GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock to Stage 2

pdan

Ready to race!
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has any pointers about going directly to stage 2 from stock. It’s gotta save some money right??

Currently I’ve got an intake and a catback and I’m about to put in R8 coils and NGK plugs. I’ve also got a downpipe on the way that I’m going to be installing this month.

Haven’t gotten any tune yet mostly cause I was trying to save a little bit of money, not have to get a clutch, and because I still have about a year left on the CPO warranty.

However the more I think about it I may as well start saving for a clutch fund and go stage 2 (APR) as soon as I’ve got the money saved for both. Also side note, no real issues with running a downpipe without the tune correct?? Except for the CEL that may or may not be fixed with a spacer, as I’m CBFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Might as well wait until you have the aftermarket clutch in before going with a tune. Take a good look at the factory clutch disc once it's out. The springs on it are about the width of your pinky finger. LOL

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
sounds like you already have your plan.
Although i would recommend COBB with a Stratified Tune. Its about the same price as APR stage 2 (assuming you aren't using their down-pipe). And when it comes time to sell the car or go back to stock you can un-marry the Accessport and sell it for like 80% of what you paid for it

CHerna

Ready to race!
sounds like you already have your plan.
Although i would recommend COBB with a Stratified Tune. Its about the same price as APR stage 2 (assuming you aren't using their down-pipe). And when it comes time to sell the car or go back to stock you can un-marry the Accessport and sell it for like 80% of what you paid for it

x2 :word:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Plus with Cobb you don't end up supporting APR. Win win!

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Stage 1 I could run factory clutch. Two days after stage 2 I started slipping so bad It really pissed me off. Also APR only charges 150 to upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2 so really your are only losing about 200 bucks if you go in order. I personally would do it all over again the way I did. It gave me appreciation and knowledge for each step. I started at stage 1 and then went FMIC and DP then stage 2 then the bug hit me and I went crazy and did about everything I possibly could prior to K04. Now I am in the process of GT3071 build.. And I would do it all over again. Just my .02

You can absolutely run a DP on stock tune or stage 1 with some minimal gains. It will also sound much better. You can get an 02 spacer, some had to do the 90* spacer on stock tune to mitigate the CEL. As soon as you get the stage 2 tune though, it is automatically coded to run w/ out the CEL.

pdan

Ready to race!
Thanks for the responses, and yeah I really think about just going stage 1 any day every day. I haven’t yet because I keep telling myself don’t do anything that could ruin the warranty ha yet here I am with a downpipe on the way.

Also I had decided on APR because I live 15 mins from the headquarters, but I’ve been looking more and more into a Cobb port with a stratified tune. It’s the only other tune I’m really considering. Still doing my research, but it seems like APR puts more power down. The access port really does seem appealing however.

pdan

Ready to race!
You can absolutely run a DP on stock tune or stage 1 with some minimal gains. It will also sound much better. You can get an 02 spacer, some had to do the 90* spacer on stock tune to mitigate the CEL. As soon as you get the stage 2 tune though, it is automatically coded to run w/ out the CEL.

Thanks, I was pretty sure but just wanted to confirm. I think I read some post that said it might affect long term trims or something. I’ll probably just order that j curve spacer from RAI and try my luck with CEL.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Going from stock to stage 2 this week. Currently have a full turbo back Beluga exhaust with a spacer for the o2, no CELs at all. As for a tuner I went with Eurodyne Maestro because I can tune it myself if I want, as in at home and actually mess with fueling and such. I considered APR and others but didn't want to have to go to a shop to have tunes changed or updated, I'd rather do it in my garage.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Thanks, I was pretty sure but just wanted to confirm. I think I read some post that said it might affect long term trims or something. I’ll probably just order that j curve spacer from RAI and try my luck with CEL.

You can re-set your long and short term fuel trims w/ VCDS. I would think it might have a slight affect on them, but nothing to be concerned about. but I don't know tbh. I ran stage 1 w/ DP for some time and even w/ out the stage 2 tune, you can definitely feel a smoother power band up top. Stage 2 from stage 1 w/ downpipe used to be not that different (though it was a little different), but now they have that new high torque stage 2 file which I was k04 before they came out w/ that. I would like to think the difference between stage 1 and 2 now is def worth it.

pdan

Ready to race!
You can re-set your long and short term fuel trims w/ VCDS. I would think it might have a slight affect on them, but nothing to be concerned about. but I don't know tbh. I ran stage 1 w/ DP for some time and even w/ out the stage 2 tune, you can definitely feel a smoother power band up top. Stage 2 from stage 1 w/ downpipe used to be not that different (though it was a little different), but now they have that new high torque stage 2 file which I was k04 before they came out w/ that. I would like to think the difference between stage 1 and 2 now is def worth it.

Thanks for the tip, yet another reason that I really need to get VCDS.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

Pulling the battery or clearing faults with any old OBD2 reader will clear fuel trims

gdub09

Ready to race!
Went Eurodyne stage 2 tonight. Its awesome! First gear is a complete joke and 2nd its much better. It probably doesn't help I have crappy all seasons and it was 24 degrees tonight.

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
Definitely get a limited slip differential when you have the clutch installed. This is my biggest regret, I would be a hell of a lot happier now. Let’s face it, if you can afford it you will have a ko4 or bigger on the car sooner than you think. I refuse to do it now knowing how much cheaper the labor would have been.