you

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Installed these as fogs the other day. All I can say is Wow. Very pleased.

The light is very bright, and crisp white, with a slight hint of blue. These baby's illuminate areas I never knew I could see at night from the driver seat (thing of a half-done, nearly 180 degree viability, extending out wards at least 50ft in all directions). What I like is that the light that shines on these new-found areas isn't direct light; it's like a "peripheral" light (for lack of a better phrase). Which means people aren't blinded by the light, though they're lit up. Does any of this make sense? Lol.

Anyway, yeah these and the license plate LEDs are probably my favorite deautokey products I've purchased so far :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Was doing some maintenance, when I noticed this on the outside cover inside the wheel well:

Closer....

That's melted plastic. The resistors for these kits get extremely HOT (duh), and the plastics on our cars are NOT safe from the heat:

Prob my own fault for assuming the plastics in the wheel well area were as heat-tolerant as the actual headlight/fog light housing plastics. I didn't keep my resistors "free floating", as there's nothing to secure them to.

Any ideas anyone on what I an do to prevent further melting of plastics??

Exhaust wrap perhaps? :(

Last edited:

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
that resistor needs fins. an idea may be to use artic silver heat past and a real resistor heat sink something like this (see attached)

Attachments

• 4DIS.JPG
    4DIS.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 395

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion

^Fire, probably not. Melting plastics? Very likely.

Are you saying every part of the car can handle up to 500 degrees? I could be wrong but I doubt the plastics in the wheel well will withstand that amount of heat. Maybe the metal parts of the fog light housing can withstand that temperature. I'm asking because I don't know.

You are correct about wheel wells. I have learned the hard way.

that resistor needs fins. an idea may be to use artic silver heat past and a real resistor heat sink something like this (see attached)

Thanks for the idea! Looks like that might be pretty bulky, but may try it [emoji106]

Last edited: