GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSR Clutch Kit Break In

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Hey guys,

Just got my make your own RSR kit in, loving it so far, totally makes me excites to drive.

Question though, anyone know how long I should break this guy in for? I'm at just under 200 miles at the moment for break in, nothing about 3.5k or more than half throttle. 2-300 miles more?

I've been on the stock tune and I'm anxious to open things back up!

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Once you get a couple heat cycles in, you should be set. The 500 mile break in is overrated but depending how many miles you drive on each trip, that many miles might be needed. It just really depends on how many miles you drive each time(like going to work)

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I drove 90 just getting it back from where I had it done

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
From what I've read on this forum a few hundred miles (500?) seems to be the standard before you start beating on it (getting into boost, hard launches, aggressive downshifts).

On other forums I've read that once the pedal feel becomes consistent you can start shifting more aggressively.

I may be wrong (so I'm hoping others will chime in and correct me if I am) but clutch break-in seems to be more about the engagement than actual holding power, which is (I think) why you want more city miles for break-in than highway miles.

Last edited:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I did the 500 mi break in. probably 80% city and 20% highway for the miles. i don't have a lot of mileage on it yet but i have over 10k on it so far

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
One of the most important things I was told was to not put a large load (that's what she said) on the clutch. I.E. full throttle at low RPM's. I was easy on it for about 500 miles.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I went with a drop in but I stayed out of boost for the first 200....quick bursts from 3k to 4.5k rpms once or twice per trip for the next 300.....then sporadic balls to the wall of the next 200......

I also purposely tooled around town as much as possible because I have 100 mile commute that's mostly highway....and highway miles don't really count.....

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
The object is to "seat" the clutch disc.....which i am to understand means allowing a certain amount of transfer of the material to the FW.....

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Well I was in phoenix rush hour traffic for about an hour after it was put in, then made the 90 mile trip home

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
The whole mileage break in is bogus. You need to USE the clutch for it to break in. An hour in rush hour traffic broke it in more than your 90 mile trip. Also, the rpm limits are useless as well. Normal shifting does not slip the clutch enough when you shift to make any difference. Granted 7k clutch dumps are going to be an issue, but goofing around on the highway, shifting at 3.5k vs 5k is going to make zero difference. If you can't drive the car without babying it after a new clutch install because it will slip, then it was a piece of shit clutch in the first place. Install it, drive the car how you normally would, and go along with your life

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
I'd rather be safe then sorry, you never know until you actually take it back out to see how its been treated.
I'd rather be SAFE then sorry and not pay to R&R just for a new clutch cause you couldn't wait 500 miles.
Just break it in for about 500 miles, DO NOT launch the car, and once you're "driving", just drive as you normally would.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
No slipping. I've launched my car 3 times ever. Probably won't ever again lol