GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - deAutoKey 1800 Lumen CREE LED Fog Light Kit

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
robeeeerob - sorry to see that, it is suggested to always have resistors attached to metal and that should have been stated here. We are sorry for the confusion. Headlights/taillights are able to handle 500+ degrees, including plastic bulb holders due to the high temps lights can reach. It should have been more clear that the parts that do not come in contact with lights such as the wheel well will not be able to handle high temperature.

a setup like this would be best - this allows you to attach this in more places such as plastic since the resistor will be on the metal:

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
You are correct about the temperature impact, I would wrap it with PTP exhaust wrap and SS zip ties

Thanks for the feedback! This is actually what I did: picked up a small roll of some exhaust wrap and did about 2 full wraps (about 8 inches worth of wrap total) around each resistor (snug, but not tight). It was like $15 for the SS zip ties, so in lieu of those, I used very thin copper wire (wrapped it a couple times around the wrapped resistor, then tied a not). Do you think it's okay that I used copper wire? Was a little worried the copper wire could mess with some of the other electrical components or wiring?

robeeeerob - sorry to see that, it is suggested to always have resistors attached to metal and that should have been stated here. We are sorry for the confusion. Headlights/taillights are able to handle 500+ degrees, including plastic bulb holders due to the high temps lights can reach. It should have been more clear that the parts that do not come in contact with lights such as the wheel well will not be able to handle high temperature.

a setup like this would be best - this allows you to attach this in more places such as plastic since the resistor will be on the metal:

Awesome suggestion! Looks very cost-effective, and not too bulky. I may try this if I feel like the exhaust wrap isn't holding up, or if I just want something more secure. Thanks for the feedback! :w00t:

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for the feedback! This is actually what I did: picked up a small roll of some exhaust wrap and did about 2 full wraps (about 8 inches worth of wrap total) around each resistor (snug, but not tight). It was like $15 for the SS zip ties, so in lieu of those, I used very thin copper wire (wrapped it a couple times around the wrapped resistor, then tied a not). Do you think it's okay that I used copper wire? Was a little worried the copper wire could mess with some of the other electrical components or wiring?

Awesome suggestion! Looks very cost-effective, and not too bulky. I may try this if I feel like the exhaust wrap isn't holding up, or if I just want something more secure. Thanks for the feedback! :w00t:

Ok, the exhaust wrap sounds like a good idea, keep us updated.

Thank you

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
My worry would be that a wrapped resistor may eventually overheat and go out. Depending on what solder is used it may overtime cause a break in the circuit. The heat needs to be dissipated effectively.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
My worry would be that a wrapped resistor may eventually overheat and go out. Depending on what solder is used it may overtime cause a break in the circuit. The heat needs to be dissipated effectively.

I spoke to our lead tech, and yes the resistor should be mounted to metal so it can dissipate the heat.

They come with a lifetime warranty so if the resistors do go out, they will replace them they said, but if you want to try to avoid that, mounting them to metal would be the best idea.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion

Thanks for sharing the insight, Jerome!

I spoke to our lead tech, and yes the resistor should be mounted to metal so it can dissipate the heat.

They come with a lifetime warranty so if the resistors do go out, they will replace them they said, but if you want to try to avoid that, mounting them to metal would be the best idea.

Had the inner wheel well lining off cus I installed turbo outlet pipe and DV+ today, so I figured I'd adjust my resistor setup. It's looking good, and not touching anything else but the metal bracket it's screwed to. I feel much more comfortable with it now:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Hyde- so color temp they are more of a match to the OEM HID? I haven't picked up my bulbs and ballasts yet for my OEM retrofit. I'll pick up OEM bulbs if it matches these.

MickB6

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got my LED foglight kit from deAutoKey.

Question: Can these be installed without removing the bumper?

I was thinking of jacking the front of the car and removing just the wheel wells and belly pan?

golf 6

Ready to race!
If it was me I would remove fog lights then drop the cables down to the fogs that would/should be the best option

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Just got my LED foglight kit from deAutoKey.

Question: Can these be installed without removing the bumper?

I was thinking of jacking the front of the car and removing just the wheel wells and belly pan?

Yes, I did it without removing the bumper. I did it exactly how you mentioned: removed belly pan and wheel well

MickB6

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I did it without removing the bumper. I did it exactly how you mentioned: removed belly pan and wheel well

Awesome, thank you my friend! I'm going to buy a couple of brackets like what you used so the resistors are attached to metal. Thanks for post up the picture.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, thank you my friend! I'm going to buy a couple of brackets like what you used so the resistors are attached to metal. Thanks for post up the picture.

Sweet! Np man :w00t: By the way, the pic I posted above w/ bracket is the right side (passenger side) wheel well. Removed the wheel, under belly, and wheel well lining... and poof, perfect view of the fog light area to work in.

You'll love the deAutoKey set as fogs... they're amazing, and I get tons of compliments on them. Really illuminates everything in all angles so well, and they don't blind on coming traffic.

Last edited: